Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:33pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Life After The Scorpio »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Life After The Scorpio
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Life After The Scorpio  (Read 4468 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Life After The Scorpio
« on: Jan 1st, 2005, 6:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was wondering... what do you all honestly think about your Scorpio? And are you wondering what you'll own next?

I love mine to bits but I am starting to wonder whether I should spend money on it and keep it for, erm... ever?  Roll Eyes
Or get rid and get something else. But what? And how much will that cost?  Shocked

What are your thoughts?
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
phuturephantasy

Email

Re: Life After The Scorpio
« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 6:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I love my Scorpio 24v but if the Insurance wasn't quite so steep (i.e double what I pay for my Scorpio Cossie) I'd have a Lexus LS400 - probably the most refined engine ever built by man - Simply Stunning how quiet this 4.0 or 4.3 V8 is..

Maybe when I've been driving for a couple of years.
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 7:05pm »

I must admit I've been looking around for a new motor this last month since I bought the wife a new Pug 206cc....we are so hard up North that the wife and I drove 'top less' phaa phaar....hood down last night even though it was -1 outside !!! the 2litre pulls like a train, and handles like a roller skate.

anyway, I've been looking at the Mondeo  ST TDCi   ...estate...fully loaded with huge 18 inch wheels in machine silver......lovely....6 months old X demonstator..sat nav and all the goodies

but I just cannot justify the new motor as both my Scorps are running perfect, need nothing spending on them and both would have to go to justify the mondy....I've driven the mondy.....lovely.....what a dilemma. 40 odd mpg from the mondy against 25 ish from the scorps.

any thoughts?
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 7:20pm »

I only keep cars between 6 months and 18 months i do about 20,000 miles a year running to and fro seeing kids, got the 12v not cheap to run got 117,000 on clock so i'm thinking of getting one of them kia sedona's ,my mate got 1 he loves it but do i keep the scorpio and get rid of the other halfs rover  Lips Sealed , i would love to run it into the ground but doing so many miles need something to trust which at the moment it is, but i am in love with the car so i am in the same postion as everyone else don't want to get rid of it ,
   Lee  
 don't i go on  Grin
IP Logged
nadaman

mk2 granada 2.8i sport auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 7:36pm »

GET RID OF THE ROVER!  Grin Grin

paul
IP Logged

wash that granada, he doesn't want to get the lorr
craig

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 8:19pm »

paul

i agree with you as much that i really do enjoy the scorpio,and mine is still running as sweet as the day we got it,now it's showing 77,000 miles,and still just as sweet,however,yes we cant run cars forever,and like phuturephantasy,i must admit to having a strong urge for the LS400 lexus,ever since i travelled in one,i was smitten,even though the scorpio is generously equipped,the lexus does leave it standing in all departments (my personal opinion),the only downside is the size of the thing,not a problem for me,but amanda has some reservations ............
but still,when it's time for the scorpio to be "moved on",if i can find a decent one in the "budget",it'll have to be a lexus i'm afraid...........

for what it's worth

craig..
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 8:33pm »

The problem I face is the same as everyone else I think.
The Scorpio is worth (like it or not) next to nothing  Sad
The car I'd like is too much money  Sad Sad

If I had the dosh, I'd like to try one of these...
(Audi A8 6.0 Quattro)

Mind you, at 75grand, I don't think I'll get one anytime soon
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 9:32pm »

I am getting a Chrysler Grand Voyager next. And if the missis will let me, we will sell her "shake your ass" crappy renault megane and buy one even sooner!!

I just want something really big with TVs and things (even though I have them in the Scorp!

Baz
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 10:52pm »

Well I had been half-planning the Scorpio for the last four or so years, even before I had a license, and now I have it i'm loving it. But i've planned the next one, and i'm fairly sure about it. Hopefully, anyway. The VW Passat 4.0 W8. It's just the natural step up...

4 speed auto becomes 5 speed auto
3.0 becomes 4.0
V6 becomes W8
Decent quality becomes very high quality.

I don't fancy footing parts bills though... being realistic, the Scorpio will most likely be the 'best' car i'll ever own. The Scorpio is like a loophole in the system. Why can nineteen-year-olds afford to run them... it just doesn't add up. I'll never have an opportunity like this again...  Like Paul said, the Scorpio is worth next to nothing and that's the only way I afforded one.  

D

PS. There are too many annoying moving things on  my profile, right? I'm going to change it all. Make it a little more.. static. Apologies for any stigmatisms triggered.
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:10pm »

When you say Grand Voyager, is it one of these?

http://www.chryslervoyager.com/whs_chrysler_voyager_bluf1902.JPG

Hmmm.. they're pretty swanky. There's something missing though...
D
IP Logged

nadaman

mk2 granada 2.8i sport auto

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:33pm »

on Jan 1st, 2005, 11:10pm, Dave wrote:
they're pretty swanky. There's something missing though...
D

the number plate?  Wink

paul
IP Logged

wash that granada, he doesn't want to get the lorr
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 11:38pm »

Dave,

yes it is one of those. As you come from Wilmslow, you will more than likely see a lot of them dropping kids off at school. No not the parents, these are driven by the au-pairs!!

