Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« French Trip »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   French Trip
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: French Trip  (Read 1630 times)
philgood

2.9l 12v Auto (95 M) Ultima Saloon (Aubergine)

View Profile Email

French Trip
« on: Jan 28th, 2005, 1:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I’ve booked a week’s holiday in the south of France in mid April & decided to drive all the way.
I’ve booked the ferry crossing to & from Calais but might change the outgoing to Euro-tunnel train.
I’m looking forward to the adventure, along with my 2 sons & 2 of their friends (aged between 12 & 16) but can any one offer any advice on driving in France, around Paris, things to take & points to look out for etc.  
All advice welcome
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
ren

95 N 2.9 24v Cossie Estate

View Profile

Re: French Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 4:07am »

if you go on the main page and scroll to bottom
theres a search box if u type in abroad,it gives
some tips on continental driving,also how to
change your headlight beams.

hth  
 Ren
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 8:21am »

try here, for crossing very good prices at the mo for France...http://www.speedferries.com/

booked mine last October........... Brilliant service....
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:13pm »

Phil,you should have a warning triangle,a spare set of bulbs,a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. The french have a code called the good citizen. Also make sure you have some eoros in small denominations for the toll booths. You can make frequent rest stops at "airs",some are better than others.The best one comming from Calis is the Bais du somme. You can refuel and get a very good coffee there. The kids can feed the ducks while you have a rest . If you can go via the pont de norm it is a gigantic bridge with breathtaking views.
Have a great trip. Oh last of all, dont speed on any roads near towns, the coppers WILL nick you and demand money on the spot. They use very long range camera systems that can get you up to 5 kms away.
IP Logged
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 3:34pm »

Thanks all.
The route that I take might send me round the Paris ring road & I’ve heard that this piece of road can be stressful! Has any one got any tips on this part of my journey? Or should I avoid it completely?
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 6:10pm »

when going around the paris ring road  is easy and any one telling you differant is trying to wind you up.  Grin
   but remember don't drive in the inside lane as they do just pull out ,and keep up with traffic flow and apart from that just enjoy. also some of the N. routes (like our A-roads ) are just as nice to drive down and loads of towns to shop at and rest  
   hope this helps been a while since i drove out there but can't of changed that much  
                  Lee
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 6:14pm »

Phil... you mention Paris. I went there back in the summer and just stood and stared in amazement at the traffic around Arc d'Triumph.  Shocked
Utter chaos at rush hour. You'd be lucky to get your Scorpio around in one piece.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 6:14pm »

phil  
 I see you are in harlow, if you can make the Herts meet next month i have a couple of maps you can borrow, 1 of Europe and 1 of France just found them in cupboard ,so you are more than welcome if you want  
   Lee
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 6:17pm »

Paul the centre of paris is a lot differant to the ring road  Grin
when i was younger and still driving vans  Undecided had to deliver around the centre but when i got used to it i found it easier than london  Grin
    Lee
IP Logged
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 6:33pm »

Thanks for the response
I think that I will still head for the Paris ring road and give it ago! I might regret it but on the other hand if I don’t try I’ll never know. Plus it’s the most direct route so hopefully the quickest!
By the way Paul, I’ve managed to get hold of several maps from a work colleague who has done the some driving in France, Plus I can’t make the meet due to the fact that I’ll be on shift that weekend. Thanks anyway for the offer.
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 12:03am »

We're off to the South of France (Argeles sur Mer) at the end of June for 3 and a half weeks of bliss. Two weeks or so on holiday and a bit of time looking for somewhere to move to in the near future!!

I have done Disneyland Paris last October but I have sat nav in the car and it is brilliant when used in France.

