Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 7:24am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« POSH PETROL »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   POSH PETROL
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: POSH PETROL  (Read 2983 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: POSH PETROL
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 9:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

John V.... Normal unleaded is 95 octane, while the higher grade is 97 (or maybe 98  Undecided)
The Sainsburys I go to has it labelled on the pump as "Super Unleaded" and this is spat out by 4 of the 12 pumps there.

My results after 4 tanks have been better response on the throttle. I can't honestly say I've noticed any significant increase in MPG though. Maybe slightly but not a lot.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
johnv

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My results after 4 tanks have been better response on the throttle. I can't honestly say I've noticed any significant increase in MPG though. Maybe slight;y but not a lot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder if your 24V does not show up as more  miles per gallon with its bigger engine as does the 2.0 does.
I can't check my 24V;  MPG as I did not bother to check out before i started to use it.
I hoping that the posh petrol will stop me having problems in the future by keeping the engine clean.
I looking at my 2.3 car to see if my fuel figures improve. so its watch this space
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 11:13am »

hullo. Aye we do need to get hold of the farmer's diesel! it's called Red Diesel and is identical, only dyed, and with absolutely no tax.  

Not a bad idea of John's about getting rid of standard unleaded and just using super, but I tried a few tanks of super in my 1984 VW and it absolutely hated it! The higher octanes etc are moving with the times as cars are. Greater efficiency from engines is always coupled with higher octane fuels. Honda's higher performance VTEC engines are reported to return an extra 5 BHP from super unleaded.. I've always used Optimax in my Cosworth, for a few reasons, as someone said it's supposed to be cleaner for your fuel system, return slightly better MPG, better performance and generally smoother running.  

I reckon one thing we should do is avoid buying petrol from garages that are more than 15-20 years old, as in the mid eighties they started using plastic-lined tanks instead of lead, or whatever it was. In addition, older garages will have a lot more crud at the bottom of their tanks, which won't necessarily be sucked up but then again, maybe it will......

Shocked
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 7:24pm »

What does the hand book say about using super unleaded in the car? Can it damage the cars the same way that LRP can?

Nick
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 8:13pm »

All the manual says is this...

* Unleaded fuel (95 octane)
   Higher octane uleaded fuels (98 octane) can also be used.

So I guess there's no known bad side effects.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #25 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 10:07pm »

All down to cost then......... As for that red diesel stuff, I'll have a few barrels from next wek if anyone wants to send it to me.. Or i can collect  Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #26 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 10:21pm »

In addition, older garages will have a lot more crud at the bottom of their tanks, which won't necessarily be sucked up but then again, maybe it will......  
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder if car petrol underground tanks are the same as those at airports that have petrol engined aircraft.
They have floating suction. That is a arm on a float so that fuel is always drawn from the top and the float never goes right to the bottom.
Petrol is alway stored underground because water falls to the bottom. and Aurter or JP4 is stored above ground, because it rises so fuel is drawn from the bottom.
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:15am »

We have four old underground bunker tanks at the depot that we use for diesel for our lorries. They always have 40 gallon unused at the bottom as the intake pipe is set part way up the tank and the bits/ sludge sit below that.  

Fine in principle until an overenthusiastic tanker driver overfilled one tank and blew his pipes through at the same time. Result cracked tank, water ingress and problems like you wouldn't believe. Only found out after filling a number of lorries....

3 tractor units, 1 18 ton flat and a 7.5 ton hiab all requiring their diesel tanks to be removed and cleaned, and a couple needing new fuel lift pumps as well. Not to mentioned the £4,000 worth of diesel that was u/s.

Needless to say we have a fair sized insurance claim at the moment.

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 6:48pm »

Hi all  Cheesy
Returning back to the posh petrol,  I've just been to my local BP garage in order to get some Ultimate unleaded but crikey they want 91.9p a litre (LOL) and yet only 79.9p for normal unleaded can u Adam & Eve it  Shocked no wounder their profits were high this time 'Richard' Turpins back in town  Angry
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 8:41pm »

But Oddjob, don't you believe them when they say that they don't make any money out of petrol??  

In fact they lose money and only make it as a service to the public at their expense!!
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #30 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:43am »

I've just been to my local BP garage in order to get some Ultimate unleaded but crikey they want 91.9p a litre (LOL) and yet only 79.9p for normal unleaded can u Adam & Eve it   no wounder their profits were high this time 'Richard' Turpins back  
----------------------------------------------------------------
well that 12p difference. much to high.
Our Bp is 5p difference here in Coventry, but I just noted it gone up to 7p today.
All fuel prices seem to change almost daily.
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 5:49pm »

Oddjob and Baz, I think you're being a bit harsh on the fuel company's, they do make a very small amount on petrol and for example make a lot more on a pint of milk than a tank of petrol. This is the reason you will find very few if any petrol only stations around, so many now have supermarkets attached to make money or garage servicing etc.

Most of their profits come from the exploration and drilling sides of the business. If you want to look at the real culprits for the cost of our petrol have a quick gander at the government. We get taxed on tax, and their take is over 75% of the pump price. Running a haulage company I am only too aware of the tax take and how hard it hits us.  

Yes I think the fuel company's will make a very small bit extra out of the ultimate or optimax type products, but at the same time have spent more money testing and inproving the products and then more on each gallon they sell as they have more additives etc. You pays your money and takes your choice, and by many accounts especially optimax is worth the extra in smoother running engines and better mpg. I will agree however some stations do seem to add just a little bit much extra on at times.

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #32 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:28pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2005, 5:49pm, LiverpaulH wrote:
I will agree however some stations do seem to add just a little bit much extra on at times.

There you go Baz another one who agrees LOL  Wink
Seriously I do now what you mean LiverpaulH, but at the end of the day this lack of standardization of prices throughout a retailers pumps by the oil companies hits our wallets hard and so will obviously reflect on them when next we decide to buy our next lot of fuel, so affecting the profitability of the independants running their forecourts. Besides they seem to be doing more than Ok despite their little profit margin Wink
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.