Nice, especially if you can get a low miler in black with privacy glass....looks like something from the CIA!!
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:33am »

The numberplate yes! But also the cosworth. And everything that is the Scorpio, would you not miss it?

There is one Voyager in particular  that I see around town.. black, blacked out windows, driven by a black guy. So it does look very cool actually.  He also wears a phone headset.. think he chauffeurs. A few years ago at school a family came in wanting to raise some cash to buy a big car that would accomodate their disabled son.. they wanted a ramp and everything. In the end they made enough money to buy a new Voyager.. isn't that about £30k? Honestly. There's charity and then there's just... I don't know what.  

Chase the dream, Baz. You should be able to catch it pretty easily with the Scorpio. Ho  !

D
IP Logged

phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 4:42pm »

I remember the Chrysler Voyager being on TopGear and it did so badly in the Crash tests that you may as well be driving in a biscuit tin.

http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ratings/details.php?id1=5&id2 =56
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 6:05pm »

on Jan 1st, 2005, 7:05pm, bertie wrote:
I must admit I've been looking around for a new motor this last month since I bought the wife a new Pug 206cc....we are so hard up North that the wife and I drove 'top less' phaa phaar....hood down last night even though it was -1 outside !!! the 2litre pulls like a train, and handles like a roller skate.

anyway, I've been looking at the Mondeo  ST TDCi   ...estate...fully loaded with huge 18 inch wheels in machine silver......lovely....6 months old X demonstator..sat nav and all the goodies

but I just cannot justify the new motor as both my Scorps are running perfect, need nothing spending on them and both would have to go to justify the mondy....I've driven the mondy.....lovely.....what a dilemma. 40 odd mpg from the mondy against 25 ish from the scorps.

any thoughts?

dont want to put a dampener on ur new motor Bertie but watch out for the roof. It fails to close and is prone to leaking. Peugeot are aware of the problem and rectify it under warranty

IP Logged
low_tom

mam the car goes up and down!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 6:34pm »

the 206cc roof fault is down to low power in the battery and the actuators getting slightly out of line. apparently. drove a 4.2 A8 last chrimbo,nice car,but not £62k nice i'm afraid. Also drove E320 CDi merc and that rocked. Aside from not having a V8 it was just as capable as the audi and nicer inside. And £32K. Lexus LS400's are awesome tho,would like to lowrider one of them too. SO smooth. Most fun production car driven,MG ZT-T V8. so much fun and well comfy inside. Very good for surprising boy racers too  Grin
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:30pm »

Shocked I held off a Z4 today!!! They must have been in the wrong gear.
IP Logged

Baz

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:33pm »

The voyager tested was a 1999 model. If you look at the NCap test results for most pre 2000 model cars they would be as bad and it is as good as a 2003 Kia Sedona. I have no doubt that the Scorpio would be either a 1 or 2 star rated car and with its slopey front would propel a pedestrian at least 30 yards!!

The car manufacturers only woke up to safety after 2000. My missus drives a 2003 Megane shake your ass thingy (ugly is safe!!) which has a 5 star rating and was driven into another car at 40 mph by a bloke on top gear without  any special safety gear. He walked away OK. I would of course take this into account (as did my wife) before I bought any other new car. I had brand new cars for 12 years but the Scorpio was a passion and will be hard to replace but bearing in mind mine is probably one of the last and with 63k on the clock, will not last forever so who knows, I may go for another Rover 75!!
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 3:56pm »

Mmm 75s are nice, for Rover. That's all ye can say about them.

I've found a good replacement for the Scorpio for those of us who struggle with cash.  

http://www.autotudos.hu/kep_het_kep_03_10_kia_magentis_nagy.jpg

It's the Kia Magentis. Kind of ugly, kind of big, nice and low down compared to Mondeos etc. The top spec is a 2.5 litre V6 automatic with leather seats, air con, electric windows and a CD player. You could pick a 2001 basic model up for 4k. The V6 0-60 is 8.5 seconds. Road noise is supposed to be pretty loud on the motorway.  

All in all, the Kia version of a BMW. Much lower quality.. but it's basically all there. And I think they're not too shabby. Hmm!

Dave
IP Logged

Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 4:00pm »

In fact just read this.  

Front-wheel-drive Magentis introduced with one engine and two trim levels: LX and SE. The LX is available with a five-speed manual gearbox or Tiptronic sequential auto, while the SE is available with Tiptronic only. Both models come with ABS with EBD, front airbags, electric windows, air conditioning, a CD player, alarm, immobiliser, alloy wheels, remote central locking, electric mirrors, 60/40 split folding rear seat, height adjustable driver’s seat, tilt adjustable steering wheel and ISOFIX child seat anchors. The SE gains side airbags, traction control, leather upholstery, climate control, heated door mirrors, cruise control, electrically adjustable front seats, lumber adjustment for the driver’s seat and leather-covered steering wheel and gear knob. Facelift in early 2003 gives Magentis a new-look front and improved equipment.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.