Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:14pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« My cat died today. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   My cat died today.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: My cat died today.  (Read 3463 times)
Vulcan

Email

My cat died today.
« on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm not talking exhausts... My smokey grey 4 yr old tom, Smudge,  gave up......

It only started sunday evening when he went into a corner of our bedroom and curled up. I thought it might just be a case of the stomach bugs.... Monday morning he was up and around but not really top form.... I thought he was off colour but not too bad.  
Monday lunchtime I came home and he was walking about... wouldn't eat or drink but apart from that seemed himself just a bit quiet.
Monday evening he just wanted to lie down... would respond and purr to a touch..... we contacted the vet they said just to keep him warm and hydrated and watch him closely.. we did that.
Yesterday (tuesday) he was up and walking about.. lethargic but moving.. I felt optimistic.

This morning... he was down and couldn't stand on his own... straight to the vet who kept him in... they did all they could but his kidneys stopped working... Potassium build up eventually stopped his heart...

They say that he could have lapped up anti freeze (cats are attracted to the smell) which gives these sort of symptoms but I have no anti freeze anywhere on my property... I know he roamed a bit so I can't say it's impossible that he could have found it elsewhere, I would hope that nobody would deliberately feed him something nasty but he was a trusting cat and would take hand feeds off anyone and eat it... no matter what it was...

Kerry and the girls are devastated... myself I am just trying to be OK for them... Smudge was a big part of our family.....our other cat Sally is now just wandering about a bit lost mewing for her friend...

Lost my pal.... we spent many an evening sitting in front of the telly when all the girls had gone to bed....

I will miss him...

George

IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: My cat died today.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 6:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cry
That's really sad. This is the first post I've read this morning - what a way to start!
Hopefully, nobody did anything deliberate as you say. I'd prefer to think he just found something somewhere. Undecided
Anyway, I won't go on, but just send my condolences to you and yours. You'll obviously miss him.
All the best George.
Paul
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
craig

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 7:14am »

hi george...

all i can really do is agree with paul........
all the very best to your family...

craig.. Cry
IP Logged
daven

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 7:45am »

That is sad - sorry George!

Regards

Dave
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 11:48am »

George,

Very sorry to hear your sad news. All of us cat-loving scorpio-loving people will be thinking of you and the family.

Regards,
Dave  Cry
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 2:26pm »

That is sad  sorry george  

ive got tears in my eyes just reading, im such a animal lover i would do anything to save a animal  . Our hearts go out to u and the family

from graeme paula and alice
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 6:14pm »

i know how you feel won't go into details but its not nice hope you all feel better soon  
    LEE
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 1:07am »

Thanks guys.... it's feeling better a bit but I still keep expecting him to pop his head round the door. Doesn't help that my 7 yr old daughter kept his collar and I keep hearing the bell tinkle.

Pets are a big part of our lives.. we don't realise how big till they go... I now feel guilty about the times I often found him half way down the stairs and he moved just as I get there almost making me fall down the stairs.... the cries of "stupid d**n cat" now make me feel awful.

Still sad .. never forget him..
He always was a good friend and never judged at all.. he was my pal with no conditions.

R.I.P. Smudge.. 22-09-04

George
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 4:00pm »

Even if u do get another animal u  will never be able to replace the one u have lost , they all have there own ways and food they like

be there many times  Cry

graeme
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2004, 10:22pm »

didn't want to read that George mate .. I have two persians in the family and one of my " special mates " is pretty poorly right now ..so I know exactly how it is .. al the very best to you mate ... regards .........STN
IP Logged

Vulcan

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 25th, 2004, 2:37am »

STN,
I hope your cat gets well... spare no expense, they are worth it.
I spent almost £300 on hospitalisation for Smudge for one day... we told the vet to just do what was necessary and to hell with the cost. sadly no money in the world could have stopped it.... he either found something or someone fed him it..... I only hope it was the former because if I find out that someone did it deliberately...well .. I don't need to go on.

It's about this time (small hours of the morning) when I miss him most, he was usually on the arm of the settee right behind me watching every word I type..... often thought he was proof reading my posts  Grin
Too d a m n quiet without him.......

Cry  Cry
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 9:14am »

thanks George but it doesn't look to promising at the moment mate .. love the pair of them of course but the one thats losing the battle right now is sorta favorite .. he meets me evry day where I park and susses it whatever car i'm in  ..amazing really ..but he has service history which makes it worse .. something happened a few years back which virtually ripped his back leg off < not a car but vet says it was an unusual accident ..maybe a fall .. amazingly they can tell all sorts ..for instance in a car accident the cats claws get shredded where they grip > ..anyway .. somehow he got home and even got through the cat flap !! .. I looked down on my way out one morning and saw the bone sticking about three inches out of his leg ..arghhh .. anyway vet amputated it and i thought that was it really but the vet said he'll compensate with little problem by using his tail almost as a third leg which he did within about a week ..wow ! so he carried on and has given another couple of years of pleasure to all the family ..walks odd but runs and jumps like lightning .. *#@^~  amazing !! .. sadly though this latest problem whatever it is is causing total loss of use in his tail and obvious pain somewhere at the rear end ..hmm .. horrible cos hes ok in himself and eating ..but can hardly walk .. so I can't watch that for long in fairness ..anti-inflammatories worked last week when strong but aren't this week when they weakened them so it doesn't look great at all ..for some strange reason they haven't x-rayed yet which fills me with confidence  NOT ! .. or maybe they know something ..hmm  ..anyway sorry to ramble on but I know what you feel and felt mate ..take care .. regards ..STN
IP Logged

phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 11:01am »

Sorry to hear about your cat , if u are anything like me u dont like to see any animal in pain.  

I was out driving afew months ago and i saw a wild rabbit in the middle of road i stop the car and got out i knew the rabbit was still alive because its back leg was still moving i picked it up and took it to the side but there was nothing i could do it died on me. I went back to the car there was a line of traffic waiting , Before i could go home i had to go for a drive because i was crying to myself bescause i felt so helpless and it wasnt even a pet just shows what a softer i am.

graeme Cry
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 12:04pm »

yep ..right on the button Graeme .. waiting for the vet to finish emergency ops today .. but when we get there I really have the feeling he ain't coming home .. nightmare really when he seems fine other than pain of trying to move ..even getting stuck into his Tuna but off my hand ..
IP Logged

phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 1:29pm »

STN

They always go to the one they love most and follow u around like a shadow and never let u out of sight.  

We are going through it with our dog she is 13 and there something wrong at the bottom of her spine makes her uncomtable shes got tablets to ease the pain , but the vet said we could  do a op which would cost £2,000  and its 100% that she would  not pull through because of her age as long as the tablets keeps the pain under control , shes worse on wet and damp days .

When i first got her at 6 weeks old she fitted in the palm of my hand she was so small  my 3 year old girl adores her when she tired the dog lets her fall asleep on her sometimes , animals are just like humans in may ways

graeme
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 3:47pm »

Stn same thing happen to our cat car accident got home and it was taken too vet lost its leg but vet good  sorted it out, Cat had kittens 12 weeks ago so just goes to show the only bad thing £700 vet bill  
IP Logged
ScorpioWidow

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 28th, 2004, 10:37pm »

Hi all, i would just like to thank u all on behalf of my family and myself for ur kind words during our loss, i know he was just a 'cat', but he was a major part of lives, he will alway's be  missed....again...thanx..xxx
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.