Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 11:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Laser jammers - legal? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Laser jammers - legal?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Laser jammers - legal?  (Read 521 times)
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

Laser jammers - legal?
« on: May 24th, 2005, 6:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Here's one for you...

Radar jammers are illegal to use but in the US you can now buy a laser jammer that does actually work. It reflects the laser signal at a different frequency rendering the signal unreadable to the laser gun.

In the US there is no law (yet) to make them illegal to use as the use of laser is not controlled under the wireless and telegraphy laws that prevent you transmitting radio signals without the correct license.

Does anyone know what the current status is on the use of laser jammers? I know the DFT stated it's intention to make any jamming of speed detection equipment illegal but has this happened yet?

Steve
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Laser jammers - legal?
« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2005, 7:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

steve...
please dont quote me on this,but a few of us were having exactly the same conversation only a week or so ago,i think at the moment (like most "grey" area's concerning law),that it is not illegal to own one,but illegal to use one.......
not the same topic,but the same type of law,it's not illegal to buy/own cannabis seeds,but illegal to plant them.. Huh Huh..

HTH
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2005, 3:39pm »

I think that you would find that the charge would be "Perverting the course of Justice" in as much as you would be disguising your actual speed.  

I'm not convinced that laser jammers would work anyway. Radar jammers work because the beam from the transmitter is relatively wide by the time it reaches the target vehicle and so can be picked up by the reciever which then retransmits the signal after altering the frequency slightly. Lasers have an extremely narrow beam and unless the spot is exactly on the receiver it would not be picked up. That's also why laser detectors really aren't much good either because by the time you've been alerted, you've been nicked!!

Happy to hear other comments or opinions.

Thunderchild
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 28th, 2005, 6:19pm »

Interesting thought - you are not diguising the speed, just making the laser device unable to detrmine the speed.

The laser emitters are placed either side of the number plate which is the favorite spot for the laser gun to be aimed. They are getting quite popular in the USA and people believe they work but I'm not so keen on putting them to the test in the UK cos I quite like my clean license. Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2005, 7:29am »

Theres one very easy answer that prevents all the hassle and guess work. Does it work is it legal etc,  'Stick to the speed limits' that way you will never get be reported for speeding.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.