Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 5:56am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Road toll, Pay as you go! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Road toll, Pay as you go!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Road toll, Pay as you go!  (Read 1853 times)
dart

Email

Road toll, Pay as you go!
« on: Jun 5th, 2005, 10:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The new proposed road tolls!
     You must have seen it on the news.
    Personally,I don't think we possess the technology to monitor 30million cars,vans,trucks,busses and motorbikes,at any given moment,all day,everyday no matter where, in the UK, from space!!
 Bear in mind figures like £1.30 per mile,on busy roads,in the rush hour have been bantered about!
    what do you think Undecided
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Road toll, Pay as you go!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 11:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think the sooner I b****r off to France the better...this country is becoming a joke. Everything the government comes up with has to do with how much money they can screw out of businesses and the working man while continuing to hand out money to those who don't want to work for it. Houses for 16 year olds with children etc. I had a guy working for me and he had done for 7 years. In January this year he came in and said he was leaving and was going on benefits to claim incapacity benefit due to his alcohol and smoking problem!! His girlfriend also packed her job in. To this day they are now living off benefits in a house paid for by you and me, spending our money on cheap fags and beer after giving up a job that paid him £1200 in his hand every month!!

Stop the benefits culture by stopping benefits. It can't be any simpler than that. Get everyone to re apply and get those bloody ID cards in to stop multiple claims.....Oh and next time....don't vote Labour!!

As for the road tolls, it is only putting money into Browns back pocket so they can add some more money into their fat pension funds and spent nothing on the day to day maintenance of the roads. How many times have you had your suspension battered by driving through pothole Britain?

Tell ya....France, Spain or anywhere other than here is the future. I vote we all b****r off and leave the politicians to sort out paying benefits when no one is paying tax...should be fun!!

Baz
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 5th, 2005, 11:47pm »

See ya point Baz! Shocked

I detect a slight Bee in ya bonnet? Lips Sealed Grin

But stop mincing your words and say what you mean! Grin Grin
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 2:43am »

JEEZ! What next,special duty on Bread?

Its as I have suspected for a long time,the Government has cottoned on to a way to raise cash. I dont mean JUST the road toll idea, anything that is a problem then tax it out of existence,problem gone.
Considering thier Working class/Union roots they seem to have done a complete 180 on us.

Adding road and congestion charges hits the hard up the  most,not to mention the problems it will create for  business-they will simply pass on the charges to the consumer. Business users and the well of will be able to cruise at their leisure.  
 I NOTICE NO MENTION WAS MADE OF THIS BEFORE THE BLOODY ELECTION!

It would be interesting to see members ideas regarding a usefull and sensible way to protest about this idea.

G.Brown can go back to scotland and stay there.

eddie

IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:48am »

Good point...why do we have so many scottish MP's down here and yet I don't recall one English member in the Scottish Parliament!
IP Logged
Steve_S

1997 scorpio ultima 2.9 24v lpg

stevexxxuk2001  
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 2:28pm »

Big Brother  

1984 is coming, its just a little late
IP Logged

Steve S
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 9:32pm »

Hot News from the Treasury++++++++++++++++++++++

Rumour has it that there is a deck chair duty collection pilot at Blackpool next year, transponder fitted and the deckchair attendents will be able to monitor you from outer space, unless you are sitting under one of those aluminium umbrellas, bill it straight back to you at home.

After the pilot the plan is to tax garden chairs and recliners and rumour has it a greenhouse tax.  

Now those of you that have barbeques is it gas or charcoal, cos thats going to trigger a different tarif?

Allegedly Gordon is an islander and apparently they are a bit more determined than most......unless his anti fun chip goes faulty
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 11:13pm »

I did hear tell that all of the GPRS systems that operate in the UK an probably Europe rely totally on the USA defense satellite network for their tracking system. How will they sell this one to the environmentalists, anti US types, Muslims, and just about anyone else if this is the case. Would you like the Yanks to know where you are everytime you go out in your car??

