Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:18pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 12v electrics »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   12v electrics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 12v electrics  (Read 1989 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

12v electrics
« on: Jul 9th, 2021, 1:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Need some help, had fans shorting on the motor and had rewired from a seperate feed and all seemed well cutting in and out as the temp went up etc, and after having leccy man to check the problems below are not associated with this work Smiley

Car starts drives ok no heater as fans etc dead no front and rear screen heaters or lights on switches for them no clock no air con no interior lights,

fuse 17 (7.5a) blown and blows again on replacing, have had a small problem with door open light, due to switch in door,seems the car has a "bad spot" somewhere behind the dash engine loom Ok and back loom OK accoring to checks today.

Car left a week battery flat, previously last week it started and ran after left 4 days, needle flick after starting (probbaly due to fuse 17 blowing as has this before) lights wipers radio horn indicators fogs etc all working as is horn.

Require pointers, suggestions (not that sort!! Shocked) and help to get this sorted.
 Thanks for reading

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: 12v electrics
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2021, 10:03am »

Are you saying a problem with one door and interior lights or all doors.
There have been problems with the plastic of the interior lights breaking allowing the live to short to earth but don't know if it would cause fuse 17 to blow. you could try pulling relay 5 (interior lights) - wrongly listed as rear screen in the handbook.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2021, 10:57am »

To clarify all interior lights do not light, the drivers door always shows open on the dash, and having queried this in the past it is Led driven, not bulb as in the granada so will not ruin the dash display. The car has functioned with this error for over a year now, and the switch in the door is hard to get at so it has been "lived with).

Wink
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12th, 2021, 1:05pm »

Roy

The wiring diagrams aren’t always correct but had a look through – not easy as info scattered all over the place Smiley
It lists F17 as supplying:
Instrument interface control
Diagnostic system
Charging system
(also engine control on the diesel)

So presumably blown F17 is why the battery is running down.
It shows a splice somewhere behind the instrument cluster & the wire to the cluster as Orange/Blue.
Coming out of the cluster as White/Black, shown as .5 – so thin wires. For the 12 valve engine it then goes through connector C2521 & remains as White/Black heading for the alternator.

Connector C2521 is shown as a 6 pin connector – 2 rows of 3 pins and says it’s located in the engine compartment rear right hand side. If you can't see it you'll have to trace back from the alternator.
Try disconnecting it and see if the fuse still blows & you’ll know which side to look for the problem.
As I say the diagrams aren’t always right – there could be other items supplied by this fuse.

Dave
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:36pm »

Thanks, when it stops raining will ahve a look at that,

Have a spare 2 litre on the drive with most of the dash out will see if we can trace there before we shred his estate.

Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14th, 2021, 6:37pm »

It could be the alternator at fault so try disconnecting that if the connector C2521 isn't easy to find.
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23rd, 2021, 3:02pm »

OK so today after the rain had the blistering sun, that furnace has now gone also, so we go scorpio fixing Grin

Removed relay 5 as you mention (yellow one with base left behind) and replace fuse 17 with a 10a one, it blows Sad

Car starts OK 2 times while we try this , but an old problem surfaces.. try to start -- nothing no light on dash no click sweet fanny  adams, so old fix check terminals on battery and just for good luck press down on drivers side fuse  box bridge link, as normal all that was functioning now functions, had this several times when car was new to us but havent seen it for along time now.

Same things not working heeater and controls f & r screens heaters and button lights, interior lights, but radio works ('95 tiny model one) heater doors half open so it's nice and warm, fans that caused it all still workin fine cutting in and out, h lights, winkers et c and horn OK.

Haven't disconnected the alternator -yet.

IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25th, 2021, 7:58pm »

Not a good idea to use a bigger fuse, as mentioned it's a thin wire - you run the risk of melting it.
Assuming the diagrams are correct, ignore my first post, disconnecting the alternator is the first thing I'd try.
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 5:41am »

One ting to check is the BIG multi plug ( the long one) take it off and refit it NOT the one on the inner wing with the bolt on top. It is VERY easy to misalign the pins when refitting. Well worth checking and take care when refitting.  
IMHO anything is worth a go.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 8:18am »

on Jul 28th, 2021, 5:41am, Snoopy wrote:
One thing to check is the BIG multi plug ( the long one) take it off and refit it NOT the one on the inner wing with the bolt on top. It is VERY easy to misalign the pins when refitting. Well worth checking and take care when refitting.  
IMHO anything is worth a go.

