Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:19pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.0L DOHC Timing Chain renewal »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   2.0L DOHC Timing Chain renewal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.0L DOHC Timing Chain renewal  (Read 212 times)
brds

View Profile Email

2.0L DOHC Timing Chain renewal
« on: Aug 10th, 2022, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've just finished changing my timing chain along with both plastic guides, tensioner sprocket & plunger and oil chain.
The chains were last changed twenty years ago when I bought the car at 7 years old and 83K miles. It has now only done another 60K miles but was getting noisy.
The oil chain and timing chain & tensioner sprocket did not look worn but the tensioner plunger was fully extended and the plastic side guide had wear grooves - maybe that one wasn't changed by the garage last time.
I hadn't done this job before so used the excellent timing chain information for the 2.0 16V together with the Ford Workshop Manual for the 2.3 DOHC 16V that are on the forum. I also read the Haynes Granada manual.
I also took the opportunity to replace the spark plugs & Aux belt and the old ignition coils with a pair that came courtesy of Scorpio_Mike a couple of years ago.
The only new tools that I had to buy were a good pulley remover for £17, a sprocket holder for £7 and an 18" breaker bar for £10. All came courtesy of eBay and would have cost a fortune years ago. Even if I never use them again it won't matter because I saved several hundred £ on labour plus I know that nothing was skimped. I couldn't get a local fitter to do it anyway - frightened of the job I think.
Most of the parts came from AutoDoc and were actually sent from Berlin. They didn't have the lower plastic side guide and crankshaft pulley bolt so I found them on eBay.
Total hours spent was about 16 so I was slow but fiddling around being meticulous about checking & cleaning everything. Actual elapsed time was several days but its been hot and I was just doing a few hours in between other things when I felt like it - one of the benefits of being old & retired I suppose.
One important thing is that there's no need to take the starter out to lock the flywheel when undoing the crankshaft pulley. A tip on UTube shows how to wrap the old Aux belt around the crankshaft pulley to lock it to an adjacent pulley. I couldn't do that as the belt was too long so wrapped a length of webbing around the crankshaft pulley and pulled it up tight onto the engine front lifting bracket above. This worked equally well for undoing and tightening the pulley bolt and saves a lot of work, plus jamming a screwdriver into the flywheel is awkward if you are working alone and risks damage.
Car now runs almost silent and will probably out-last me.
Bob
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.