Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 9:20am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« petrol filling ?? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   petrol filling ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: petrol filling ??  (Read 947 times)
craig

Email

petrol filling ??
« on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 6:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

does anybody have an opinion on how much petrol you should leave in the tank before re-fuelling.. Huh Huh

i for one have never let the tank drop down to below 1/4,was always led to believe not to leave too much air in the tank to avoid condensation build up in the tank,also you dont run the risk of picking up any sediment from the bottom of the tank,however some people think different,i know the more fuel,heavier the load,less performance,less economy ETC.ETC,but what do other's thinkHuhHuh?
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

Re: petrol filling ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 6:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i had fuel pump problems , i'm bad for running the tank low been known to drive 5 or 6 miles after computor told me i'd run out of fuel  Sad , had it all done and i still do it ,I think you have the right idea, but some of us are just plain silly costs just as much too fill top half of tank as bottom half . Undecided
   Lee
IP Logged
Just Call Me Captain

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 6:40pm »

In the old days gone by - I always topped up - when gauge got to a quarter

Will do the same when I get a replacement Scorpio

Captain
IP Logged
waders

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:30pm »

Hi Tongue
As the fuel pipe picks up fuel from the bottom of the tank Shocked(no resurve, no high intake point, nowhere for sludge to build up Cheesy) as long as you dont run out Embarassed, it realy makes no difference when you fill you tank Undecided. I like to keep mine above a quater Grin, incase of an unplaned journey Huh!!  

Cool Grin Cool Grin Cool

Waders.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 8:27am »

thanks guys......
really looks like i should keep doing what i am already doing then .......
must admit waders comment about unplanned journeys obviously has it's advantages,living rurally now,it sure makes sense... Smiley Smiley
thanks....

craig..
IP Logged
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 9:02pm »

I'm afraid my views on this are a little extreme but, after about 750,000 miles in granada/Scorpios, I still fill to the brim and run to near as d@mmit bone dry and I've never had any problems. I did run out once but I got underneath and removed the tank unit, bent the intake pipe down a bit, and ran it for another 5 miles to a filling station. That was quite useful 'cos I then added another 10 miles to the range after the light came on.  

The main benefits to all this are that I am confident of how far I can go in an emergency and I spend the minimum amount of time breathing toxic fumes at filling stations. I can also check the fuel consumption several times a week and it's amazing how much you can save by driving at legal speeds. I can also keep going until I find the cheapest fuel, and with that sort of mileage,  I save a fortune.

My advice - do what you feel comfortable with and don't listen to adviceHuhHuh?.

Ron.

P.S. as an afterthought, I never leave my tank empty overnight if I can help it and always brim up with the cheapest non-junk fuel I can find unless there is a risk ov very hot weather and then always leave about a gallon of brathing space at the top.

That's it. I've done rabbiting. You can go back to ingnoring me now.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 6:47am »

thanks ron,all noted down... Wink Wink Wink

and ignored Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

thanks mate....

craig..
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 8:56am »

Where can I buy "junk fuel"?
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 9:19am »

Vulcan, i think they mean petrol as sold in Tesco,s etc.  I have heard its low quality. Personally i try to have the wife in the car when running low. Then ask her to pay while i check the oil ! Not being mean-just carefull. Anyway if she wants the pleasure of the odd drive in the scorp  she must contribute, only fair! Grin Grin Grin john.n
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.