Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:20pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Ready for MOT !PASSED »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Ready for MOT !PASSED
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ready for MOT !PASSED  (Read 1617 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Ready for MOT !PASSED
« on: Dec 7th, 2013, 11:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think i probably know the answer, But have MOT on monday! worried about emissions after engine rebuild! is there a product to flush the engine? exhaust pipe sooty from before rebuild! Also i have 2 different makes of tyre on the front! 225-50-16, the other 205-55-16, is this a definite no no?  
Cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Ready for MOT !
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 12:47pm »

on Dec 7th, 2013, 11:08am, ro284 wrote:
I think i probably know the answer, But have MOT on monday! worried about emissions after engine rebuild! is there a product to flush the engine? exhaust pipe sooty from before rebuild! Also i have 2 different makes of tyre on the front! 225-50-16, the other 205-55-16, is this a definite no no?  
Cheers Bob

Tyres should be the same size on each axle - I'd say a definate fail if the tester spots it.  Angry
You can have different size tyres on the front & rear but in that case the larger tyres must be on the rear...like a dragster  Grin
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 2:09pm »

on Dec 7th, 2013, 12:47pm, Scorpio_Mike wrote:

Tyres should be the same size on each axle - I'd say a definate fail if the tester spots it.  Angry
You can have different size tyres on the front & rear but in that case the larger tyres must be on the rear...like a dragster  Grin

Nothing in the regs state the wider tyres must be on the rear - even though common sense dictates it.
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 2:24pm »

Yep.  Mine has 205/60 on 12 spokes on the rear, there Uniroyal M&S and they're d**n good!   225/55 on the front.   Tester said that was fine, but as said earlier, same size tyres on the axle.

As for emissions, I put Comma injector cleaner through the cars twice a year, it does make a difference for the readout, I know this cause we've got a 'SUN-Machine' in the M/V department at work.   New oil and air filter would maybe help too.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 7:17pm »

Thanks for replies guys, The rear tyres are 2 steel spares that normally live in the boot, so its got the dragster style  Wink (i believe all cars have more stable handling if the front of the chassis is lower than the rear!)  going by past experience with an RX7, The two fronts are both the same make and tread pattern, so he may not spot the difference, of course i will replace for all matching tyres on 12 spokes, once i have the mot! i carry kids a lot, The mot guy is friendly but if its wrong he will pick it up, as he should, Its been an age since i srarted rebuilding engine, too long, i won't do another, too old now,
Thanks PJ, i have used Comma injector cleaner before, and the engine runs so much better almost imediatly, so will give that a go, fingers crossed time again!
Cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 10:55pm »

I think that as long as the are the same type, eg radial, on the same axle, size is not an issue. I had a car go through with, 1 x 195 60 15 and 1 x 195 65 15 on the same axle go through. You may have a problem with a big miss match though.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 11:38pm »

Doesn't it cause errors in the ABS if the rolling radius is not the same on each wheel / axle Huh
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 9th, 2013, 5:48pm »

Thanks for replies guys, i have not noticed wheel size causing any problems with ABS as yet Mike, the car passed MOT today,  Smiley So now i can get back to sorting out what happened for the engine to blow a head gasket! Which i think was the Rad Switch failing,and engine overheating! Shocked So i have fitted a Kenlow Fan Controller to operate the existing cooling fans, an indicator light, (and with the capillary tube bulb into Top Rad hose,) And can switch from slow speed fans in winter to fast speed in summer, if needed,  i fitted the controller behind the driver’s side cover, (under bonnet next to Headlight) Also can’t praise Milliput enough! Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.