Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Scorpios in middle lane »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Scorpios in middle lane
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Scorpios in middle lane  (Read 3069 times)
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Scorpios in middle lane
« on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 11:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on a trip up to stafford today from somerset ,i got behind 6 different scorpios 4 saloons 2 est  and every one of them was hogging the middle lane in fact i passed 3 on inside and im sure they did not even notice ,and i followed one for 3miles in my sprinter fairly close behind him and im sure he did not even no i was  
there ,question time then is it likely they were list members ,and if they are will they take notice and use lanes correctly and lastly to the  cossie driver if you are reading this  why were you only doing 60mph with a bloomin great artic up your **** flashing his lights and you refusing to pull over ,apologies to you if it was because you didnt see him through all that c**p on the rear shelf  
right rant over but honestly the only scorps i saw were driven terribly  ,
Colin
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Scorpios in middle lane
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:59am »

Colin,  

I understand your sentiments but there are a few major flaws in your observations.

1. Artics are governed by law and tachographs to a maximum speed of 60 mph anyway so why couldn't he just be content to sit behind the Scorpio.

2. Sitting in the middle lane, hogging it, doing 60mph is not yet an offence (although it should be) but passing someone on the inside is!

3. Following someone close behind in a van doing 60mph would likely get you a conviction for driving without due care or even a CD10 as you would have not stopped had he braked suddenly

4. And as for the comment on the only scorps you saw were being driven terribly, I refer you to my points above. You obviously didn't see mine because that would have been passed you before you even noticed it!

Rant over and I await your equally quick-witted retort!!!!

Baz
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 1:10am »

If you refer to the Highway code, when driving along a motorway or three lane dual carriageway, unless you are overtaking you must be in the nearside lane only, the middle lane and outside lane are for "overtaking only" and not for cruising along if the nearside lane is clear.  Also if you hog the middle lane when the inside lane is clear and do not move over, then when a lorry approaches from behind you are actually commiting an offence of obstruction and you can be nicked for undue care and attention, i know someone who was done for this and he got three points on he's licence for hogging the middle lane when nearside was clear and not letting lorries overtake him in the middle lane which they are legally allowed to do.

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 1:55am »

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 9:11am »

Baz  
I understand your points ,and whilst i undestand me overtaking is equally as dangerous ,this is bought on by sheer frustration when the you are driving  van fully loaded and the W*****R in front does not get out of the way and you can not pull out around him without testing the brakes of the beemers etc using the outside lane ,this one guy effectively made the M5 a dual carriagway through his contempt for other road  users ,if i was in my cossie i would have been able with no prob to pull out and get round him .in a van with a 50-70 acceleration of time of around   2 days i could not  
,as for the artic driver when i went past in outside lane i was doing around 65 so the lorry being governed to say 57  was wound up and being held up along with a cuople of others ,and personally i think this type of driving is a more serious offence than driving at over 70 ,and should be stamped out ,and finally my cossie only needs one lane the outside one so it goes back to my original why werent the others being driven correctly and only doing 60 ,perhaps there MAFS are dirty!!!
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 9:18am »

Colin,

best bet and one I have always practised on motorways, if you are getting frustrated, pull over at the next services, have a fag and a cup of tea and chill out. Lifes too short mate!!

Baz
IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 9:40am »

Take the push bike! Grin

But only short jorneys, otherwise take the train. at least you cant pass the carrige in front of you, unless you get derailed which has happened to! Shocked

Right best advise stay at home.

JJ
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ditch the van and get a bike - I personally would have to recommend a Hayabusa, you'll find the original 3 lane motorway suddenly becomes a 6 lane highway to Fun, Fun, Fun !

er until Mr Plod spots you that is..
IP Logged
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 9:18pm »

There have been some interesting points made on this one, but as so often happens in Question Time on TV, the main points have been missed in the melee of personal interest and bias. Fitzy, as usual, made sense, but the main point is that there is a 70MPH limit and it is now general practice to ignore this, along with all other traffic laws, unless there is a good chance of getting caught. However, if a group of people start cheating the system with impunity, pretty soon everyone is at it and,  
behold, we have no system and everyone is at each other's throats.

Does this sound familiar?

I drive more miles than most and try to stick to the limits and follow the Highway code. ( remember that?)

I do however exceed 70 to find a bit of space if some idiot or, more frequently, a group of idiots is driving inconsiderately. (Anyone suggest a group name for idiots?) I also hog the middle lane for short periods if law breaking excessive speeders make it impossible for me to travel at a steady legal limit speed without constantly braking and accellerating to avoid excessively slow and fast traffic. Also, I drive slowly around and between speed bumps because I assume that thay were placed there for that very reason and, just because I cannot see what that may be at the time, it doesn't mean that it is not justified.

Just as an example of what can happen, I recently drove on the M1 south from Leeds at evening rush hour and the road was packed. However, everyone was driving correctly and sticking to the limit, even when there was clear road. The result was a relaxing and safe drive in very good time. Why this was so I cannot comment beyond wondering if, at last, we have gone full circlle and drivers are realising at last that civilisation works.  

