Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:30pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Oil Pump Drive »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Give/Need advice to/from others
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Oil Pump Drive
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oil Pump Drive  (Read 142 times)
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Oil Pump Drive
« on: Sep 30th, 2023, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Morning all. Came across a question on another forum about the standard 2.9 engine(non Cosworth) that intrigued me. A chap was asking if you could use the blanking unit which incorporates a drive gear for the oil pump (to keep it working) from the 4 litre cologne in the 2.9 to get rid of the distributor. Obviously he must be looking at using EDIS or something similar. I told him I have done this mod on my 2.9 many years ago (early noughties).  
Anyway question came up on how the oil pump is driven on the 24V. The exploded diagram on this forum shows the same drive gear but what confuses me is how that is now driven as the cams are now up in the heads. Can anyone shed a light? I have my spare BOB out in shed but dont want to strip it down as yet.
John.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Oil Pump Drive
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30th, 2023, 9:06am »

Found this on the "Ford Cologne V6 Engine" wiki page  
The standard Ford-issued block was machined differently to improve strength. In place of the single-cam arrangement, an endless duplex hydraulically tensioned timing chain was used to drive the overhead cams. The chain measured 2.2 m (7 ft 3 in).[3] The casting and bearings for the standard underhead cam were repurposed for a shaft which drove the oil pump.  
But doesnt tell me how they drive the oil pump. There is obviously something that replaces the old underhead cam but I cant imagine a shaft all the way back to front of engine to get a drive off the timing chains...or did they?
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30th, 2023, 4:14pm »

Looks as though you're probably right, have a look at the manuals here:
 https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/CosV6manual.htm

And pictures here:
https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/24vrebuild.htm

I didn't see anything that shows in detail but presumably a shaft right through with a skew gear to the pump.

You can also see the ridiculous shallow engagement of the chain with the pump sprocket – no wonder it jumps when the tensioners are worn.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30th, 2023, 7:38pm »

on Sep 30th, 2023, 4:14pm, Tompion wrote:
Looks as though you're probably right, have a look at the manuals here:
 https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/CosV6manual.htm

And pictures here:
https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/24vrebuild.htm

I didn't see anything that shows in detail but presumably a shaft right through with a skew gear to the pump.

You can also see the ridiculous shallow engagement of the chain with the pump sprocket – no wonder it jumps when the tensioners are worn.

Thanks for that. On the dismantle pages you finally get to the bit where it tells you to remove the intermediate timing shaft sprocket, then bearing plate and you remove the intermediate shaft which as you say confirms my engineering guess of like a dummy cam spidle to drive the pump. Well this has certainly been an educational day. Cheers T.
John. Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.