Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:18pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« vehicle tax...... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   vehicle tax......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: vehicle tax......  (Read 976 times)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

vehicle tax......
« on: Jun 15th, 2006, 10:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

isnt it about time this unfair over priced system was abolished?

before i owned the scorpio i had an old peugeot 205 diesel, it was worth no more than 100 quid, but, was mechanically sound, gave low emission results, returned a minimum of 40mpg, and had a light kerb weight. but, because the engine size was about 1780cc it meant i paid the same road tax as someone who owns a 2 tonne bentley (more weight more road damage) that returns 15mpg, kicks out greenhouse gas through the air con, uses probably 3 or 4 times the amount of oil in the tyre manufacture etc etc. not that i have anything against bentleys, i love em, but the tax is an unfair system.
why not put it on fuel; the more miles you do, the more tax you pay, if you own a gas guzzler, the more you pay. if you dont use your vehicle for a few months, you pay no tax, none of this SORN bollox.
but of course the present system works in the governments favour whoever the government is.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: vehicle tax......
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 2:56am »

NoNoTax is already on fuel!!  If you use more fuel...ergo....you pay more tax.
For a while now large engine cars have been subject to higher road tax than smaller engines. And in the recent budget it changed again. All cars registered from 2001 onwards are now charged different road tax rates as they have their emmission rating on the V5.
For example...I had a 2001 Mondeo 2.0 zetec & it cost me £106 for 6 months road tax when I renewed it in April. I also renewed the tax on my 1998, 2.3 Scorpio at the same time & it cost me £96.
The reason the Scorpio is cheaper is because the V5 doesn't state the emmission rating, so the government have no idea how much pollution it chucks out, but it's still more expensive that a 1.3 Fiesta.
Also I think that SORN is a good idea. How does the DVLA know that you are not using your car for a few months, they aren't psychic. You are only informing them that you intend not to use your vehicle for a while. It doesn't cost anything!
Besides, most people that drive around with no road tax probably don't have an MOT either, or insurance, or proof of ownership & possibly not even a driving licence!!
If you're an honest person, like me, then to SORN your vehicle shouldn't be an issue. I do it every winter with my MK1 Granada.
So there..... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 11:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with SORN too. It makes sure that only those who are paying their dues are legally on the road.
Down here in Devon, there has been a purge on untaxed vehicles, and not before time.
Police stopped loads of them recently, and they were impounded there and then.
Let's face it, if one of these cars hits you, they are not insured, as if they are driving without tax, their insurance is not valid anyway.
I don't think the road tax is that bad. Less than 50p a day.
What do you get for that these days?

Basically, nobody likes paying taxes, but that's life! Especially under Tony B. Liar!!
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 11:12am »

There's only 2 certainties in life, taxes and death!

Unless you're a pikey, then its only death  Wink

Matt
IP Logged
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 11:19am »

on Jun 16th, 2006, 11:02am, Spannerdemon wrote:
Basically, nobody likes paying taxes, but that's life! Especially under Tony B. Liar!!

Yet another member who "loves" this government as much as I do......Yeah sure.

But we must retain our sense of irony or all is lost. This is the government that set up two committees to look into reducing bureaucracy by removing duplication. The Cabinet Office set up one, as did the Dept of Education and Skills - Neither committee knew the other one existed.

Bren (hmmm I wonder if I should post this twice??)

IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 12:20pm »

jonny, if we got rid of the archaic road tax system no time or money would be wasted on SORN. SORN works with the present system and is needed with the present system, but, it costs us all money in one way or another (its still man hours at dvla, paperwork and postage) to tell a government agency you're going to pay no tax for a period.
how much does the whole road tax system cost to run each year? and for what, to collect money, its not even a safety issue.
i believe it would be far better to put road tax on fuel, then the more you use the more you pay, and if people still want pretty coloured discs on their windscreens, why not mot ones? they could be a 'tear off' on the certificate.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 12:32pm »

You have got a point about road tax, & I must admit, it would save alot of wasted time queing in the post office. But I for one wouldn't like to see anymore tax added to the price of fuel. It's already a piss take.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 12:40pm »

yeah, quite agree it is a pisstake, and if the system were to change it would have to done fairly, but it would save shelling out lump sums every 6 months or a year.........
IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 12:44pm »

Agreed Wink
IP Logged
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 1:08pm »

The new A4 MOT certificate has got a removable bit to display on the vehicle.... however it's apparently not mandatory to have to do that.

IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
FishHead

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16th, 2006, 5:13pm »

A couple of points...

Firstly, NEVER EVER EVER get 6 months road tax - as long as you can borrow money at less than 49% APR then get 12 months at a time - you can always get a refund for unused months.

Secondly, I always thought that one of the main aims of vehicle duty was to check on a regular basis that the car had an MOT and that it was insured - now these are effectively checked by the DVL? computer then it's only the revenue that matters, so I say we should now scrap it and pop extra onto fuel tax to make up the difference.  It's quite hard to evade fuel tax.

Fish
IP Logged
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 12:19pm »

How about a swapping the Scorp for a SMART car.... £40 a year  Shocked

....... Ok maybe not  Embarassed  LOL  ROFL
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 1:24pm »

on Jun 16th, 2006, 11:12am, mazzy_j wrote:

Unless you're a pikey, then its only death  Wink

Matt

Which doesn't come soon enough for them in my opinion.  Wink

As for Tony, god help us, then again he wasn't the main man, all of the spin machine behind him works out the next stealth tax......and lets not forget the red tape......

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 4:47pm »

I think they are considering a different tax to replace road tax...they just haven't found one that ensures everyone pays more than at present!!!
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 11:48pm »

What about a road rage tax...if it could somehow be enforced then I think it would pay off the third world debt Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.