Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« PC problems, can't get into safe mode? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   PC problems, can't get into safe mode?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PC problems, can't get into safe mode?  (Read 883 times)
Mickey_2.9

Up and running again ! Love it !

View Profile

PC problems, can't get into safe mode?
« on: May 24th, 2006, 8:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone help me please?  

My pc has gone wrong It runs XP Professional but after I enter user name password it goes to desk top and then freezes.  

I want to go onto safe mode so I start the machine up and then start tapping the F8 key, I then get a menu and from that I choose safe mode and enter. The next page says to select the operating system using the up and down keys, well it only has Microsoft Windows XP Professional so I press enter. The screen now shows a lot of writing and then into a safe mode page with a Admitrators icon, I click this but the computer then continues to start up the normal way and goes to the XP users menu.

Whats going on?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: PC problems, can't get into safe mode?
« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:13pm »

hi there

why do you want to go into 'safe mode'? have you added any hardware?

can you get it to boot to the window opening screen? if so, hold the power on botton in until it switches off. then switch it back on. it should (hopefully) give you an option to start with the last working settings.

hth (i hope) Smiley
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:29pm »

on May 24th, 2006, 9:13pm, scorpio_man wrote:
hi there

why do you want to go into 'safe mode'? have you added any hardware?

can you get it to boot to the window opening screen? if so, hold the power on botton in until it switches off. then switch it back on. it should (hopefully) give you an option to start with the last working settings.

hth (i hope) Smiley

Hello mate, I want to go into safe mode to see if I can reset the pc to previous settings and also down load a patch that I have down loaded onto a floppy using my laptop to hopefully get internet conection. I don't know what has happend to the machine but its not happy and nor am I  Sad

I have tried what you said but it just boots up as normal. Its when the XP desk top comes up that the system refuses to do anything Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:47pm »

hi there

Quote:
can you get it to boot to the window opening screen?

i mean the windows sign (black background).  

do you have a windows disc? you could change your bios to boot from the disc, then do a repair/install.
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:53pm »

on May 24th, 2006, 9:47pm, scorpio_man wrote:
hi there

i mean the windows sign (black background).  

do you have a windows disc? you could change your bios to boot from the disc, then do a repair/install.

No I don't have a disc, I will probably have to get the guy who built the pc for me to have a look but I want to try and do somthing myself, I just couldent understand why I couldent get it to run in safe mode?

Black screen ? you mean when it first starts up.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:02pm »

hi there

yes, just as it starts (just after the bios/hard drive info).

if you force it off then, it should give you options when you restart it.

hth
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:02pm »

Hi Mike

When you bring up the F8 menu to load into safe mode, one of the options there should be an option there to load last known working version. Have you tried that?
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:10pm »

on May 24th, 2006, 10:02pm, Mummra wrote:
Hi Mike

When you bring up the F8 menu to load into safe mode, one of the options there should be an option there to load last known working version. Have you tried that?

Yes Dave I did try that and the same thing happend, it went on to open up XP as normal and the users menu came up. I signed in to see if maybe it did run in safe mode from there but it did not.
IP Logged
Mummra

Mummra-the-ever -living

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:25pm »

you may be able to restore the registry to a previous version if you have a boot disk, which will boot to a dos prompt. I haven't tried it this way, I have only done it with the XP disk using the recovery console.
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:28pm »

Try 'safe mode with command prompt' and type 'REG /ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashContron /v AutoReboot /t REG_DWORD /d 0' when you get to the prompt.

This should turn off automatic reboot on crash. Perhaps this can atleast help you find the error.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:41pm »

on May 24th, 2006, 10:28pm, Kjetil S wrote:
Try 'safe mode with command prompt' and type 'REG /ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashContron /v AutoReboot /t REG_DWORD /d 0' when you get to the prompt.

This should turn off automatic reboot on crash. Perhaps this can atleast help you find the error.

Hi there, I have just tried that but when I get to the command page I cannot move the highlighted line? it is on "Microsoft Windows XP professional"  At the bottom of the page it says "safe Mode with Command Prompt" ( this is in blue writing ) but I cannot high light it and then hit enter. Maybe I am not doing it incorrectly?
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2006, 11:18pm »

this could be the menu where you select which install you wish to log on to. what happens if you press return with "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" selected?

edit typo
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 25th, 2006, 10:53pm »

If it still hangs after login, even in safe mode then try restarting and immediately after login hold down the [SHIFT] key - this should prevent Windows from loading any programs that would automatically run.  If it then works fine you can click on Start, Run and then type 'msconfig' into the box and press [ENTER].  You'll then be able to control which programs start up with Windows.

If the above doesn't work then you should start Windows in "last known good config" mode.  This is on the same list as safe mode when you start the computer.  If even that doesn't work then Windows is seriously shafted or you've changed hardware or a BIOS setting which you'll need to undo!

Incidentally, if you do get into safe mode then it should ask if you if you want to run system restore.  You could try this as an alternative, especially if you know you've recently installed something or had a virus.

Darren
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 27th, 2006, 12:38am »

on May 24th, 2006, 11:18pm, Kjetil S wrote:
this could be the menu where you select which install you wish to log on to. what happens if you press return with "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" selected?

edit typo

It starts loading in safe mode and then 2 of the user icons appear on the screen in large pixel form but after a split second these disapperar and the computer loads up as normal and the xp user menu is shown?
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 27th, 2006, 12:40am »

on May 25th, 2006, 10:53pm, sector-9 wrote:
If it still hangs after login, even in safe mode then try restarting and immediately after login hold down the [SHIFT] key - this should prevent Windows from loading any programs that would automatically run.  If it then works fine you can click on Start, Run and then type 'msconfig' into the box and press [ENTER].  You'll then be able to control which programs start up with Windows.

If the above doesn't work then you should start Windows in "last known good config" mode.  This is on the same list as safe mode when you start the computer.  If even that doesn't work then Windows is seriously shafted or you've changed hardware or a BIOS setting which you'll need to undo!

Incidentally, if you do get into safe mode then it should ask if you if you want to run system restore.  You could try this as an alternative, especially if you know you've recently installed something or had a virus.

Darren

Cheers for that Darren, still no joy. As soon as the desk top is up it seems to freeze and i can't even click the start button.
IP Logged
Mickey_2.9

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 27th, 2006, 12:43am »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Computer still not working so I will have to take it over to my mates. He is the guy who built it so hopefully will know what to do. At least I have my cheep as chips £40 Toshiba lap top to use  GrinMike.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.