In my pre sat nav Rover 75 days, when travelling to the south of France we usually go Calais - Reims - Troyes - Dijon - Lyon - Nimes - Montpellier - Perpignan - Argeles

Not the most direct route but it avoids almost all of the major traffic areas and takes you far from the madding crowds of Paris. I have used this route many times and have done the whole trip, Argeles to Warrington in 17 hours or so.
IP Logged
philgood

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 2nd, 2005, 9:20pm »

Conclusion of trip
Had a great time thank all for the advice. On the out ward journey I got lost in Paris, ended up going along the river “very nice” but had difficulty in finding my way out! There seem to be no motorway signs, only local signs!
Apart from that had a great journey to the south of France, near Montpellier, took 15 hrs to travel about 750 miles.
But on trying to find the destination site, got a bit lost and ended up with a nice French local, driving an old black Peugeot 206, hitting me from behind at a “T” junction. Then after trying to communicate with him, he decided to drive away without giving any details! Leaving me standing at the junction like a typical brit!
I notice the letter “A” in his rear window that apparently denotes a learner.
Still all lights worked so finished my journey not too worse for ware.
The journey home was even quicker thanks to my sons navigation AROUND Paris this time.
The car was a pleasure to drive but had difficulty in changing over the head light symmetry. I found the little lever on the headlight but it didn’t really seem to do anything?
The Conclusion is that I would do it again.
IP Logged

Regards

Phil.
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 3rd, 2005, 9:38pm »

thats great  
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 4th, 2005, 2:13pm »

Hi Phil, glad you had a great trip. Re your meeting with a local...take heart, they nearly always drive away! Shocked
The best you can get is the gallic shrug ROFL
It happened to me in Villens-et-juhl, near Le Mans. A local woman clumped my rear bumper and did a bunk...
much growling and muttering ensued but after all it is just a car Shocked

sorry guys...dont hit me.
LOL

ferret
IP Logged
TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: May 5th, 2005, 11:44am »

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I am planning something similar at the moment going down to Pottier. I have decided to go to Le Havre and drive from there.
With regards to the Perifique around Paris, I have been round it twice, in one hour! On a motorbike with 8 others. In the rush hour. I nearly died from the fumes. I thought I was a good rider in heavy traffic (15 years riding in London), but boy, those French kids on their Supermoto's looked like Kamikaze pilots who were late Shocked

I have avoided it since. I always took a different route done to Le Mans.

Cheers

Pete H
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: May 5th, 2005, 2:16pm »

I fancy a trip to the WW1  Battlefields but  I'm   apprehensive   'bout   driving a  RHD  car  on the  right  ( if you know what I mean )  and the generally apalling  driving  behavior of the French   ( or am I being unfair ?) .   I've driven on the right in the US with no problems  but that was with a  LHD.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 5th, 2005, 6:56pm »

Once you get into the swing of it you will not have any real problems, I have driven all over the continent over the years (too many to mention) without any traumas about driving on the right.

Make sure you have a good navigator and reliable for clear roads when wanting to overtake the inevitable Farmer and tractor!

Go for it.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 11th, 2005, 6:46pm »

The French are fairly good drivers,certainly no worse than us brits, watch them on the roundabouts though!!!!

Just like at home,in their local territory they zip about a bit too.

eddie
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: May 11th, 2005, 6:56pm »

Just remember as well if you are on the motorway doing 120 in the outside lane, that a citroen dyane will get to withinh 4 inches of your rear bumper and will then flash his lights until you move over. He will then zoom past at a speed you never thought possible. It is a fact though that the French do flash you out of the way on the motorway and you are expected to shift if they do. Don't do the English bit and take the "I'm not shifting for you matey" attitude!

Baz
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: May 12th, 2005, 11:59am »

Some years ago I was over taken by an elderly french couple in an old merc towing a VERY big boat. I was doing about 90 and they went zooming past!....
Some kilometers further on was the merc on its side, the old froggie dears sitting at the side of the road and the boat in thousands of bits!
I am constantly amazed at the bread tin size cars and the speed they get up to. Everything inside must be vibrating to such an extent that their world must be just a blur in the rear view mirror...if they ever use it...hmm
But remember guys, the local fuzz like to nick brits more than the locals and WILL extract euros from your wallet on the spot. If you havent got the wonga,you are stranded for all time untill you pay up, or they will impound your car and leave you on the side of the road.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.