Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 8:30am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« It's getting too expensive... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   It's getting too expensive...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: It's getting too expensive...  (Read 4084 times)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: It's getting too expensive...
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

John,

I have often wondered why you have so many and do you have a photo of them all together? Now that would be nice

Baz
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 9:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

well i got a digital camera. i know how to send photos by email and even put them onto ebay but not able to work it out yet how to put them on this site.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 9:44pm »

i park them three abreast on my front forecourt, plenty of room to get inbeteem them to wash them etc. but can't just get the four on, so one have to stay outside.
But if the 1996 one should go wrong I will just keep the three.
Its handy having spare motors, if you leave the car phone on over the weekend and flatten the battery no big deal, you jump into one of the others.
And if the Ford Main Dealer ignores your car and at tea time you find that they have not even looked at it and the same the next day.
It fourteen miles to my son's school and fourteen miles back. it takes 20 minutes, a very pleasant run, it would take 2 hours or longer to get there by train and buses before and after the train. so got to have a good motor.
Its not the sort of school you can have a day off or turn up late, very serious stuff, as i can see from the school notice boards. LOL.  
All the brats,  refer to them going to work not going to school.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 10:13pm »

well the first car I got was the 2.0 estate. Funny this but I had just got a computer, did not know anythink about them self taught.now.
So I discovered the ebay by it coming up and messing around saw it on a colthing page not the car pages, so bid on it and got it. did not have to go far, just to Birmingham from Coventry.
It used to beyond to a company so was fitted with car phone and private phone left in. real nice car.
then i saw the 2.3 Estate in Atlantic blue not on ebay "S" reg with washers for head lamps and rear reversing sensors. done only 45,000 miles or something like. I had just missed one that a garage was selling in London for £9995 for a same car that had done just 32,000 miles.
So that should have been that, and it was till recent, when I saw the red car on ebay in reading, done only 60,000 miles. So I throught that if I could get that for £3500 or less I would have that, because it had only done 60,000 miles and it was a sheer stunning car by far the very best around. which turned out to be false.  
so i when ahead with it because it is so nice inside and the body un-marked etc.
So b****r me, two weeks later, the cosworth came up for sale and that was in Birmingham as well just done 60,000 miles.
So I like everyone else throught Cosworth, the best thing since sliced bread.
Well I won't say anything more about Cosworth's, don't want to upset any Cosworth owners. so I just had to have it.
All four cars are just like they left the factory, what I mean is no supermarkets dints or dents, immaculate. The insides are just like new as well.
If that cosworth had come up before the red saloon, I would have let it pass by.
Anyway, my son likes the cosworth, but i don't go fast 60 mph to school because they are not motorway type roads.
Hey baz, you know how Ford sent the cosworth cars out the factory with just the 24V badge on the sides, to not advertise the fact that the car was a cosworth.
Well the last owner was a managing director of Guest Motors, big Ford Dealers In Birmingham.
On the front and rear bumper it got Cosworth in very large letters. must be transfers I reckon. but look real nice and just so large.  
So I don't use that car late at night if I know I got to park it somewhere where it could get nicked.

IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 7:55am »

So... are all these cars taxed and insured all the time?  Huh

I've got another car and a van for work, but I can't always afford to have all 3 running legally at the same time.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #25 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 8:34am »

John

to insert a picture, first you need to host it on a site such as www.tinypic.com. You just browse using the button, for the picture you want and then click "Host It" It then gives goes through its routine and the page reloads with a box at the bottom containing 3 web-like addresses. If you highlight and then click copy, the one which begins with "[ img]" and ends with"[ /img]" the picture can then be inserted into the posting box you fill in to send a post to here. Just click the preview button before you submit and you will be able to see what it will look like. I would be interested to see the pictures you have.    

PS, If the pictures are pretty big, just post the link from tinypic which is the normal www.****.jpg and we can look at it on their site    

Baz    
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 12:15pm »

all taxed and insured the insurance is cheap because i am the only driver. so when one is on the road the other three are not.
IP Logged
Just Call Me Captain

Email

« Reply #27 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 2:46pm »

Hi John - So what you are saying - if you are a named and sole driver - You can insure two cars for the same price ??

