Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Bonnet latch / cable failure. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Bonnet latch / cable failure.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bonnet latch / cable failure.  (Read 3939 times)
Malcolm73

View Profile

Bonnet latch / cable failure.
« on: May 12th, 2013, 9:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Although I have regularly checked and lubricated the cable mechanism on my 24v Ultima this morning the releasse lever is slack.

Any help much appreciated, also go and check yours NOW!

Regards Malcom.

IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: Bonnet latch / cable failure.
« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2013, 11:40am »

Common problem I'm afraid.   I did a post a long time ago about how to attach a piece of wire and secretly hide it behind the grill, enabling one to catch it with a wire coat hanger and pull to open the bonnet in an emergency.

I believe there is a way to get the bonnet un-latched by putting a hand up behind the front spoiler, but I'm not sure how it's done.   It is covered on here somewhere.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2013, 12:20pm »

Have a look here:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1275928797;start=0

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1218373093;start=0

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1276067286;start=0
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2013, 5:15pm »

Thank you both PJD and Tompion for replying.

It seem that I may have two options. 1) Remove the botom tray and then by making a suitable bar attempt to push aside the bonnet latch from the underside of the car.  2)  Removing the retaining bolts from the rear of the front grill when presumably access can be made to the bonnet latch from the front of the car.

I do have a reasonable set of tools, also various pieces of bar and a lathe so that even using a round bar I could attach a flat plate on the end and then endeavour to push the bonnet latch aside from beneath the car as suggested on one of Tompion's  web sites.

As my D.O.B. is 1932 neither method appeals but should I attempt route 1) or 2) ?  Any comments appreciated.

IP Logged
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2013, 11:11am »

At present I have not opened the bonnet of my car!

From Tompion's posting I have selected method www.fordscorpio - 1218373093 etc. in which Gozz describes a tool. I have selected a 27" length of 1/2" Dia.  aluminium  bar and threaded one end 3/8" British Standard Fine thread. Onto the threaded bar at right angles I have attached a piece of steel plate measuring 3" x 1" x 3/16" generally copying the suggestions made by Gozz  on the 10th. August 2008.

Late last night I had a go but could not locate anything to push and gave up.

It would help considerably if  I could examine the mechanism on another Scorpio. I live generally between Stourbridge and Bromsgrove, about 13 miles from Birmingham.

I have also decided to replace the aluminium with a 29" length of 15mm diameter steel bar.

In the cabin of the car I easily removed the end  inner part of the cable and gave it a good pull, it is obviously not broken.

A garage is going to have a go tomorrow (Friday) at 8.00 A.M.

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2013, 1:51pm »

Malcolm. I've had a look at my 2 0 ltr and it seems the tool you've made up is about the right size. The only help I can give from here is to say that the latching mechanism is in a slot in the slam panel. So you would need to actually locate the bent section in the slot in the panel. before you could apply sideways pressure to release it. In other words if you are on the underside of the slam panel you'll find nothing. I suggest you feel up to the slam panel then ease the tool back until it will move up a fraction then see if it will 'hit the slot'.Essentially you are trying to enter a letter box which is only open on the engine side.

UPDATE. Malcolm I've taken some photos for you BUT my B...y Flickr account will not let me in!!!. If you PM me your e-mail I'll send them to you.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2013, 3:37pm »

Hello Simmo,

P.M. has been sent

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 16th, 2013, 9:28pm »

Scorp bonnet latch 002  

This may help to understand the text of my earlier message. Photo 1 shows the cable. Photo 2 shows the 'letter box' access slot which it is necessary to locate with the actual release lever to the left.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: May 18th, 2013, 9:25pm »

This is a photo of the tool made up by Malcolm in order to open the bonnet of his Scorp when the cable became detached. He will do a write up in due course.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:49pm »

To realise that the under dashboard lever does not work is a shock and to read the three choices available published by Tompion is daunting. The method outlined by Gozz (Mail Ref ending 093 ) is realistically the only way to solve the problem.

I did make a light weight tool from a 1/2” aluminium round bar with a flat steel top but it was not really controllable and after an hour on my back I gave up.