Blimey, did I write all that? Please stop getting me worked up. I'm too old for all this.

Ron

PS Just one more thought. If the intelligent but frustrated 99% of drivers stopped ignoring the law out of frustration, maybe the authorities coud find time to tackle the real pr@ts.
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 1:03am »

I'm a bit  perplexed  , what's frustrating about having to slow down  for traffic conditions ?  do people seriously expect to  travel  hundreds of miles  on 90mph  cruise control  ?  until   some poor sod doing 65 mph  has the unmitigated  temerity to  slow   these  tossers down to  70 mph ?  

My advice  - if it makes you angry, then  for god sake seek  some  therapy or get a job  you like  or take up basketweaving  . The   open  road   should  be  available   to  all,   not  just  petrolheads  and  borderline  psychotic   Jeremy Clarkson  f***wits.
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 12:34pm »

My tuppence worth.

Speed is addictive and so the argument that getting there 5 minutes early has little effect on speeders, because they are not driving fast to get there quicker but are driving fast for the enjoyment of driving fast.

I'd be interested to know whether fast car owners who attend regular track days become better road drivers. I took my AMG around a circuit one weekend and I certainly drove back according to the highway code and had much more respect for my car.

Secondly, on the issue of lane hogging, I once heard that you were 5000 times more likely to have an accident on a motorway when lane changing than when sticking to your lane. The highway code does say return to the left lane when it's clear but I certainly don't do so if I am going to be overtaking again in 300 yards. But then I don't drive the center lane at 60.  

Generally driving standards are better in the UK than in the US but there is far more aggression in the UK, In the US  people expect bad driving and just let them get on with it. It's weird to watch a spotscar weave in an out of traffic on the freeway and no-one tries to out-accelerate them or block them in.

Steve
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 1:25pm »

They just get alongside at the next lights and blast them with the UZI they are legally entitled to have in the car......now there's a thought!!
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 4:00pm »

was this a topic about scorpios in the middle lane or who can write the longest reply , i think every body should take a driving test before going on a motorway and that's all i'm going to say , plus i get bored writing long relpys  
         Lee
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 7:47pm »

Agreed.. I took my Pass Plus in July 2002 before using any motorways and it made me feel much more confident. As a certificate it's lousy but does its job when you're out there. It's all common sense though... hmm.  

My vertigo is so bad tonight. Seeing a doctor tomorrow. Urggggg
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 11:42pm »

Well I hope he's more professional than my Doc , I went in to see him the other day and I asked him what he could give me for wind , and he gave me a kite!
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 7:05am »

And I went to see my doc the other day too.

I jumped in and told him, "I feel like a snooker ball."

He said, "Get to the end of the cue like the rest!"

I feel a whole bunch of posts coming on now!  Smiley
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 7:41am »

" keep thinking I'm a dog Doc ? "

Doc .." well get up on the couch and I'll take a look "

"sorry .. I can't Doc .. I'm not allowed " !!!
IP Logged

SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 7:44am »

Doc .." did those pills help with the split personality ? "

" yes thanks Doc ..I'm fine now ... but I wasn't happy you sending me five separate bills !! "
IP Logged

JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 8:43am »

on Dec 4th, 2004, 12:34pm, admin wrote:
My tuppence worth.

Secondly, on the issue of lane hogging, I once heard that you were 5000 times more likely to have an accident on a motorway when lane changing than when sticking to your lane. The highway code does say return to the left lane when it's clear but I certainly don't do so if I am going to be overtaking again in 300 yards. But then I don't drive the center lane at 60.  

Steve

You dont pull pack in to the left lane. not olny do you know that the next car to overtake is only 300yards infront but you also have it in your mind that there are 7 cars all going to floor it when you do pull in and you will be sitting there with the indicator on for ages tring in vain to get back out on to the fast lane and get away from 60mph, no matter what speed your doing there is always some git behind you swerving from left to right on the same lane, which incidently is not going to make me pull over or speed up,  
   Also why is it that when you have passed 2 or 3 cars and decide your going to get back on the slow lane that the car behind you has already started speeding up very aggresivlely, right up behind you with his/her indicator on before you get passed the last car!

The roads are full of mad people, everytime the wife and I go out on it we get into an argument about something, its not a nice way to spend the day.

Theres my rant
JJ
IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 3:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Angryyou go on about scorps in the middle lane when 99%of all van drivers are total  f**king Idiots thinking they have to get the speedo to go back to 0 or nothing and the amount of them that cut you up dive across 3 lanes to get off at the next junction and do not have indicators fitted and think siting up someones rear so you can just get a fag paper in and a mobile phone stuck to there ear is a little rich i think .I cover 80,000 miles a year and can say the standard of van drivers in general is bloody crap there is but a small number that you can call professional drivers AngryI was between birmingham and manchester on the day in question in a scorp with PHplates on was i one Undecided
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.