How does that work if - lets say a fire and both got burnt out ??

Captain
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #28 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:47pm »

No! No! No! No!. (is that enought No's) that's not what i saying.
In the old days you brought a car and started with no NCB and each year you progressively get NCB until you get your maxium.
Then you buy a second car and still wish to keep the first, so you have to start all over again to build up another NCB for the second car.
(There are lots and lots of insurance companies still work like that).
I am with Saga and they allow me the same NCB on all four cars. So with other companies I would have had to build up four NCB.
But I am the only driver, my wife can't drive, (thank goodness) but my son can, trouble is he only 9 so can't see where he going. But at least it handy having him to give advice. very good at doing this.
So I got agreed value insurance, (you try asking your insurance company for that) So just to mention one, the 1996 2.0 estate. insured for £3000 because of its condition. so if the repairs would cost £3000 or more, I would get £3000 less the excess of £200, making £2800 due to me.
I got agreed value on all my cars.
And I got Protected NCB so I can make two claims in five years without it effecting my NCB.
You can get in touch with Saga all year round straight away and they are their own insurance company. no dealing with others.

IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #29 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:55pm »

Sorry I missed that about insured two cars for the same price.
No you can't do that, you have to insure each car, but you can insure each on the one NCB.
But with Saga I found them the very best prices and you will not end up in trouble having a battle like with Norwich Union etc.
There are people who will say but I pay £5 less per year than you. but you have to conpare like with like.
I could knock about £60 off my insurance straight away by not having protected NCB and having an excess of £500 instead of £200.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #30 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 4:57pm »

you can insurance on a block policy to include a number of cars but it very exspensive doing it that way, also lots of companies will not do that.
I thinking it might be for private hire companies.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #31 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 1:31am »

on Feb 18th, 2005, 12:15pm, johnv wrote:
so when one is on the road the other three are not.

Excuse me... you say you know so much about insurance but the above statement is utter nonsense... a car is insured whether it is driven (or even if it CAN'T be driven) standing off the road, on the road, or moving on it. So to say you get cheaper insurance because only one of four is on the road under "risk" is patently wrong.

You insure it as an item that is at risk... immaterial of whether it drives at all.

My old Granada Ghia was off the road for 4 months while I had it sorted, it was around the back of my house nowhere near the road and because it had no brakes it could not be driven... but I was still obliged to insure it properly. (I know this as the Police came round specifically to make sure I had it ingrained in my head).. flippin' nosey neighbours..  Grin
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #32 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 2:11pm »

to vulcan, its seen like you trying to pick an argument here. i have never said that i know so much about insurance.
send me a copy of when i said that.
also you are not understanding what is being written. of course all cars are insured all the time, but the fact that only one is being driven and on the public highway at anyone time is different from having all four being driven and on the public highway. at the same time.
Also the fact that I never made a claim in  all my life and have a maxium 70% NCB and no parking, speeding and all the rest puts me in a very good like with my insurance company.
It so very clear that you are upset or anoyed that you are with Norwich Union and I left posting to state what have gone on with others that have been treated badly by them.
Because that was all they where, posting on bad service to others, just like I leave bad postings about my Ford Main Dealer.
You where told not to read if you where a Norwich Union insured, but you choose to read, so its you own fault is you did read.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #33 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 3:26pm »

No mate not trying to start an argument, more a discussion or even just straightforward light hearted banter just as I would if I were face to face with you.

I said you seem to know so much about insurance because it just seems to me that 80% or more of your posts are about insurance in one way or another or are bashing Norwich Union as insurers. The whole subject is becoming tiresome, I am not annoyed or upset that I am insured with NU, quite the contrary in fact as they are very nice people (to me at least)

Lastly I don't think it is appropriate for anyone to make a posting then dictate whom they think should or should not read it, this is a public discussion forum and as such all posts can and will be read by everybody. I read EVERY post on here and will continue to do so regardless of being told that I in a group that should not view something.

