Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:12pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fuel Tank »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Fuel Tank
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fuel Tank  (Read 1513 times)
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Fuel Tank
« on: Mar 9th, 2015, 1:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Scorp leaks when topped-right-up.   It doesn't pour out, more like seeping/maybe a wee dribble!   It's a 2.3 saloon.   I think the straps are in a bit of a state at the back where attached to the chassis.    

So, are they terribly expensive new?

Are they a cow to fit?

Would a used one be worth a look?

New straps available?

Any advice gratefully accepted
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: Mar 9th, 2015, 6:32pm »

Fuel tanks are prone to leaking around the seam where the 2 halves are welded together, also dirt can collect on the top of the seam which can lead to corrosion.
Tank straps may be available still - not difficult to do but can be troublesome if the captive nut on the retaining clip shears off - similar fixing system on other Fords, Granada & Sierra...and I've done a few tank strap replacements over the years.
Don't bother looking at a used one, will probably be in a similar condition to yours.
You might be able to make a repair with a piece of flat thin steel strip and nuts & bolts but make sure they don't rub against the tank.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2015, 9:20am »

The only place on the tank that looks rather rusty is the point where the neck joins the main body of the tank.   The seam around the middle seems pretty-good all-round.   So far I've only seen new ones at £400!   It's a pity the previous model Granada tank looks different, a new one of those is only £119.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
gemeg22171

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2015, 12:39pm »

Worth trying a firm called RS Turbo  
 www.rsturbo,com based in Bournemouth.
 I bought a new tank a while ago from them.
 good service. £80.   still got them on web site
 now £95, didn't check if  still in stock.

Found a phone num for them 01202  547070.
 Might be a long shot - good luck.

gemeg
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2015, 11:56pm »

Here’s the link for that:
http://rsturbos.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2 _47_89&products_id=1335&zenid=5840b76bce5cecece668c2c0a8d7d967

Otherwise using the part no from here:
http://eucatparts.com/?action=cat_ford_part&s_id_part=21754&s_id _model=84&s_code_image=Z001399500

I came upon this from Germany:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251854181090
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2015, 8:31am »

Brilliant Gentlemen.   I shall get in contact with that RS Turbos, then I'll get or make straps and new rubbers.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2015, 11:20pm »

Did you get a tank PJ ? I have a new one here,all my Scorpios have gone leaving me with many spares,as you may remember I ran a fleet  of stretched funeral vehicles necessitating a stock of bits to cover most contingencies arising.The tanks almost always leaked around the filler neck owing to mud splattering from the offside rear wheel causing corrosion there.
                  GOZZ.
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 17th, 2015, 7:45pm »

Didn't get one yet!   Wink
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 17th, 2015, 11:49pm »

I know you reside in the Highlands PJ so no doubt the carriers will rob you,however if you can't manage to find a lesser price I could send you this one at £100 all in.When these tanks are dispatched from the vendors they are loosely packed in a large cardboard box,thus on arrival they are protruding through in one or two places,I had to send one back owing to bad denting.In the morning I'll examine this one,and as long as it's OK and you want it,I will pack it properly.
             GOZZ.
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: May 18th, 2015, 2:03pm »

Sounds Good.

£100 including delivery?   You could post to my Nephew in Aberdeen.   That shouldn't take any loading.   How do you want me to pay?   I could send a cheque, or PayPal or bankers draft, or?   Naturally I'd expect you to wait for any clearance before sending, I'm in no hurry anyway.
Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 18th, 2015, 11:17pm »

OK PJ,I extracted the tank from it's box today,it's virtually unscathed,if you would like to PM me neph's address I will pack it up and despatch it in the next day or two.You've been around long enough to not be dodgy,so I'll have a cheque from you,paypal tend to be a tad grasping,it may have been invented by a Jock  Grin.Let me get it off to neph,then we'll sort out payment details.
                 GOZZ.
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29th, 2018, 9:00pm »

Again a late follow up on an old thread. Filled the Estate tank earlier this week, and probably done 60 ish miles since. Had it up on the ramp to today to finish of undersealing inside the rear wheel arch lips before re-fitting the the plastic arch lines, and noticed a damp patch on the front of the tank that visible where the filler pipe joins it. Wasn't there when I was working on it taking the liners out but probably didn't have much fuel in it.  Looking at it it starts on the top half of the tank and I would say around where the filler pipe joins the tank. My thought was that either the convoluted pipe that joins the filler pipe to the tank had a small split or the Jubilee clip that holds it onto the tank wasn't tight enough. However Jubilee clip too corroded to tighten or loosen and didn't have a spare the correct size, and not obvious split in the corrugated pipe. Reading this thread it appears that its more likely where the pipe actually joins the tank, is that correct?

Is it likely to leak if I no more than 3/4 fill the tank whilst sorting?  
Is the Tank under pressure when running, i.e a petrol resistant sealer around the neck unlikely to work?
Anyone had a leak there that was either just the corrugated pipe or the jubilee clip.
Anyone know if tanks are still available?

Sorry lots of questions  

Alan
IP Logged
Sir_Geffory

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 9th, 2018, 12:19pm »

Hello, hope i do understand right, you loosing fuel when tank is full? I had the same problem with my saloon. I thougt it was the filler pipe but I had two tiny holes next to it under the rust. I repaired it with "Weyer Steelbond" and it works great!
Greetings from Germany.
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10th, 2018, 4:16pm »

Many thanks, not loosing a lot, just noticed that with inner plastic wheel arch out that after filling the tank it was a bit damp below the filler.

Looks like one of those little winter jobs to pull the filler pipe off have a good clean up around there and see if I have a similar problem to the one your found. The rest of the tank looks solid and rust free.

Alan
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.