Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 8:18pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Advice please »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   OBD Advice
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Advice please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Advice please  (Read 1780 times)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Advice please
« on: Dec 5th, 2004, 7:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,  

I have had a problem with my car for the past few weeks. basically, I will be driving along (speed not important) and all of a sudden, the rev counter drops to tickover, about 750 RPM and if I keep my foot hard down to the floor, eventually with a bit of coughing and spluttering, the car will kick off again and run fine. The period of time that it stays at about the 750 figure can vary from a few seconds to about 1/2 minute. So far I have always been able to control it, but it is obviously getting worse.

Today I hooked up the OBD lead and checked and found the code 0402 but nothing else so I set up a few sensors on the graph and went for a drive. I had the 4 OS sensors running and they were doing their sine wavy type trace when all of a sudden, the car drpped its revs down to 750 again. all of the sensor readings dropped to flatline for the duration of the problem (about 20 secs) and when it kicked back in again, the readings went back to what they were before.

The car has been running a little hesitantly for a while but other than that everything is fine and I was going to get it looked at after Christmas

Any ideas?, I had thoughts that maybe a cat was on its way out, but I wouldn't know how to check on the OBD

Help please

Thanks

Barry
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Baz,

Can you zip up the 3 files from the scan and post on http://www.anyboard.net/autos/cars/scorpio/index.html please.  Sounds like an interesting one!

Cheers,
Dave
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 9:20pm »

hi barry

P0402 EGR Flow Excessive at Idle.  

sounds like you've got a leak or something from the egr pipework.
then again might be happening when it vents back into the manifold. does it do while cruising? you can watch it on VE. have a read of http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/egrmonitor.htm

hth
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 9:10pm »

OK, bit of an update. yesterday morning, I unplugged the connector to the grey box thingy on the bulkhead which has the two rubber pipes to the EGR connected to it. Have done loads of miles (about 150) and not one blip. Can anyone tell me if this needs to be connected? or can it be left off?

Baz
IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 9:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi baz i had probs with my egr thingy and i disconected the vac pipe and sealed the end with a bolt and it runs fine without it if it helps you any
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 10:25pm »

hi barry

i'd put them back on. if you look at the page i posted ,the diagram shows with the pipes diconnected, you 'should' have a air leak. if you haven't had any problems with the egr disabled, then i'd go along with wumpster and block the vac line with a small screw.
have a look at http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/emmanuals.htm
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.