Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:36pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Overmoderation »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Overmoderation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Overmoderation  (Read 1506 times)
Sian_RK

Email

Overmoderation
« on: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:35am »

Having already had a run in with a moderator/admin over the use of the word "Halfrauds" to describe Halfords - a commonly used description of a firm which often uses false advertising (where can you get a manifold stud for a Jaguar XJS on a Sunday? Not Halfords, that's for sure, they don't even carry common alternators as stock) - I now find that my post about the dilemma of breaking, repairing or just scrapping a Scorpio that has failed the MOT would appear to have been deleted with no private message to indicate this, no indication of why.

This overmoderation has two effects: One, I haven't been particularly active on here, and two, if I do decide to repair and MOT the Scorpio, there's one place I am NOT paying to advertise it - especially since the board is clearly carefully designed to make people pay for advertising a car regardless of state and advert type required. Every other enthusiast forum I have used - including the Mazda RX8 ones - offer a less draconian solution, such as advertising being available for paid members of the owners club, or just being available, period.

The board lacks a Scorpio-related general chat section, so the Problems section appeared to be the most appropriate place to help come to a decision as to what to do with the car, and got a sensible response, I felt.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Overmoderation
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 10:40am »

POST has NOT been deleted just MOVED to the correct topic  

here!
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1142840995

This forum is owned and funded privately supported by some very well received anonymus contributions from some of the members.

If you do not like the way we moderate and run the forum the answer is in your own hands.

Your use of the word " FRAUD" in place of FORD in context is and was as far as we are concerned unacceptable .
Your MODERATION was not made public by us and was quite privately done.

I draw your attention to this http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=register
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Sian_RK

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 11:05am »

I was not giving advice to others; hence I didn't feel that was the appropriate forum for the post. Had you informed me that the post was moved, this wouldn't have arisen. I had looked in the off-topic, parts for sale sections, which I thought would have been likely destinations for the post.

This is a drawback of the forum software used, and not of moderation, so I apologise for my reaction. Every other forum application I have used displays a placeholder indicating that the post has been moved, but with a lack of information, I assumed that I had somehow offended someone.

Regardless of whether the moderation of the Halfrauds post was done in private or public, it was overzealous and very strongly argued as libellous, which it quite simply isn't. I would prefer that the moderation had been public in the first place; a nice edit on the posts saying "We feel the use of Halfrauds in this context is libellous" would have been far more useful to other forum users.

Most forums are owned and run privately. I run several myself.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2006, 2:19pm »

I/we do not have to inform you if we move a post or delete it .
As I said if you are not happy with this forum or the way we run it delete yourself.

This matter will not be discussed  anymore.
IP Logged

leftofcentre

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 1:13am »

Personally i think this Forum is/has been most excellent.  Where else could one get all the info on here for FREE. And what info there is indeed.

I have seen other Forums + have to say a big well done to the Admin on here for filtering out the tittle-tattle and nonsense most of the other forum sites contain.

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 6:43am »

Absolutely!! and long may it stay that way.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 6:43am »

Can I make a suggestion for the forum though?  
Mind you, it has nothing to do with moderating.  

Its for places like the 'Problems' section. Things can be pretty fast moving there. In a day or so, a problem posted can disappear off onto page 2, then page 3, etc. It can make things tricky to find again after a week or so if its not kept on top.
How about if it was sub-divided? You know, into maybe Electrical Problems, Suspension, Bodywork, etc, etc..?

Just a thought.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 6:49am »

There is always the "search facilty" which works well, but I appreciate the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, but personally I think it would make even MORE work for the Admin staff!
We will look into the possibility.
IP Logged

Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 7:33am »

Good idea Paul - I would guess the amount of posts will increase due to the age of the car and the problems that brings!

The Scorpio is more likely to be getting into the hands of people who can now turn to the net!  

Snoopy I'm sure there are a couple of long standing members who would be happy to help out on the Admin side of thing if Eric, Pete, Steve and yourself need help!

Dave
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 10:58am »

Just on that point, a lot of very useful threads with ideas/ thoughts and solutions are "lost" in the depths as the pages move on, would it be possible to move threads such as these to their own area or put a sticky on them?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 12:03pm »

As a community and a bank of shared experience then the site is a critical place to be if you intend to run a Scorp for any length of time.

Rules are rules and when somebody posts through a red mist, sensible moderation can save a whole lot of pain at a later stage.

I guess if people do not like that they can vote with their feet or think a bit before posting.

The idea of splitting the problems section down into subsets like electrical, mechanical and body might make some sense and at a personal level would be helpful.

However we already get some confusion between the advice and problems sections and often find basically the same problem running live in both, sometimes three or four running simultaneously (wet weather and electrical problems Wink Grin)  

Keep up the good work folks!

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 9:46pm »

You do have to watch with Snoopy, he is getting on a bit and it might not be too long before he hangs up the keys to the Scorpio and goes out and buys a sensible "senior" car like a fiesta!!

Steve is in Las Vegas most of the time buying cheap petrol (Gas) and probably gambling a bit and Eric pops in now and again when no one is looking, leaves a message on the OBD board and scarpers!!  

I do like the sub division of categorys though, most forums are based like that; the galaxy one and the mondeo ones spring to mind

Baz
IP Logged
bootiful-scorpios

ex     2.9 24v

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 10:22pm »

i think this site is very gd , eric you hve done well with the site, when i got the scorpe it had no hand book , and at first i thought that will be ok ill soon learn had loads of granada s lol, the scorp is just so diffrent , it  is so nice to know there are people close buy that can give advise, and all the members are nice too, i think the site is nice how it is  Roll Eyes sally
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.