There used to be photos of this on How To Do Things. Sadly they are no longer there due to Photobucket changes.
The fitting has two pins which MUST be located in the corresponding lugs on the Fusebox before closing the fitting down. IT WILL go down one row of pins out and thus cause all sorts of issues. It was once said that if it goes down easily first time 'it ain't right'! As Snoopy says well worth a check.
 Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 2:16pm »

Hi   Tompion we only had 10a fuses original was 7.5a none of those around. I take your point as wires are thin.thanks R

Mike & Dave Is this the plug you refer to-

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/fuseboxlocation.jpg

Obviously a left hand drive car, but I presume same plug
out of my depth here, really need someone to fix it.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 3:53pm »

Yes it is.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 6:36pm »

on Jul 28th, 2021, 2:16pm, Torbayboy wrote:
Hi   Tompion we only had 10a fuses original was 7.5a none of those around. I take your point as wires are thin.thanks R

Mike & Dave Is this the plug you refer to-

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/fuseboxlocation.jpg

Obviously a left hand drive car, but I presume same plug
out of my depth here, really need someone to fix it.

I don't think that plug is your problem.
I don't have access to my car at the moment but if I remember correctly look closely at the cover to the fusebox, if the plug isn't fitted correctly the cover won't quite sit flush to the fusebox over the plug - at the corner of the cover there's a small dimple that locates in a hole, if it's going home the plug is seated correctly.

According to the diagrams there isn't much connected to that fuse.
Disconnect the alternator & see if the fuse still blows.
IP Logged

brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 7:20pm »

I've just looked at the fuse charts and, in addition to the items mentioned by Tompion on 12th July, they show FS17 as also feeding Instrument Cluster,
Anti Theft Alarm,
Cigar Lighter & Clock,
Air Conditioning.
From prior experience, I can vouch for the Instrument Cluster but I haven't searched throught the actual wiring diagrams to verify the other items.
Bob
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 28th, 2021, 11:24pm »

I assume Instrument interface control I mentioned is the same as Instrument Cluster.
At 7.5 amps it can't be feeding the cigar lighter unless it's the bulb.

Roy mentioned the clock.

As he's not keen on tackling electrical problems I think disconnecting the alternator is a good place to start even if it only rules it out.
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 29th, 2021, 8:06am »

"As he's not keen on tackling electrical problems"  read "scared, apprenhinsive, unwilling" or just plain petrified Wink

Clock not working, needle flick after start up no interior lights (cant say about dash lighting as it never gets dark at the moment (or I'm asleep when it is) no lights on screen heater buttons no air con no heater controls no puddle lights.

Only since leccy man re wired the fans and added new relay for the fans (wires bad at green relay they came on when car parked and destroyed the battery eventually. wiring coming up from both fans have been rewired ,power for fan 1 is now fed directly from battery, a small grey relay replaces the big green one. Fans work as they should as far as we can tell he came back and ran a "short" test on engine loom noted OK, tried inside car under dash but walked..... Sad

Since he put wiring in we have had these problems listed above. fuse 17 no longer in as it blows as inserted, will try to disconnect alternator and add notes.

Car starts (most most all of the time see july 23rd comments by me) and have all electrics necessary for mot working, all gears etc working fine occasional abs light ... but thats a Scorpio for you. Have added a trickle charger to cure battery drain (direct to battery terminals).

Thanks to you all for help in this help to save a Scorpio.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 29th, 2021, 9:39am »

[quote author=Tompion link=board=Advice;num=1625834020;start=0#14 date=07/28/21 at 23:24:00]I assume Instrument interface control I mentioned is the same as Instrument Cluster.

I've taken a  look at the diagrams and, they are different things.
The Instrument Cluster is shown on sheet 33-04-05.
The Instrument Interface Control is shown on various sheets of 17-01.
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Aug 2nd, 2021, 3:59pm »

OK finally took lead off alternator and fuse 17 didnt blow, but did as soon as lead reconnected to alternator.

Have local Ford dealer who thinks they can fix anything as most of the leccys down here are not so good, so it's going there in the next weeks.

Huh Huh Huh
IP Logged

Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Aug 3rd, 2021, 9:48am »

One thing came to mind, you may have already checked it out but have you checked out the cigarette lighter light in the front of your Scorpio and the cigar lighter? The wiring can short out in there which, as I know, causes all sorts of wierd things to happen.  It's a bit of a fiddle getting the ashtray out etc, but it's got to be worth a try.

Good luck mate

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Aug 3rd, 2021, 9:57am »

on Aug 2nd, 2021, 3:59pm, Torbayboy wrote:
OK finally took lead off alternator and fuse 17 didnt blow, but did as soon as lead reconnected to alternator.

Have local Ford dealer who thinks they can fix anything as most of the leccys down here are not so good, so it's going theree in the next weeks.

Huh Huh Huh

When I read that I thought you meant you were taking the alternator in, but reading Mike's reply, are you taking the car in?

Try another alternator as it looks like that's the problem.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.