Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 8:24pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« POSH PETROL »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   POSH PETROL
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: POSH PETROL  (Read 2980 times)
johnv

Email

POSH PETROL
« on: Feb 19th, 2005, 7:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I thinking that supermarkets petrol stations do not sell it.
I been looking around my large Tesco, walked around all the pumps and its all un-leaded or diesel.
Again at Safeways.
Anyway I not bothered, because just 1 mile down the road there is a BP forecore with a little safeways attached to it and the petrol is BP and they have it.
IP Logged
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Re: POSH PETROL
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 7:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

how much is the posh petrol per litre near you  Cheesy
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 8:35pm »

The BP normal un-leaded petrol used to be 78.9 and the Ultimate petrol,  (what I call Posh petrol) 5p more so 83.9.
But I just filled up yesterday and its gone up to un-leaded 80.9 so now 85.9.
But wait till tomorrow, because I going to fill up one of the other cars and I can tell you right up-todate, tomorrow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
But I can say for concrete sure, that the un-leaded petrol at Safeways supermarkets is 2p cheaper than at the small safeways Petrol station.
I.m told that it is because the small Safeways the petrol station belongs to BP and safeways sort of rent or lease or whatever the shop.
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2005, 11:18pm »

Posh petrol.....Huh You mean super unleaded? If so then thats for highperformance cars like porche, lambo's and scooby's and the like......
IP Logged
low_tom

mam the car goes up and down!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 12:19am »

i think johnv just means high octane unleaded. gimmme elf blugas anyday in a 2-stroke motard  Grin
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:47am »

posh means the BP Ultimate or that shell  petrol that is about 5p more expensive that the normal un-leaded.
But I finding it not more expensive as it giving me more miles per gallon.
I mean up from 19 to 22 MPG on my 2.0 16V sometimes it goes to 23 but drops to 22 MPG most of the time.
I hooked on it now.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:52am »

Sunday morning BP petrol is 78.99 for normal un-leaded at super-markets and 80.99 at the BP garage type sellors.
But I seen at a Esso garage 78.99 but not seen it any cheaper unless you go to Asda.
Got only knows what petrol they are selling.
I think that Super-markets should mark their pumps with who's petrol they are selling.
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 10:49am »

posh petrol is ok,  but i'm working class so do they do a working class petrol  Grin
    Lee
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 1:10pm »

I'm getting my upper class fuel from Sainsbury's.

I'm led to believe its Shell petrol but I'm yet to find anyone working in the garage who seems to know  Undecided

Anyway, it does respond better with this stuff in it. And if you spend enough in the main store you get a money off coupon which makes the super the same price as working class fuel  Wink
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
johnv

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 3:29pm »

posh petrol is ok,  but i'm working class so do they do a working class petrol  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
they sell working class fuel at all garages, but its not called petrol its called diesel.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 3:34pm »

hi paul, At my Sainsburys if you spend £50 you get money coupons off. that's what you mean.
But what does it say on the pump as regards what type of fuel it is.
I mean we all know what un-leaded mean, what do they call the posh petrol.
Someone said a while ago that Tesco petrol was shell or any other fuel they can get hold off.
i don't like that at all. I mean one week Shell, the next week Jet, then the next week Esso and who knows what you would be buying from week to week.
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 3:39pm »

Hullo all. I've said it before and i'll say it again.. standard unleaded and diesel, whether it be called premium (esso) or whatever, is the same across all sites. Literally. It's not just brewed to the same strength, it's literally the same stuff. There are two main fuel sites (there are more, but) in England and 'Hoyer' operate in Manchester and serve as far as the midlands and yorkshire.. When they take fuel to Esso sites, they use a tanker with an Esso label, when they take it to Shell sites, they use one with a Shell label.

As for 'super' and 'optimax' unleaded I believe they have time and space to brew the various different types for different sites. When I worked at an Esso (I worked at an Esso  Embarassed ), an average delivery would include 25,000 litres of petrol, 15,000 litres of diesel, and about 2,000 litres of super unleaded.

Interesting esso trivia:
The Hoyer trucks are serviced every fortnight and in a lifetime normally cover around two million miles.
The Hoyer staff shift patterns are worked out by a highly paid psychologist/sleep expert.
You have to deal one million litres of fuel a year to succeed in the fuel retail game.  
They make more profit on one pint of milk than they do on 40 litres of fuel.

End.

D
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 4:38pm »

They make more profit on one pint of milk than they do on 40 litres of fuel.  
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I for one will not be putting any milk in my petrol tank.
I can understand that petrol is petrol, but the Posh petrol must be different, if only to have additives in, because it increases my MPG. (no doubt about it),
So where does BP petrol come from? the same place as Shell and Esso.
Don't forget that the large Tesco I when to all their pumps where marked un-leaded. No pumps had the words Super on them.
Still next week I go to a Sainsbury supermarket and see what it says on their pumps.
I thinking now why sell un-leaded petrol, why not just sell the Posh or super petrol because when you take into account the extra miles you get it works out at the same price.

IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 5:14pm »

You  could  become ( or pretend ) to be a farmer and fill  up  your  Deisel   Scorp  at  14 p  a litre.  

Oops!

I'm  not  inferring  that  ALL our Country  Friends  indulge in this  illegal activity .
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 7:47pm »

Sainsburys do 97 octane unleaded Cheesy

eddie
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 7:56pm »

on Feb 20th, 2005, 3:39pm, Dave wrote:
. There are two main fuel sites (there are more, but) in England and 'Hoyer' operate in Manchester and serve as far as the midlands and yorkshire..  
D

There is a huge site 5 mins from  me in Tamworth.....  Esso, Texaco, and BP use it to fill up their tankers....
IP Logged
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:02pm »

i live near a total garage which sells the normal petrol but 5 miles away from me there is a bp garage which sell the ultimate unleaded i could not see the price on the pump so i went to the kiosk and asked they told me it was 87p per ltr the normal unleaded was 77p per ltr i wonder if i got more miles on the dearer petrol if so im gonna start to use the 87p ltr  Wink
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #17 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:21pm »

Sainsburys do 97 octane unleaded  

So what will it say on the pump, eddie. will it say super un-leaded or what will it say to make it difference from the normal un-leaded.
So what octane is the normal un-leaded.

(i wonder what octane the milk is then)
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:23pm »

There is a huge site 5 mins from  me in Tamworth.....  Esso, Texaco, and BP use it to fill up their tankers

god, the plot thickens, so its all the same petrol just differents drivers and tankers.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 8:27pm »

Some oil company odd facts...

EXXON started out as Standard Oil, (S.O.) but soon realised this could be displayed as the word "Esso". Later, when this was discovered to mean "stalled car" in Japanese, the company put $2 million into researching a new name and decided upon EXXON, which doesn't mean anything else in any known language.  

To maintain balance, we are reliably informed that BP spent £1,000,000 to an 'advertising consultancy' to change their logo, and they changed it from 'BP' to 'BP' in italics !!!!

Some interesting links..
http://www.zyra.org.uk/exxon.htm

http://www.zyra.org.uk/oil.htm

From the Chevron site:

Gas is gas, right? Not quite! Fact is, all gasolines contain additives. Some additives are better than others are, but none surpass the proven power of Techron®. And only Chevron gasolines contain Techron.

..and Chevron's technical review of "Gas"
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/motorgas/

A Q and A about petrol, Q21 is quite relevant...

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/motorgas/8_q-a/

All the info that you can find on the net about Petrol is mostly American it would appear.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.