But of course they are leaving the way open for two possible outcomes to all this:

First, that the implimentation of a system that is able to track 20+ million cars at any given time will fail, the government then says they have tried to do things another way, apologises then bangs up fuel duty instead..... all the local councils continue to charge a "congestion" charge as well so the motorist gets done over twice

or secondly, the system is a glowing success and everyone then pays £1.34 a mile (because you know that will be the case) apart from some bloke with a rabbit farm in Powys who pays 2p a mile. Then the government (after reducing fuel duty and road tax instead of abolishing it) start to slowly and stealthily, put up duty and fuel tax again to pay for....green issues, makeovers for teenage mothers and public transport/roads so the motorist gets done over twice.

You can see where I'm going here? the motorist will never win, the rabbit farmer in Powys will not be allowed to be better off because he is a motorist, and as such is a legitimate target for the taxman.

Of course the Scottish Parliament will not allow it, nor will the Welsh assembly and we in England will carry the can....and the cost for everyone. Anyone else for France? we can set up Le Scorpio website!!

Believe it or not, I am a proud Englishman who is disgusted by what is happening to my country. Past governments have allowed too many lilly livered liberal types to convince the powers that be that being soft on criminals is good, that giving money to any old foreigner who comes here for an easy ride is preferable to allowing our pensioners who fought for the country a decent standard of living in their twilight years, that being a soft touch to everyone who doesn't want to work will be OK because the people are now so used to the crazy things we see in the papers, that they don't care anymore.  

Will someone please stop this now because I want to get off!!!!

Baz
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 12:06am »

Firstly; I do not like the idea of this country being taken advantage of,by anyone!
Secondly; I do not like the idea of peoples freedom being dictated using money (ability to pay) as a weapon!
for green issues or any other,that will never answer any problem.
Thirdly;This system is used in the US and Japan to great effect and has been for many years,and they pay less vehicle related tax than we do!
Fouthly;  I'm English and proud of it!   and no govenment,present or future,is going to make me move!
   They will have to move!I'll still be here.

But I'm sick of traffic jams!
    what is the answer? Huh
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 5:13am »

The answer seems to be get Baz elected Prime minister with a few of us to help him !!!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 8:58am »

Dart,

this system might well have been used effectively in USA and Japan, but those countries are car loving countries. Petrol is cheap (although I know it is rising recently) they have lanes wide enough to land jumbo jets on side by side, not like here where everything is done to restrict the driver; speed restrictions, cameras, tolls, speed bumps and total lack of maintenance of roads resulting in potholes that you could hide a bus in! Did you read recently that prescot had rejected the idea of getting rid of his Jags and having one of those Prius cars like all the stars in America do? one rule for the Labour government while trying to tax the rest of us onto a non-existent transport system. Surely if there was a viable alternative to driving to work, a lot of people would do it. I live in Warrington, but have worked a lot in London, Manchester etc and just about all of the major cities have some kind of decent bus/tram/rail network. In comparrisson, it is the rest of the country, the smaller towns that have 20 buses to cope with all of the rush hour requirements. If everyone made a stand and said "OK, lets all get the bus for a week" the whole country would grind to a halt with riots as people tried to get onto the public transport system!!

Maybe that should be the next protest, forget about blockading fuel depots and the like, because the cops only get involved as obstruction is technically illegal (although they got to benefit when the fuel prices went down a tad...maybe they should be charged more!! Wink. What we should do is all leave the cars at home for a week and have a planned mass use of public transport!! nobody would get to work and maybe then someone might realise that the only way is to build a transport ystem before they tax us out of the cars otherwise the country will be in a bigger jam than it is now; no one can afford to drive anywhere at normal times and the buses can't cope with the extra people!

That's my opinion anyway!

