Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:19pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Repairing Front bumper. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Repairing Front bumper.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Repairing Front bumper.  (Read 1452 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Repairing Front bumper.
« on: Nov 28th, 2013, 11:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given that these things are made of re-cyled egg shells.
I am trying to repair mine! which has had a bump in the past, So i have taken it off, I repaired a long split on the front by running a soldering iron along the back. like a weld, but the biggest problem is the mountings, which are all broken up! except the top mounts, i hope to make some box like fittings like the ones on there, for the lower supports, i then hope to reinforce the whole thing with a wooden batten inside, and fill with expanding foam to stiffen it all up! Anyone successfully repaired one? cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Repairing Front bumper.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2013, 1:07pm »

Sounds like the sort of thing Tompion would be up to!!.  Grin Photo's would be useful in due course if the 'system' works!. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2013, 2:56pm »

Thanks Simmo, The system at the moment is a bit of 2" by 1"! however it has great possibilities, all the rest of bits needed are there already! and fully adjustable, i will do diagram later,  Winkbob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2013, 6:08pm »

I have no pic’s  I’m afraid, so will describe what I did if it helps anyone, My 18 year old bumper was cracked all along the top of number plate, plus spider shaped cracks on the right with a hole! and the bit that fell out! So i took the bumper off , it was only held by the 2 top bolts (1 each side) below this are the main fixings which are adjustable,  Again the plastic box shape recesses for the lower mounts  were all cracked up, and fell off! However the lower metal brackets were very useful, in their normal position they point towards the rear of the car, To re-enforce the jelly like bumper, I hoped to beef it all up on the inside, So basically i turned  the lower mount bolts up 3 turns each, and had them pointing towards the front, While i was doing this i had decided to replace the headlamps with some tinted covers on, so with these off it is possible to slide a piece of wood 2x1 x 38 inches, in from one end, I bolted this (with the 2 inches vertical, to the turned around fixings, working through the gaps the lights exposed, (There is a vertical lip with a hole in the right place in each bracket ) to support the bumper, I left a 5mill gap between the bumper on top of the wood for the expanding foam, I Re-fitted the lenses, tried to match up all the cracks, and taped over them with 2” wide tape,  Then took the number plate off, drilled through the bumper , (where the plate was,) at an upward angle, For the foam nozzle, the backside of the bumper was also weak, so taped that up, sealing the gap. Then pumped in 2 cans of foam, one at a time, (9 hours between) the foam forced the cracks to line up a bit better, but i will skim with filler and primer, and re spray, A bit of a bodge! But it won’t fall off! The bumper is very strong now and does not need replacing.
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.