Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 6:23am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Scans in the Exeter/Devon Area. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   OBD Advice
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Scans in the Exeter/Devon Area.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scans in the Exeter/Devon Area.  (Read 1713 times)
Sewingkit

2.9 Cosworth Auto 1995, I love my car more than...

View Profile Email

Scans in the Exeter/Devon Area.
« on: Feb 4th, 2007, 8:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone in the Devon/Exeter area that I can to give me a OBD scan.  

Vospers in Exeter wanna charge me £70 an hour for WDS work and investigate all the DTS codes. I know it is probably part of some sort of a Service agreement but it is steep.  

Any help would be greatly beneficial.

Oh, the reason, I have an awful Cold start/Idle problem that is now becoming a real pain!

Cheers
Steve
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Scans in the Exeter/Devon Area.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 7:21am »

Might be cheaper to read through THIS. FPR sounds like a good bet.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 8:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Can't help you with a scan (I live in Torquay), but have you tried disconnecting your battery for 2 minutes, and then re-connecting it?

This lets the engine 're-learn' it's 'default' settings to and from the ECU. All your instrument panel gauges will fly about when you re-connect and start up. This is quite normal.

Make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect, if you don't know it, then I have the software to give it you if you have the Serial number (on the back of the radio). So long as it's a Ford unit of course!!

Other possibilities include a faulty IACV or Throttle Position Sensor. Try taking the plug out of the TPS, and see if it makes a difference. No guarantees, but if it does, then there's a fair to good chance that you've found your culprit.  Wink

Vospers................................Only for the VERY wealthy I'm afraid!!
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 9:50pm »

on Feb 5th, 2007, 7:21am, Simmo wrote:
Might be cheaper to read through THIS. FPR sounds like a good bet.

If it is the FPR its do-able but best to rule out the easy options first. What is the idle like - erratic, high, or ...? What's the hot start like, how's it running - hot & cold?

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Sewingkit

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 10:57pm »

It's a big one, in my opinion.

It has been appening for a year now but I have not had a chance or money to sort it out.

The common denominator is "temperature" it has a real problem with cold starts. Examples/experiences to follow;

1. After being off all night whilst a cold night and/or
2, After being off for a few hours whilst mildish say 10-15 degrees or very cold and/or
3, (earlier today and a few times) being off for just one hour, after running for 15 minutes

It does the following:

Starts then revs up and down from say 20 to 1200, up and down, then cuts out after a period of time, usually 3/5 minutes.  

I have to restart it then it does the same, this goes on for about 10/15 minutes depending on the temperature of the day. i either leave it idling at a standstill and then it is Ok after a while and I can drive away or I pull off and it just stalls 5/6 times whilst not ever going above 15/20 mph. I have to keep restarting it in neutral until it settles. Sometimes it runs for a few seconds then I go up a hill or round a sharp cormer and it comes back just when I thought it was OK. After a while the air con kicks in and then most of the time it seems to bo ok after that starts, but occasionally it is not and it still stalls. What else, hmm, its also seems to be OK when the engine temps gets up to normal, but like the air con, it does not always.

It beginning to pi... me off, sorry, wind me up now.

Now, the funny thing is my mate, Ty, who had the car previously is a right whiz and has knows his stuff quite well and has also thrown money at it.  

He has bought new, cleaned, replaced shed loads of stuff, a long list of things. Cleaned the MAF, bought new ones, Lamdba's, EGR's, all the things I have seen listed on these forums, checked the integrity of the inlet system for leaks, IACV replaced. I mean, he wrote me a long list, sadly i cannot find it and cannot get hold of him at the mo (awaiting call). It had 20/30 lines of stuff he had done.

But the trigger is temperature! he has said he will bring round a new Fuel Temp Sensor (i think (he has already replaced it twice)) and he plans to plug it in and dip it in a cup of hot water and then start to see if that cures it. Over than that I am open to offers of help...

I am at my wits end with this problem....and in need of some serious help. Thanks people.

Steve

UPDATE:

Just had text from Ty,

He has said he did the IACV, TPS and a battery reset plus:

New MAF (two)
All new vacuum pipes
"Sound T piece under inlet manifold moved" his words??
2 new Cats
New Lambda sensors
New coolant temp sensor
New Air intake sensor
And a new Throttle Position Sensor had been done too

Over to you...
IP Logged
Sewingkit

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2007, 11:04pm »

on Feb 5th, 2007, 8:03am, Spannerdemon wrote:
Can't help you with a scan (I live in Torquay), but have you tried disconnecting your battery for 2 minutes, and then re-connecting it?

This lets the engine 're-learn' it's 'default' settings to and from the ECU. All your instrument panel gauges will fly about when you re-connect and start up. This is quite normal.

Make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect, if you don't know it, then I have the software to give it you if you have the Serial number (on the back of the radio). So long as it's a Ford unit of course!!

Other possibilities include a faulty IACV or Throttle Position Sensor. Try taking the plug out of the TPS, and see if it makes a difference. No guarantees, but if it does, then there's a fair to good chance that you've found your culprit.  Wink

Vospers................................Only for the VERY wealthy I'm afraid!!

Spannerdemon,

Cheers for that, I have just texted my Mate Ty to see if he looked at/did any of those and will get back to you.

Cheers
IP Logged
Sewingkit

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 8:52am »

everyone,

I have moved this to the "Problems" section.

Please go there to continue the thread

Many thanks
Steve
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.