Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:21pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« headlamp beam direction »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   headlamp beam direction
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: headlamp beam direction  (Read 392 times)
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

headlamp beam direction
« on: Oct 13th, 2018, 12:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Taking the car to europe next week and need to sort headlamps,  The user guide says on page 123 "The headlamp beam direction can be changed to suit driving on the left or right hand side of the road. Please consult your Ford Dealer"

Anyone any clues?

Alan
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: headlamp beam direction
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 7:03am »

No need to consult dealership There are little levers behind the headlamps which alter the beam direction. It takes a couple of mins as soon as you know " how to" Suggest you have a go at doing it BEFORE leaving and I always did mine whilst waiting for the ferry .
see THIS PAGE  
I also think it's in the handbook.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 7:42am »

The handbook does mention the facility BUT it says consult a Dealer!  Huh
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 6:11pm »

Hm, great link above, but know why the handbook says consult a dealer!  After removing Nearside lamp cover and assembling an array of lamps, standing on my head inside the bonnet (OK I exaggerate a bit) I eventually spot one of the levers, but reach it with my fingers?  not a hope if they had half the thickness (and they are not fat) and been about 8" long I might have done it, but otherwise not a hope. But eventually with a long thin screwdriver eventually got my 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock sorted and moved the lever to hear the assembly move with a satisfying clunk. So on to the Offside, well even having done the nearside and having and idea where things were, on the Cosworth you can see nothing, let alone reach, let alone get a screw driver in there, and even if I could at best all I would have done is waggle it about bending things I couldn't even see, until something broke!

Ok got to be an easier way!

I had had the offside headlight out earlier in the year to fix the micro up/down left/right adjustment knobs, which as an old Ford mechanic predicted had broken their internal levers, removing the headlight, splitting it and repairing the levers had been a relatively easy job, so thought Ok I'll just pop the headlight out,  move the lever and put the headlight back. And sure enough 3 torx screws to remover the side cover, then two 6mm bolts securing headlight, out it all comes, move lever, put back cover on, slot headlamp back in, 2 bolts, and side cover, done and dusted in about 3 mins, and way way quicker than trying to move the lever with light in place on the nearside.

Ok so thats the plan, make sure I have a torx screwdriver bit and a 10mm ratchet/socket and I'll be able to do both sides in under 5 mins when required.

Thought I'd best just check that the nearside would come out, so off with the side cover, undo two 6mm bolts and pull headlight out, but it won't come!  Huh?  (this is where the wise ones amongst you will say that's because you haven't undone the third bolt!) What third bolt?   Vaguely remember when I had removed the offside seeing what looked like a third mounting point, but there hadn't been a bolt in there, but yes on the nearside it was there, and just accessible if you look up under the corner of the bumper, so after 5 mins out it came. Quickly followed by the complete headlamp assembly.  

Well nearside with 3 mounting bolts seems no firmer than offside with two, as there are also 3 locating pins in addition to the bolts, so decision made, nearside going back without 3rd very difficult to get out bolt.

So now if I ever need to switch beam from RH to LH or back, or change a bulb, its easy, just remove headlight, do the required and pop it back, you don't even need to unplug the wiring harness as there is loads of slack.

Did also solve a further minor issue, had noticed that the switch in the car that adjusted headlight level  only worked on LH light, and assumed that a motor in the RH one had failed or something. Having both out at the same time revealed that the RH one is missing its motor completely, the wiring harness and plug is there, but the lump that is on the back of the LH headlamp is just missing!

Does anyone know if the motor is a free standing unit that plugs into the headlight assembly, or if there are headlight assemblies that come with motors, and others that don't?  

Alan
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 8:52pm »

The lever changes it from asymmetric to symmetric pattern (a flat cut off instead of the V shape beam).

You can add the motor to a standard headlight, details here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1314266379
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 11:42pm »

Many thanks for the link, which just leaves me to source a headlamp motor at some point.

Alan
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15th, 2018, 7:59am »

I because of short fat fingers I always carried a small rod in the car with which to "flick" the levers ....but some smart people said that they could always do it.
It is well documents on the forum ...... along time ago!
We always aim to please......
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.