The photographs recently supplied by Simmo clearly show the bonnet catch mechanism that is within the steel ‘letter box’.

While everything is working I do suggest that you study the bonnet catch just in case you also lose control over the bonnet.

Simmo has now shown my photograph of the tool that I made, it is an improvement on the one (Mail Ref. 093) described by Gozz on 10th. Aug. 2008. My prototype shown is 29” long x 15mm diameter steel bar but 26” is sufficient with one cross drilled 3/8” diameter hole 23” from the top plate being about right. The top plate is 75mm long x 18mm wide x 3/16” thick and the 15mm bar is screwed tightly into the plate, I used 3/8” British Standard Fine thread.

Looking  towards the front of the car the right hand edge of the 3/16” steel plate is used to push the bonnet catch lever..

As I did not enjoy my initial failed attempt on my back under my 24V Ultima the car was put on a garage ramp at 8.00 A.M last Friday. One mechanic held a lamp and Martin (A good friend and the M.O.T. tester!) gripped the short 4.1/2” x 3/8” control handle in his right hand, third hole down, and provided the push with his left hand. I was near the ramp and was astounded when the bonnet lifted at 8.02 A.M.

The cable was not broken but the inner had come off the bonnet catch lever. Martin put it back on to the lever and secured it with a plastic tie.
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17th, 2018, 11:10am »

Well 5+ years on and for me this forum proves its worth, as I suspect it will do for others for decades to come. So having finally finished the odd jobs required on the Cosworth estate, like wheel bearing, discs, pads, fix headlight adjusters, and replace half sills (the job that delayed things the longest, and turned out to be unrequired as the couple of small holes turned out to be just that, and not symptomatic of any serious rot inside, in fact it was absolutely solid and perfect inside). So MOT'd, Insured, Taxed, all it needed was an oil change and time to use it!.
Pulled bonnet release, nothing...................................

A quick read of this forum identifies the problem, so make up tool, remove undertray, and spend an hour on my back getting nowhere!  In desperation have a good look and whilst yes you cant get your arm up to where you think the catch might be, if lying on your back facing back of radiator you insert your arm to the right hand side you can get it far enough up that your elbow gets to the bigger gap on the right and then you can bend your arm to the left and work your finger tips along the top of the slam plate until you find the lever and it takes only a gentle pull with one finger tip to hear the bonnet go click and release.  Of course when its released you find the reason you couldn't release it with the tool is that it is much futher to the left of centre than I think I was working, and also there is a sticky up piece of metal on the slam plate just to the left of the lever that if you do get the tool that far over is likely to fool you its the lever so you spend time trying to move an immoveable object.

I  have reasonably long arms so that may have helped, but now having seen the mechanism the tool I would make would be a stiff piece of wire (like a bike wheel spoke)  about 8" long with a hook of about 1/2" radius on one end, and then insert arm up at right hand side of radiator with wire pointing to the left and then just work to the left pulling against anything you can find until you find the lever when it should then pop.
On my car it wasn't the outer clip that had fallen out, but rather the inner had jumped out of its slot in the lever.  Have cable tied both in position, and also attached a long pull to the lever that I can get at in the future if the problem re-occurs.

But many thanks to all who have trodden this path before and bothered to document it!

Alan  
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17th, 2018, 3:36pm »

Glad you are sorted Alan and thanks for your report and suggestions. That is exactly why we document these things to save others a lot of work! Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25th, 2018, 4:55pm »

Should've put this up earlier

My bonnet cable broke last year (end broke off at release mechanism in engine bay). Didn't need any tools but was able to access the bonnet locking mechanism with hand.  

Simply a case of carefully moving oil cooler out of the way, then removing the fans (disconnect then unscrew) - then reach up and release the catch. Then used electrical cable connector on end of bonnet cable.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 25th, 2018, 6:51pm »

great post for future reference!
IP Logged
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 25th, 2018, 8:18pm »

Had this problem on my 2.0L a while ago. Got it up on ramps and was able to reach up and open the catch with my fingers. Didn't have to move or disconnect anything - probably more room on 2.0L.
Problem was simply that end of cable had popped out of holder so secured it with a twist of copper wire.
Advise this or a tie wrap as a preventative measure.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.