Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« man or auto »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   man or auto
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: man or auto  (Read 1256 times)
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

man or auto
« on: Apr 13th, 2006, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

did the latest 24v  scorpio,s only come in auto. I,ve never seen a manual one. If so why?
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: man or auto
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 10:39am »

Neil,

Ford did not put a manual 24v Scorp in the 95 on range into production.  A number of people have started threads about converting over to a manual, but technically and electronically the mountain is to big.  

(Unless somebody finally went and did it Grin )

Only us poor plebs with weedy smaller engines (and diesels  Grin ) got the choice.

Most manual owners will tell you the MT75 is pretty clunky/graunchy so you are not missing anything.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 11:59pm »

The advantages of auto become greater in proportion to the power under your pedal.

Now there's a statement to start off a lively debate.

Bren
IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 1:18am »

I have had autos for ages now and have a 20 year old son who is learning to drive in an auto and has bought an auto Astra. My wife drives a new megane (shake that ass) cabrio that is an auto. I personally cannot understand why anyone would want to drive a manual car....all that pressing pedals and waggling sticks about........just push the button, move it down 3 clicks and press the pedal on the right to go. The one on the left stops you

Simple!!
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 7:29am »

Agree
Loads of people swear by manual boxes claiming they have control of the car in having one.
But these days, auto boxes are much better than they ever used to be.
The auto box on the Scorpio is fantastic when its working nice. And if you use it right, you still have control.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 12:04pm »

To be honest I drove the Scorpio for 3 years and had to change and bought a 2003 tdci Mondeo and I liked the auto box in loads of ways, loved the kick down and the roar of the engine, you just knew you where pumping loads of fuel into the cylinders.  

1 when the car was cold I found the box was holding the Scorpio back (something to do with the oil thickness or something) wasn’t to amused by the non-responsiveness of that. By the time it warmed up for me I was usually at the destination.

2 When travelling behind traffic at around 45-50mph the box was forever changing up and down so press the little green button and stay in third, revving unnecessarily burning up expensive fuel. They should have had an auto override to keep it in top gear so you could actually do 40mph in top gear; the engine was defiantly powerful enough to cope with that.

3 I like manual because I choose what gear the car is in, at 40mph I’m in 5th gear and the car has no problem with that, being ultra efficient thrown into the bargain. (But I don’t like the clutch as the left leg can get tired in heavy traffic.)

The best box would give you the delights of both worlds, Auto when your in lazy mode and don’t care and manual when you want all the control but without the dreaded clutch to wrorry about.

I know,
BMW, VW and loads of other car manufactures have come up with this.

IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 3:36pm »

I find that driving in sports mode all the time tends to result in fewer gear changes as the box doesn't cahnge at lower revs.

Couldn't do with a waggly stick now though, despite the cost of fuel
IP Logged
Octavian_P

octavian1406@yahoo.com  
View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 8:10am »

on Apr 14th, 2006, 12:04pm, JohnJ wrote:

The best box would give you the delights of both worlds, Auto when your in lazy mode and don’t care and manual when you want all the control but without the dreaded clutch to wrorry about.

I know,
BMW, VW and loads of other car manufactures have come up with this.

Ford produces now a box called dura-shift with 5 speed. It's hybrid, half manual half auto. It has a selector with D,N,R and a manual position for it. In the manual mode the shifter moves up one click and down a click, just like haveing + / - . It's pretty cool, in some cases it eaven has paddles under the steering wheel like F1 cars.  

PS: i saw this box on a new Fiesta ST that had a 2000 cmc engine and 140+ horses  Shocked

IP Logged

2.0 16V Ultima|2.3 16V Ghia|2.9 24V Cosworth Ghia
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 1:09pm »

I seem to remember Martyn Rowe mentioning at Harewood that there is a semi automatic version of the MT75 called the MT75E that is fitted to some versions of the Transit I wonder whetehr that might make a difference.

I wonder if that would retrofit to a manual scorp Smiley
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 1:12pm »

And here is a link that talks about DuraShift

http://www.archersofashby.co.uk/Durashift/durashift_5.htm
IP Logged

Baz

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:26pm »

Karens new megane cabrio has a semi auto type box. Very similar to the one on the page geoff shows.

Not tried it yet, but you can change gear almost like a manual if you want to.....can't see the point of getting an auto and then turning that malarky on though!
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 9:19pm »

Interesting point Barry, Ford Seat and VW fitted a tiptronic box on the Galaxy/ Alhambra/ Sharan and I guess that most people just leave it in Auto mode.

Thinking back to my mk3 I used to value being able to concentrate on the road ahead and let the box take care of itself, on reflection that is the biggest thing I miss on my Scorp, but the cruise control softens the blow Grin
IP Logged

craig

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16th, 2006, 8:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

again,auto's any day of the week,the auto boxes now a days are a lot more reliable than ever if looked after,amanda passed her test in an auto as well,had to do it quickly,so that was the easiest option,and as we will have an auto "indefinately" job done.....
i know there are cars out there with unreliable auto boxes,but i think he majority are fine,10 years ago auto's were frowned upon,but now most new cars have the auto/tiptronic (or whatever) option,and as barry said,who in this day and age would weant to drive a manual anyway... Huh
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 12:30am »

Must admit that driving autos has spoiled me and I actually prefer them to manual.  I don't think you can beat the smoothness of an auto and of course they're great around town.

That's an interesting point though - why is it the big motorway cruisers that tend to be automatics, and the small city runabouts that are manuals?!

For motorway driving I'd have a manual - no point wasting fuel driving a hydraulic pump and being in a compromised gear ratio when you could easily drive a hundred miles and not change gear!  For anything other than motorway I'd have an auto...

Darren
IP Logged
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 11:00am »

Oh those were the days. (Yukk) Who else had a Volvo 3 series with the Daf auto ****box in it?  

The not so fond memories of looking in the mirror and seeing a load of rubber as the belts disintegrated, the struggle to replace the belts on your back trying to push the axle back with your feet, climbing over hundreds of scrappers to find half decent belts because new ones took weeks to get hold of.

But I still love my autos, apart from what I drive for work - coaches - give me manual every day.  
IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 8:59am »

I'm a manual owner and I have to say its one of the nicer gear boxes I've used...although anything is better than a FIAT (Fix It Again Tony) Cheesy

Pete
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 8:08pm »

The Rover PG-1 gearbox is lovely for quick, accurate changes.  Unfortunately the diff. bearings are a weak point - yes, I speak from experience...  Sad

Darren
IP Logged
trogg

the scorpio king

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:34pm »

i like the idea of having a hybrid box it apeals to me to drive auto through rush hour in our town then when the occasion arises use it as a manual.
IP Logged

trogg
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23rd, 2006, 10:23pm »

Bren

Volvo got the technology from DAF (Variomatic)

Ford used a similar variant that they developed for the Fiesta

Allegedly could go as fast in reverse as in forward.

Geoff
IP Logged

sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Apr 24th, 2006, 11:46pm »

Though neither were very useful in the service bay!  Tongue (the CTX gearbox had a reputation for unreliability).

Darren
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.