Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ebay Stress! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   ebay Stress!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ebay Stress!  (Read 1184 times)
DJWerkz

Email

ebay Stress!
« on: Dec 14th, 2005, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Had a real dodgy character to deal with on ebay these past few weeks.  It started with me selling my complete Sony Playstation 2 system, complete with games and accessories.

Bidding seemed to go well but it was trying to get the funds from the buyer that initially aroused suspicion.  My ad clearly stated that payment must be received within seven days and made 'before' any arrangements for collection (item was listed for pick-up only).

The buyer in this case said he had contacts in my area that would collect the goods but as soon as the auction finished he said that was not the case !

He asked if I would drive 50 miles to meet him as he would be coming from Colchester, Essex.  I said no, but would drive 20 miles.

At the eleventh he telephoned to say that he had paid the funds via PayPal and was on his way to collect them.  I checked PayPal and it turns out he did not make a direct payment as instructed but used an e-cheque which would take a further 10 days to clear!

I checked his contact details on ebay and he had removed his contact telephone number so I was now not able to reach him by phone (we have caller display and he had also witheld his number when calling me).

Fortunately he called en-route and I was able to tell him he could not have the goods.

Last week he came to collect the goods from my house and did not follow my instructions yet again regarding this arrangement so I was not around to meet him.  He made no effort to check the goods and just left very quickly (my wife said he seemed quite strange).

I sent him a message highlighting how concerned I was about his whole behavious and he responds with 'the goods are faulty, I want a full refund'!!!!!!!!!!

NoNo

The goods were in perfect working order and after receiving a little more info from him he reports that on his first use the system worked fine, on the second use when pressing the DVD tray eject button it blew his circuit breaker for his house ring main.  On the third use it worked fine again.

From my own understanding of electronics and this particular device and from talking with other experts, we all agree that it is near impossible for the PS2 to trip the house ring main from just the activation of the DVD tray.  Everyone, including myself thinks that there is either some kind of user fault, problem with his ring main, or coincidental fault with some other faulty device in his house.

Now PayPal have seized the funds back because he has filed for a refund saying goods are faulty.  Now having to await their investigation.

Why am i writing all this, just really because at this time of year it seems that many people may be trading online for bargains and presents so be aware, these trades do not always run smoothly.

I have also contacted Sony's PS2 Technical Support line for a history analysis of PS2 faults and verification of the technical functionality of the unit.
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

Re: ebay Stress!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 10:42am »

Sony confirmed that for a circuit breaker to trip from the activation of the DVD tray is impossible.  Circuit breaker would be tripped by power spike and as the unit is already on, pressing the eject button creates no power spike.  There is no history on file with Sony of this type of faulty ever occuring either.
Unit is also protected by internal quick-blow fuse, which would blow first should there be any internal fault with the power supply.
Buyer is trying to pull a fast one!  @
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sad to hear about that, well at least we don't have e-bay in Romania  Tongue, we got other stuff ........but we don't use cards or other banking payments...it's all about face to face contact and cash.

And about that PS2, it's impossible by pushing the eject button to brake the house fuse.....it's a lie or a coincidence
IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
nuttyscorp

1998 (R)  2.3 ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 12:49pm »

this guy sounds like the complete rectum to me, some people just dont have a clue......

out of curiosity, what was his feedback score?

Russ
IP Logged

project car :- "84" mk2 granada 2.8i ghia X TURBO (rs 500 box)
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 1:53pm »

I've heard a similar story - turned out the guy wanted a refund in cash because he had used a highjacked paypal account to pay, but a refund to the paypal account would be no good to him!

Good luck!

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 2:54pm »

Watch you dont get a different (faulty) PS2 back
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

hepburn

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 6:31pm »

a very cautionary tale indeed!    

Look, the bottom line here is if you're going to rip people off on eBay always make sure you select the dumbest clueless customers or sellars going!!  hehe

pn a more serious note, good luck with this.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2005, 9:07pm »

I always mark any goods I sell inside with a permanent marker or similar or take note of the serial numbers. There are many people out there who are after a quick steal or a way of replacing their faulty goods.

Paypal is good for buyers but is truly a nightmare for sellers when the buyer decides to claw back money on a faulty goods claim.

Have you tried posting to the community on EBay? you may get a few more ideas there. Don't count on EBay or paypal to help though....

Baz
IP Logged
dexix

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 4:29pm »

If you need me to pay him a visit I live in colchester and would gladly pass on any message you may have for him  Wink - turning people over through ebay really ticks me off and making it a scorpio owner as well oversteps the mark in a big way.
IP Logged
barrie

24V The only way to fly

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 7:15pm »

Hi, Surely he will be able to claim through his household insurance for the damage done to the ps2. Have you got any email with him stating that when he tried it worked fine? if you have you ill need to keep them and send them to  
Ebay disputes as well as Paypal.
He had every oportunity to try the goods before buying them and second hand goods are sold without guarantee.  
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 9:07pm »

This is the reason alot of people don't like paypal, it's the seller who suffer's & also paypal takes money from you account with out you saying they can  Sad
I use it but never keep more than £20 balance in there.

These people do it for a laugh I reckon, take ages to sort out as well Angry
IP Logged

Dave
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 12:45am »

on Dec 15th, 2005, 7:15pm, barrie wrote:
Hi, Surely he will be able to claim through his household insurance for the damage done to the ps2. Have you got any email with him stating that when he tried it worked fine? if you have you ill need to keep them and send them to  
Ebay disputes as well as Paypal.
He had every oportunity to try the goods before buying them and second hand goods are sold without guarantee.  

Yes got a record of all the messages back and forth through the ebay messaging system, he states:

Unit worked fine on the first use, on the second use when the unit powered up it blew the house ring main circuit breaker when he pressed the 'eject' button, then on the third use it worked fine again.

Now, you and me know he is talking out of the lower, smelly hole but it's all a matter of whether Paypal see it that way.
IP Logged
barrie

24V The only way to fly

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 2:43am »

That's why i don't sell much on Ebay anymore
its a shame because its only a few people  that abuse it
I have had a couple of times where buyers have said they had not received items and made claim backs and you know that they have had the item
you need to respond to the claim back and send them copies of the responses from the buyer
You will win the dispute and if he paid by credit card they will refund you  

All the best Barrie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.