I too am proud to be English but if I am being denied my pleasures in life, why shouldn't I move to a European partner who doesn't seem to agree to everything Brussels spouts? I hardly drink, I gave up smoking so my car is my only indulgence. Why should I drive a Yaris while that fat ships waiter Prescott drives round in a Jag....that I'm paying for anyway??
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 1:44pm »

If the government gets its own way before you know it the window tax will be back, and at £1.30 a mile at peak time it would cost me what, £143 every friday after work when i go see my mrs-to-be who currently lives 110 miles away! i'd prefer the £165 (i think it is) road tax and rip off pump prices than pay up. I think i may invest in a plane and avoid the charge and traffic jams altogether...
Matt
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 6:48pm »

i agree with most of what Baz says ,,,,,,,I still can't work out why people still vote  Labour everything that mans says is a lie ,,,i know the others are not much better but the people who voted for him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well best not say too much about that  
   also it would cost me £402 every fortnight to see my kids ,,,,i pay the CSA £215 a month (i know its not as much as some )have a new partner and her 2 kids and only bring home £350 a week ,,,who is going to tell my kids one is 8 the other is 5 that i most probably only be able to see them once every 3 months  
     Lee
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 7th, 2005, 7:03pm »

Eventually, the public will wise up to what is happening in this country...how we are squandering all the tax income on stupid non deserving cases like a ridiculously overpriced national stadium in which we can buy overpriced tickets to watch overpaid numptys kick a ball around. How we can continue to spend large sums of money on jobs for the boys and retirements at 48 for coppers. It won't be the small minority of the population that bothered to vote though, it will be the lot that never bothered, the ones who are so pigged off with the whole political game that they can't find anyone worth voting for. Those are the ones to watch!
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 5:10am »

Cardiff local authority are jumping on the bandwagon and considering 'city centre access charges'.
The reason given is congestion!
The only time I ever see congextion is after an international Rugby match or a major league footy match.
Of course the roads are chock a block for 2 hours in the morning and likewise in the late afternoon, i.e. The dreaded rush hour! The buses are also rammed to the roof at these times.
Many people who work in Cardiff travel many miles from 'The Valleys',public transport is not an option.
It would appear the answer lies somewhere else!

This is a city where a MAJOR Hospital charges medical staff to park thier cars in the hospital grounds/car parks.
Staff,some of , if coming to work by public transport would need 2 to 3 hours travelling time to get to work!

The most common sense answer is to gradually increase the forms of public transport and provide incentives,not disincentives.

Sounds like the easy end of the stick is being grasped.

The Money end.

eddie
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 7:54am »

The local council here in Warrington are even considering it, yet at the same time, they are granting permission for the building of hundreds of new houses all over the outskirts of town, each with garages and so adding to the problem even more. Our council doesn't even discourage the use of cars by it's staff because it even gives them free parking in the local multistorey (which is being rebuilt at the moment so it is a big talking point as they now have less places to park!!)

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 8:04am »

Under the current European legislation they have to provide parking spaces for the staff....Strange but true.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Boblavens

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 1:46pm »

Matt
I've got news for you the window tax is Bac, cos when you put double glazing in yourself you are supposed to pay the council 100 pounds so they can say wether your new windiws meet the new isulation and heat transfer requirements. Instead of banning firms from making and importing substandard C**p.

Bob
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 10:29pm »

How about,They abolish road tax and in it's place put a set levy on petrol to replace it? Then the more miles you do,the more you pay? Also,on any motorway,if you have 1 person in the car you can only use the inside lane!two people,up to the middle lane,Three or more, the fast lane?(sorry, the overtaking lane Grin) By the way this would allow a reduction in the fuel tax t'boot!and we would'nt all have to get on buses!  not bad heh! Wink
  Well,it beats moaning about it(Well,nearly)
 That's my best try at an answer to the problem!
    I hope one of you can come up with better and I'll vote for you,even Baz Grin Grin Grin

the honourable Baz,PM  Grin Grin Wink
IP Logged
dart

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jun 8th, 2005, 10:36pm »

Ho and also Bob!
  If you want to change any more than a socket or ceiling rose in your own house,by law,it has to be checked by or fitted by an authirised electrician since the end of Jan this year! ??  
    strange but true.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.