Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 5:06am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 12v electrics »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   12v electrics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 12v electrics  (Read 2004 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: 12v electrics
« Reply #20 on: Aug 3rd, 2021, 5:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi yep, its the car going in, got son in  law to take the live wire from the alternator yesterday, and the No 17 fuse only blew when the wire was reconnected.
 Couldnt start the car as yet again battery drained - seems to have a short somewhere that the other guy walked away from.

Do have a 2 litre alternator and a cossie one but I think the 12v is different again  Huh

Have faith in the local ford garage as when I had Granadas they had the awful Bos(t)ch alarm fitted by Ford at the time (92-94 models), and this was the only place that could get my 2.9 M saloon running, as it used to cut out intermittently after up to 10 mins running time, got left in the middle of a busy junction once, still wear brown trousers now Smiley

Will see what they make of it, as for what Mike mentioned, the last guy said the ahstray area was fine as was underbonnet and electrics to rear of the car.
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Aug 3rd, 2021, 6:58pm »

Certainly sounds to be the alternator.
When did you last charge the battery?
Even if the the alternator was OK it won't charge with F17 blown so battery will run down.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 5th, 2021, 2:08pm »

Hi Roy
I had the same with my Granada scorpio, it would cutout the same place every morning on the way to work, turned out to be a dry joint in the Bosch immobiliser.
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Aug 5th, 2021, 2:58pm »

Hi Gerald,
Had the bosch problem with several 2.9 granada scorpios, back in the noughties.
They were very dangerous to drive, I used to let it tick over for 10 minutes before I went anywhere, was charged at the time about a ton to remove it all, and by coincidence thats the guy at the local Ford garage who's on reception now recommending their auto leccy can fix this one for us.

This is why I have confidnce they can save the 12v estate for us,havent got round to booking it in yet but will keep you all posted.  Grin Grin

Have just finished charging it over the weekend, looks like a decent short in it, but luckily it hasnt killed the battery (yet) it's now fully charged and disconnected, I will only reconnect when it's ready to go in for it's fix. Feel sure it's tha alternatoe and some bodgy wiring frm our walking leccy man.

Wink Wink
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11th, 2021, 7:58am »

Following on from the last post of early August, have let the car stand with charged battery (disconnected) and booked into local Ford garage.

Car went in last monday on a "suck it and see" will use as a filler job, as they are nearly £100/hour!  

BUT if it fixes it we have a good car saved.

Turns out the climate control panel was fried!! (the one with the ribbon on behind the air con panel on the dash) it seems to be common according to them (working Ford all the time so I presume he's right).

Supplied one from the shed (thank you peter) and most if not all things running now, haven't fully checked everything, but the guy who did the work only mentioned "button 3 on radio not working") - new one to me any ideas?  

And he had a comprehensive list of all bits "broken" now fixed.

Did mention the ape who fixed the fans should take lessons, but thats life, if all stays well will probably get them to rewire this also.

So there we are then 1 more aubergine estae on the road again.

I'd like to thanks you all for your inputs and help with this it's much appreciated. It shows also sometimes the Ford dealer is a good way to go.

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Cool Huh Roll Eyes   getting better everyday
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Sep 11th, 2021, 9:13am »

That is good news indeed. Congratulations and fingers crossed things go well from here on. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
johneisen2001

Scorpio Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Sep 18th, 2021, 11:14am »

Hi I have a 1996 ford Scorpio Ultima. I have the same problem radio works but don't have interior lights  
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Oct 3rd, 2021, 5:11pm »

SO... the car has been working fine for a while now, but having inadvertantly double locked it earlier this week, went out to a flat battery today.

To best of our knowledge nothing else changed, i have locked the cars on the rear doors for a while now and had no problems, but we did have bad rain since last used on friday-no sign of run down battery or trouble starting then.  
Battery tray is sound and so is inside of car as otherwise Ford mechanic would have noted it, funnily though the car would only unlock on drivers door with the key, but wouldnt do the same on passenger door and couldn't open the back doors at all until I connected a battery charger to it.
 Any comments - suggestions welcome

Thx  R Huh Huh Huh
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: Oct 4th, 2021, 7:35am »

Sounds as though your key is worn too much to operate the nearside door. The keys and locks wear over time, and if the car is double locked then you will NOT be able to open the doors from the inside until the double lock is operated.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Oct 4th, 2021, 1:05pm »

Hi Dave thanks for that will check it out.

One thing we did notice a while ago is the drivers door light stays on on the dash (as its LED it wont burn the dash out like the granny does), would this trigger a problem with double locking, as this car has only gone down in the 48 hours since it was double locked on friday-perchance it all meshes and the car thinks the door is still open, but all the doors are double locked & just the drivers door works on the key.

Kind comments welcome

Huh Huh
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Oct 4th, 2021, 2:40pm »

This item and links might be useful.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Oct 5th, 2021, 5:06pm »

Got the car charged up and started no problems, had a note that the radio would not log in from Ford garage, we solved this as the amplifier was disconnected, if this has any bearing on it's current problem will remain to be seen.

Tested all we reasonably could with the car running, but didnt drive it, locked as usual with out key so the moring will tell if we still have a leak in the electrics, will be a lovely motor when all runs right.....just need patience and percy verance

Cool Shocked Sad
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Oct 6th, 2021, 11:58am »

Updatede,

In around 18 hours has flattened battery again, left with enough to restart car now nothing
Off to ford again
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: Oct 12th, 2021, 11:19am »

With regard double locking, it shouldn't cause a problem. I always double lock mine and the driver’s door ajar light was faulty (fixed the light now, only took 2yrs to get round to it). The only difference the faulty door ajar light made was it didn't flash the indicators when double locked.

Sounds more and more like loom damage, the trouble is there’s no real way to check other than unbinding the loom.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #34 on: Oct 30th, 2021, 12:38pm »

Hi again, am I right with no kry in ignition the cooling fans should NOT work??
 Is this on all scorpios or any scorpio should be the same as today back in the 12v we had fans working as we parked they ceased just before key was taken out, and as the key in hand on came the fans-original problem repeated.  
At least we fixed the air con unit though.

Thanks all

Smiley Wink Cheesy
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.