As I said at the start I am not trying to start any arguments nor I hope does anything I say give offence, if anyone feels that it does then just tell me and I will retract any offending statment and be more careful in future.

Have a nice day. Grin Grin Grin

George

IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 3:51pm »

I'm personally not offended by any comments made so far. But I am slightly concerned that this topic is getting out of hand (as things sometimes do). And the last time there was a discussion which got a bit heated, four people got banned.

I must say though, I don't quite understand how you're getting a reduced rate for 'regular' cars. The agreed value, limited mileage policies for classic cars I fully understand - I have one of those.
But if I were to go and buy another Scorpio, I'm certain I'd have to start a new policy with zero no-claims. That's what happened with the 2 regular policies I have running now. But they're now both up to maximum NCD (or they were until recently  Embarassed) so I'm not too worried anymore.

But anyway, let's not argue eh?
IP Logged

low_tom

mam the car goes up and down!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #35 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 5:37pm »

all insurance companies operate different quoting structures,and offer different benefits. I had an Equity Red Star policy a few years back that allowed me to insure 4 bikes on the same policy,the premium was higher than just for one,but lower than if i insured them all seperately by about a grand. However i have tried in vain to find a multiple car policy that was reasonable. The company who i used to insure my yanks when i had them would do multiple cars,but only yanks. Horses for courses gentlemen, At the end of the day,if you're happy with what you have, then why challenge others? 1....2....3.....breathe....  Smiley
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #36 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 6:20pm »

well there has been lots said on insurance, so how did it all start.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
It started with that poor student guy asking for help when a taxi driver (I believe, without going back in time to look it up) damaged his car quite bad and the insurance company would not repair his car.
The student was entitled to have his car put right and be in the position he was in before his car was damaged.
So the poor student was given the run around and given much grief by the insurance company.
After much time in given the student heart-acre, the insurance company agreed to do what they should have done in the first place.
No doubt what us people said on this site, help the Student guy to stand his ground and get what he was entitled to in the first place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
So it dried down, but a week ago I was driven home by a top guy from one of the largest and best car repairs firms I know of. and the guy started to tell me about the best insurance company he deal with and the worst he has to deal with.
I did not speak a word, so can not be said I prompted him.
So I left that further posting because I throught people would like to know. If I was or was considering an insurance company or in deed any trader I won't to know the good ones and the bad ones.
There is nothing personal, if someone finds out anything about my insurance please tell me, I won't to know, and  I will thank them for bringing it to my attention.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #37 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 6:25pm »

However i have tried in vain to find a multiple car policy that was reasonable
---------------------------------------------------------------------
and me, that was what i first tried to do. four cars on one policy. no takers.
either do not do that type of policy or
its  far to expensive
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #38 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 7:03pm »

But if I were to go and buy another Scorpio, I'm certain I'd have to start a new policy with zero no-claims. That's what happened with the 2 regular policies I have running now. But they're now both up to maximum NCD (or they were until recently
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Paul, When I was younger I had to do that. I had a maxium NCB on my car and when I got another car I had to start all over again.
There are lots of insurance companies that will require you to do that. even now. most of them.
But if you try seeking them out, there are some like mine that will allow you one and only NCB on any amount of cars you have.
But only if you insure them owner only driver. (Well they not going to do that if a whole lot of people are going to be jumping in them.
I keep saying this but can people not understand.
I got four cars, so these are on private land, not on the public highway. So as they are owner only driver only one is on the public highway. at any one time.
So of course they are all insured all the time. If someone comes and set light to them all, they are all insured.
So it must be that the worst risk is being driven on the public highway. and the insurance company consider that the risk being parked upon private land is not to great.
But it must be taken into account my excellent record of nether making a motor claim.
Again my house and contents are with them, my telephone, in fact most of my business is with them. I guess on this part now, but I wonder if that counts in their decision.
Anyway if anyone else is getting a second car and only has the one NCB if worth asking all the insurance companies to do what mine does for me. It does not hurt to ask. But forget it, if your wife or anyone else is going to drive or you not got a 100% CLEAN RECORD.

IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #39 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 7:04pm »

Hmm....

So George.... You keeping the car then?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.