Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:10am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Drop Link Replacement »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Drop Link Replacement
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Drop Link Replacement  (Read 551 times)
brds

View Profile Email

Drop Link Replacement
« on: Jul 14th, 2017, 2:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm changing the drop links on my '95 2.0L Estate prior to putting it back on the road after 3 years on SORN - this is hopefully the last in a long list of jobs.
I've got the car jacked up on the O/S (with additional safety blocks of wood) and managed to get the drop link off after a struggle - it's definitely worn.
Problem now is lining up the bottom of the new one with the hole in the anti-roll bar. I can just about lever the roll-bar down with a crow-bar but it's risky and I don't want to damage myself or the thread on the new link.
Question therefore is, how can I organise things to take the stress out of the roll bar and line things up easily.
Bob
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Drop Link Replacement
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14th, 2017, 2:22pm »

I think you need to jack up both sides of the front to let the suspension drop - if you only have 1 side jacked up, the anti-roll bar will still be under tension from the side which still has the wheel on the ground.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 14th, 2017, 2:37pm »

I think Mike is right. Get both sides off the ground. There is an article Here which may help.
 You will read that I had an issue with the top nut but there is another article   Here which explains that there may be another access point. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 14th, 2017, 6:42pm »

All done - I moved the car to where I could get at both sides and jacked the front up onto two bits of railway sleeper that I use as ramps.
The new O/S link then went in very easily.
N/S old bottom nut was very stiff and needed tapping with a club-hammer on the spanner - found that it's better to slacken them with the top still tight so as to stop the link bouncing about on the roll-bar. Old link then came out - it was also worn. The new one went in very easily.
Simmo - thanks for article links. I managed to get at the top nut flats by turning the steering but still had to grind down a spanner to make it thin enough to get at them. The new Delphi links are much better with the hexagonal key in the top.
Mike - The new steering wheel and load cover look very smart. I didn't have to change the airbag so kept the new one in case anybody ever needs one.
Thank you both very much.
Bob.

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14th, 2017, 9:24pm »

Glad you are sorted Bob.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.