Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:15pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« side lights won't go off »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   side lights won't go off
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: side lights won't go off  (Read 737 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

side lights won't go off
« on: Oct 13th, 2018, 12:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

R Reg estate 2.3 just put new battery in it but the problem was there before (killed the old battery) alarm horn disconnected (wonder why?).

No corrosion under battery and cleaned it up whilst changing for new one  

Car starts OK and all lights go out on dash, but as you turn engine off and take key out when you open the door the bong bong  lights on warning comes on.  
Radio works (asks for code) the Interior lights go out on 20sec delay as they should and pressing the drivers door swithch shuts the bong bong up but lights still on.

With the engine running the sidelights still on but switch in off position, headlights do work if you move the switch to headlights, will check all functions and write again.

All help welcome

Roy.
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: side lights won't go off
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 12:23pm »

Roy, has anyone removed the large connector to the main fusebox? It needs to be placed back VERY carefully or it will go down, seemingly correctly, BUT will be one row of pins out giving all sorts of issues.
There are two lugs on the connector which MUST be located before pushing it down. The old saying on here is "IF you think it's right the first time you've got it wrong"!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

There is a great post Here in How to do Things because of the problem. Good photos. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 1:40pm »

This is what works car starts and runs (stationary) fine working are
 reverse lights
 brake lights  
front and rear fog lights
headlights and full beam
tail lights
bith indicators and hazards
interior lights (incl 20 sec delay)
windows - all on individual switches
wipers front and rear
gearbox lights
horn
heater blower and climate panel
instrument cluster fine (flick reset etc all lights out just h/brake on on dash).
Radio (7000) but lost display which was working
When you turn lights on, all back lighting for instruments and climate work but in OFF position they all extinguish.
Sunroof motor works
Screen heater lights
Passenger heated seat lights up (driver's side appears not to work properly, possibly new switch)
Electric seats OK
Reverse dipping passenger mirror
Front and back fag lighters
TCS on and off on the dash
O/D light works
Driver's memory function works for mirrors and seat

Have small leaves under this fusebox so will porobably pass over to local spanner man.  
When engine running if you turn to park lights (anti clockwise past off) the side lights go out but on stopping on the key they come back on.

The big block connector mentioned by Simmo above seems to be seated correctly, have not removed this.

Can double lock on the key and get 2 winks from indicators, no pats fault showing, normal blink every 3 secs when locked but side lights still on, so have disconnected neg lead and left it.
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 3:16pm »

Check the connections on the back of the headlight switch and also in the connector itself - these have been known to melt and cause all sorts of funny things to happen.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 4:17pm »

Thanks Mike , have another light switch will see if I can change it tomorrow (after church  tee hee!)
 Possible to just disconnect multiplug and reconnect to the spare just to prove??
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13th, 2018, 4:31pm »

on Oct 13th, 2018, 4:17pm, Torbayboy wrote:
Thanks Mike , have another light switch will see if I can change it tomorrow (after church  tee hee!)
 Possible to just disconnect multiplug and reconnect to the spare just to prove??

Yes, that should be possible.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2018, 1:19pm »

Updated

Have taken half the dash out and disconnected the light switch and substitued 2 spare switches and the problem is still the same. Briefly the problem seemed cured till we touched the multiplug  (no switch connected).

The only way the side lights go off is with drivers door closed and the ignition on position 1 with the light switch set to park (left 1 notch fron off position)

looks like it has had a problem before as 1 wire has been taped just behind the multiplug connection, asked 1 auto electrician and reckoned fuse box.

Any thoughts?

Roy
IP Logged

Scorpio_Mike

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16th, 2018, 2:50pm »

Check that multiplug connector very carefully for any signs of heat damage - could be 2 contacts making intermittent contact.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2018, 3:42pm »

Thanks Mike

Looks like with no switch connected we have no sidelights on, as soon as you connect any of the switches sidelights come on.
 It appears that the yell purple wire is joined to 2 seperate wires (one is a lot thinner) and has a heat shrink (I think) band over the join about 5 inches back from the switch connector and wires taped to a bundle just before switch connector.
Having tried 5 different headlight switches (incl a blue Ghia type switch) we have kinda ruled the switch out, have spoken with Nick the auto elec man and he advised possibly stuck relay and give the fusebox a good dose of wd40, couldn't find a relay specific to sidelights so just sprayed the lot and put the lid back on.
 as I said before all other bits seem to work OK, still needs aircon and aircon rad fixing , sagging rear headlining and sills to do before MOT can be done.. Scorpios don't you jest love 'em  Huh
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: side lights won't go off updated
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2018, 1:18pm »

OK fixed now , signal sent from back of switch turned off the sidelights so now stay off when battery connected.
Been advised the dash lights were still on, seems a chafing wire back of ashtray was the cause, fixed but advised to keep an eye on it.
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26th, 2018, 7:35am »

OH The dreaded ASHTRAY problem. I haven't mentioned it for months. It used to be a common cause of the dash playing up and batteries going flat!
 Glad you got it fixed  

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26th, 2018, 8:29am »

Hi Dave,

As you say the dreaded ashtray, was told due to movement behind said offensive item the wires could be chafing.  
Can you enlarge on this as the I was led to believe "keep an eye on it" what are the fixes for this and what does it cause, as in this instance the dash lights were staying on (off now and ashtray not used).

Can't wait to get this one back on the road, real 1 owner from new and lavished £10k on maintenance over the years, mainly ford serviced till around five years ago, unfortunately could not get the original bill of sale, but did get a spar ex limo 55k  gearbox.
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27th, 2018, 7:01am »

It has to be one of the most inaccessible places to have live wires, even with the ignition OFF the lighter has a 12v supply. If I remember correctly you can get your fingers in there under the side trim and make sure the wires are out of the way , but its a long time ago I had my scorpio Sad
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 27th, 2018, 5:40pm »

Quick update, went to move car today and no bong bong warning with door open Shocked

Checked and a person un named had left the screw out in the door ajar switch, put the little b***r back and alls well, off to the bodyshop this week.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.