Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 5:05am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« faults/ gearbox »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   OBD Advice
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   faults/ gearbox
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: faults/ gearbox  (Read 2010 times)
blondy

What now

View Profile

faults/ gearbox
« on: Nov 26th, 2004, 7:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

over the last couple of weeks i have been trying to diagnose the problems i have been having with my gearbox,( slow to engange next gear, revving up before engaging next gear, no speedo, o/d light flashing occasionally, intermittent cruise control.) so tueseday night i receivd these fault codes from a hand held tester-p1405, p0155, p0161, p0500, p1151 and finally p1000. i have read the list but am still unsure what they actually mean in terms of fixing them. but all that aside,  today on the way home from work after about 2 miles the engine began to rev up the same as it would if you pressed the clutch in on a manual gearbox and finally no drive, after about 15 minutes by the side of the road i tried it again, it regain some drive but after a little way it went again. so a ten minute journey took me over an hour to do, now the car is sitting on my driveway waiting for me to change the gearbox.  

would this be the best course of action or is there something else i can replace, perhaps a component of the gearbox? the oil levels have been checked about five times over the past fortnight and its ok. thanks in advance for any help/ suggestions
IP Logged

95' cos (goes like a lettuce).
waders

Email

Re: faults/ gearbox
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 8:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Blondy,

Sounds like your torque convertor has given up the ghost. To replace this unfortunately it's a gearbox out job alright. If your box was behaving perfectly before you could just do the torque convertor, but while you've got the box out.......

By the way Shocked, none of the OBD codes seem relevant to the gearbox to me either Huh. Not suprised it's confusing Undecided, though perhaps one of the OBD boys will enlighten this thread yet Grin!

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool

Waders.
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

Re: faults/ gearbox
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 8:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Blondy,
Whoa, m8 - not so fast. There may be nothing at all wrong with your autobox. Let's have a look at the codes,
P1405 - Upstream DPFE hose off or unplugged.
This is an EGR problem. One of the rubber pipes from the EGR tube to the DPFE sensor on the engine bulkhead might be off. Perhaps you have a failing catalyst that has caused excess pressure and blown the pipe off - or perhaps it has perished.
P0155, P0161 These are HO2S heater sensor faults that will not effect autobox operation.
P0500 - VSS  Malfunction. Now we're getting closer to an autobox problem - the Vehicle Speed Sensor signal is used for the autobox gear changes, the cruise control and the speedo. If this is faulty then the autobox cannot change gear properly. It also causes the OD light to flash.
P1151 This is a lack of HO2S switch - indicating towards Lean - again this will not effect gearbox operation..  
P1000 - strange, Unless you've disconnected the battery or cleared the DTC codes this would not normally appear - perhaps you cleared the codes with your tester.
To summarise - you have either a VSS faulty - which would cause all the symptoms you describe, or you have a wiring problem between the PCM and the autobox. If your engine wiring is in good condition before you do anything else replace the VSS sensor and then try the car. My bet is that most of the faults will disappear.
Then we would need to check your fuel trims and find out the cause of the HO2S codes. My worry is that the engine loom might be failing and this causes all those faults to appear, but we would need a connection with our OBD lead to check that - a handheld tester is inadequate for this task. Perhaps you can meet with an OBD owner and scan the HO2S sensors and the Fuel Trims.
Have a look at http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obdindetail.htm for an explanation of these. Look at the Fuel Monitor, the HO2S Monitor and the Component Monitor.

Good luck. Get back to us if you need anything else.

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.