Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 10:11pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heated Windscreen Wiring Locations »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Heated Windscreen Wiring Locations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heated Windscreen Wiring Locations  (Read 459 times)
FlefasaurusRex

1998 Ultima Cosworth Estate, Panther Black

View Profile Email

Heated Windscreen Wiring Locations
« on: Jan 3rd, 2019, 1:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

Slowly working my way through the electrics on the Ultima, and surprise surprise the heated front windscreen is totally dead. The light on the button illuminates but that's about it, I've swapped the relay with the identical one in the passenger side fusebox (ignition something?) and both seem okay, fuses for both sides are okay too. I can see the two connections at the Base of the A-pillar and have cleaned them up, but what I want to know is where the top connections end up so I can test resistance and continuity without taking off all the pillar trim. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Heated Windscreen Wiring Locations
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2019, 5:32pm »

The top ones are earths so you can do a resistance test between the battery earth terminal & the lower screen terminals.

The only way to test the screen itself without the earth loom is to remove the trim to get at the terminals. It's 2 circuits top & bottom connections same side.

Further details here, the resistance reading is at the end:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1328395645
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
FlefasaurusRex

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2019, 4:49pm »

Just tested for resistance and continuity on the terminals, between the disconnected positive terminal and battery ground I'm pretty sure it's open circuit as the resistance kept climbing way past 150k ohms. Is it even worth investigating past this point? If its a simple soldering job once the trim is removed then I'll go down that route but if the windscreen is kaput then I'll move on.  
How easily accessible are the physical connectons to the glass? Or is it the earth terminal under the trim that has likely failed?
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4th, 2019, 6:34pm »

The front screen is prone to going wrong, my Granada scorpio screen only had a couple of wires/zones working, as has my Scorpio.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 4th, 2019, 9:47pm »

I think the physical connections are on the underside & probably bedded in the glass adhesive.

The connections to the earth wires are spades same as the lower connections - as you can see in the picture fairly mucky behind the trim so might be worth cleaning the connector.

I keep meaning to look at mine as it doesn't work but then think the times I need it are very rare so I don't bother.

I had a new screen on my last Scorpio - it lost most of the elements within about a year.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2019, 12:07am »

Mine stopped working not long after I got it.   However, just in the last couple of years of ownership, a chip in the 'swept-area' meant it would fail.   So, I used a hammer and a pin-punch to make that chip a bit bigger!   Autowindscreens + £40 and I got a lovely new clear screen, and working lovely.   Smiley
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
FlefasaurusRex

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2019, 3:57pm »

I'll dig out the rivet gun and have a go at the earth terminals when the weather clears up a bit. After that I guess I'll just have to live with it, shame really as its a nice feature to have, had it on our old Mondeo and it was great.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.