Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 11:16pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« MOT.... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   MOT....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MOT....  (Read 1034 times)
Vulcan

Email

MOT....
« on: Feb 26th, 2005, 12:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Grin Took her in at noon today...

Passed with flying colours, the guy even passed comment on that she was a "really nice motor"

George
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Re: MOT....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Excellent news, George!  Grin

You do realise that you can't sell her now don't you  Wink

Was there anything you were worried might fail it?
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2005, 1:56pm »

Well apart from the gearbox problem taking it's time to engage reverse and the power steering sometimes getting a bit heavy (it's just as if the variable PAS decides it's doing more than 50 when I am at parking speeds and gets less sensitive) I didn't think it had any major problems.
The front wishbone bushes and the front discs and pads were all replaced last month so I knew it was ok at the front end.

Just the same I had the collywobbles when I left it, worse than going to the dentists... Grin

Nice to know it's OK though, the guy said they had a darn good look at it all and it was excellent all round.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 2:09pm »

I know of people that lose sleep over their pending  mot's.
I mean young chaps with a heavy mortgage and children to look after. and all the other expense of todays living.
The trouble is if you run a older car, you can take it to six different MOT testing stations and come away with six differents versions.  
Each tester will have a bee in his bonnet about this and that and the other.
You have to look around for a testing station that is fair and honnest and then stick with him and get some sort of respect and honesty from him.
I found two testers that dont know the law on tyre tread.
Its 1.6 across three quarters of the width. but not the centre.
But one chap throught it was 1.6 across ALL the  width.
I even had one Halford chap dressed in AA overhauls  say it was 2 mm across all the tread.
I change my tyres when they get to 2 mm because its not worth hanging on because I found that when you get to 3mm the end comes very quick. (I don;t no why, buit it certainly does.)
It's not worth apealing because the ministry will always back the tester. The testers are all told to fail anything they are not sure of.
I got that from the Chief AA MOT tester who looks after all the others.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 2:52pm »

I use a dedicated MOT testing centre near me. They aren't a garage and do no repairs so they aren't "touting" for any business. I have been to other places that say such and such is wrong and offer to fix it for a small fee. In that event I say I'll take it away and get my "expert" (a mate with his own garage business) to look at it.  

I once had a Granada fail with overly corroded rear brake pipes but when I took it to my mate he was appalled cos he himself had fitted the rear pipes less than a year previous and he had used stainless steel pipe not the standard copper/nickel type but he said they would outlast the car. His only explanation was that the pipes were maybe a different colour and texture to what was expected and a cursory glance they would look corroded.

The guys at the testing station I use now always impress me with their knowledge so I am always more than happy to have my cars MOT'd by them.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 3:07pm »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 2:09pm, johnv wrote:
I change my tyres when they get to 2 mm because its not worth hanging on because I found that when you get to 3mm the end comes very quick. (I don;t no why, buit it certainly does.)

The lower the tread the smaller the tyre circumference therefore its turning more per mile than it would with full tread therefore its wearing proportionally quicker per mile  

eg.

A new Scorpio tyre 63cm in diameter has a circumference of 198cm

One with 2mm tread left will have a diameter of about 61.5cm (7mm loss from either side of the tyre) and a circumference of about 194cm

therefore we have lost 4cm in circumference from the new to the old tyre which means the old tyre will turn 51 times to the new tyres 50 times which doesnt sound much but over the miles it adds up.

over 1 mile the worn tyre is turning 824 times to the new tyres 808 times  

Some people get bored on a Sunday Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 5:16pm »

Hi to Highlander, now that is clever, i did not stop to consider that. but it makes so much common sense.
Its very much the same, that the larger the wheels the less turns they have to make.
Now those mini-cars. they still make them in a more un-market version,
At 60 mph i shudder to think about how fast those wheels are going compared to my 16 inch wheels.
(yes I know, 60 mph, but I am on about how many turns they are going with those little wheels compared to the 16 inch.
but thanks for the inflo, you have just clinked my head into gear.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 5:21pm »

Hey Highlands, so did you go out with a long tape measure to work all that out. I did not know they made tape measures one mile long.       Still you and me will have some good fun to-night.
Sunday nights a good night on this site, lots of people come on, well after the pubs have closed.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 5:26pm »

I wonder what the average lifetime of a tyre is on a mini just out of interest  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

waders

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 5:36pm »

on Feb 27th, 2005, 5:26pm, Highlander wrote:
I wonder what the average lifetime of a tyre is on a mini just out of interest  Grin

Wow, the words "Mini" and "interest" in the same sentence Tongue Novel.

Tongue Roll Eyes Tongue Roll Eyes Tongue

Ps, George, very pleased for you mate Grin
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27th, 2005, 5:58pm »

i hate small cars, can't stand them, but ok they do lots of miles to the gallon.
I mean just how fast are those wheels going around at 60 mph. say on a mini.(Ok smarts guys, I know 60 MPH, but you know what I mean).
 I changed the alloys on my 1996 2.0 from the 15 inch to the 12 spoke wheels because they are bigger.  
But not only that, because of the following.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1st   larger dia. and wider. from 195 to 225.
therefore more meat on the road. or should I say rubber.
2nd.  So that all the wheels are the same on all cars.

Downside is the sheer cost of a 225 tyre against a 195, but on the 2.0,  I can have budget tyres.
But what I am intending to do is put the older tyres on this car to use them up and therefore I can always have newer tyres on the cosworth or other cars, without any going to waste.
I slowly going to standerlise the tyres for those Mich. ( now I forgot what they called.) those that Baz uses. because in test reports, they come out as quiet, longer lasting and best road grip in the dry.
In the test reports, No tyres, repeat NO tyres came out, as outstanding in the wet.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.