Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:21am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Gearbox holding back? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Gearbox holding back?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gearbox holding back?  (Read 606 times)
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Gearbox holding back?
« on: Oct 10th, 2017, 10:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh  I am flummoxed!

24 valve Cossie Estate 1996.

No fault codes!  I start her up, tickover perfect, set off; gears engage perfectly - acceleration and gear change fine for miles then suddenly she will hold back, revs drop then pick up again - a slight heaviness on the throttle , revs drop again then pick up.  This will carry on for a while  and then repeat.  Yesterday  she came to a standstill twice, everything cut out. But then she will start up just dandy and carry on as though now't was ever wrong!  Then it is back to the above.  So frustrating.  Oh yes, almost forgot, the Sport Mode light stopped illuminating months ago with no adverse affect.

Recently I had an auto electrician checking out why the AC panel lights were working intermittently, and why the ac is playing up, sometimes on sometimes off. Also I had him check out the Traction Control and ABS light fault (he said it is a module behind the Dashboard Undecided.) I know he removed the drivers side air vent on top of the dash because he broke the fixing clips so it sits up and looks plug ugly. He recons the AC panel is worn.

It seems to me that the driving faults are instigated when I am on rough roads, which is pretty much every road.

I recon that there is a faulty connection somewhere, but where?  What are your thoughts and directions that can help me sort this mess out  Undecided

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Gearbox holding back?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2017, 11:44am »

Mike. The first thing I'd do is Clean the MAF Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2017, 2:18pm »

Check the two square plugs on the o/s inner wing, when my top hose went water got in there and it went crazy.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2017, 9:24am »

Spot on once again Simmo!  Cool.

I had assumed that once the Electrician had finished that he would have checked out the car for fault codes.  Not so, with the result that I ended up in the above quandry.  In the meantime it was suggested that the Loom was more than likely the cause and that maybe I should Scrap my other Cossie ("The Beast") which had just had a new loom and Cats fitted and had, at that time, a bad loss of Steering fluid and transfer the good items into the above Cossie.

Well, loath to follow that suggestion/s.  I checked out the fault codes finding that the Bank 1 Sensor 1 was duff.  Interestingly, I did not at that time clear the code.  I had a new Sensor fitted and drove on.  Everything was just a bad.  Waaaaa!  I was then advised to clear the Fault Code as the ECU was probably confused as a result of fitting a new Sensor but not clearing the Code.  I cleared the Code   Cheesy, one happy Cossie and one very happy and relieved Scorpio owner, ME!  

So once again thank you Simmo, my Red Cossie is running superbly as in "The Beast"

Mike   Cool
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2017, 11:10am »

Glad to know you are sorted and thanks for the feedback. Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2017, 11:24pm »

Jolly good.    I was watching this thread.   Yet again, our great knowledgeable friend and leader Simmo comes-up with the answer.  Happy Scorpio owners.    Smiley
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15th, 2017, 9:02am »

Peter, thank you for your comments but I'd say my knowledge was less than many members but I do have a good memory and, like you and others, have been here long enough to see most faults come and go! Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2017, 1:00am »

And jolly useful it is to the rest of us. Heartfelt thanks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.