Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:17pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Sat  Nav ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Sat  Nav ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sat  Nav ?  (Read 929 times)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

Sat  Nav ?
« on: Jun 28th, 2006, 1:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sat Nav  ?  

Is  it   the  Bottled Water  of  motoring  ?  

i.e.  one big huge  fat  wobbly  bottomed  con,   or   a  boon  to  drivers  suffering   from   the  basic  inability  to read  a  map   ?

I   don't  really  need   it ,   or   do   I  ?    

( Sorry about all  the  questions )

IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re:  Sat  Nav ?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 2:22am »

Sat Nav is only good if there are traffic jams, otherwise good knowledge & a new map book will only cost £6.99 a year.
Last week, late evening, I took a couple of (worse for ware) guys home & they told me they'd been to Ascot for the day. They had ordered a cab for a 6am pickup & the driver had SatNav. He typed in Ascot & two hours later they were at Ascot House near Milton Keynes!!! Two hours later they arrived at the real Ascot.....Four hours from Brentwood to Ascot!!! Should have taken an hour, two hours max with heavy traffic.
It's know wonder us real cabbies get such a bad name with amateurs like this in the job Angry
I don't have SatNav & I never get lost  Cool
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 5:34am »

My system has been invaluable (mostly during vacation time), as manouvering through Oslo can be quite interesting sometimes. But I have a computer sitting in the boot doing the sat nav job (not a one-trick pda system on the dash  Wink), which makes it a lot more usable the rest of the year(as I use it to play music and movies as well).
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
john_smiffy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 7:28am »

sat nav is a good tool but like most tools its only as good as the person putting in there info  

IE put ascot but dont then choose the right option

like ascot racecourse they just click ok then find out they chose ascot house nr milton keynes
IP Logged

cheers
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 7:43am »

Wouldn't be without mine - tells you where speed cameras are (not that I speed but at least you know where everyone will be slaming the brakes on Wink Grin )

Also navigates around mad oneway systems in towns and will take you a nice scenic route if you want.  

No more aguments with the wife about getting lost and saves on petrol.  

Safer when your alone in the car and can't remember the route.

Points of interest are also useful - recently whilst on holiday, in a remote area, we needed a supermarket - took us directly there!

I use TomTom on an Ipaq so have the added bonus of a handheld computer as well!

But yes you do have to learn how to use it correctly, but it's quite straight forward!

HTH

Dave
IP Logged
PeteB

2.0 16v Ultima Saloon RIP \ 2.5 TD Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:10am »

Love mine so handy when on the open road and attending meetings on my own. Only problem I find is that its verbal directions can be a bit vague and then then you end up taking a wrong turn off a ring road Sad

Also I find that it can distract you from driving sometimes, imo they could cause more accidents on the roads.

I went for tomtom mobile on my nokia 6630 which is handy as it means i dont have to carry tonnes of crap around with me, just the phone and gps unit Smiley

Pete
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 8:53pm »

I love mine....it is a ford travelpilot from a Focus and looks the part and isn't stuck to the windscreen with one of them suckers you had in the bathroom when you were a kid and mum used to hang the flannel on it!!

I use mine a lot and find it invaluable especially with postcode and street numbers (the guy who got lost going to ascot mustn't have had that feature!!) Works a treat in France too and when your destination is 740 miles from Calais, even the best navigator gets a bit lost....

Go and buy one!!
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:04pm »

yes just got a Hp pda with tomtom 5  Smiley great little thing sits in the window and has got my fannel hanging from it as well  Grin
but it is like people say only as good as the person using it, always double check my addresses with a real map and go the way i know untill the last few miles which is great as you don't need your head stuck in a road map causing a accident
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:06pm »

Mine talks with a kind of joanna lumley accent....grrrrrrr
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:43pm »

< got my fannel hanging from it > Huh

I'm going to regret this I know,  but what's a Fannel ?
IP Logged
Baz

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 8:56am »

Not fannel....flannel (Lee spelt it wrong!!) It is what you wipe your face with..."face cloth" is the posh way of saying it!!
IP Logged
Lee

2.9 12v ultima the mutts

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 6:20pm »

oops  Embarassed
oh well at least someone knew what i was getting at  Cool
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 9:01pm »

Sat nav is great if you're going to an unfamiliar place and probably only the once.  If you're making regular trips to an area then buy a local A-Z - it'll be cheaper, more accurate and won't crash (or flat battery) when you really need it!

It's handy in my job because I (literally) drive all over England and Wales and even though I can get to most cities by memory it's not as easy to find a random address once I arrive and I can't buy an A-Z for every area I go to.  Having said that, we do go to Bradford quite often so we did buy an A-Z for there; though I've been often enough now to know most of the main roads anway!

Being as everyone here has internet access and most have a printer it's perfectly feasible to print maps from multimap.com or similar at different scales until you find a major road you know - I used this method for years before treating myself to sat nav and at times still go back to it.

Darren
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 12:30pm »

I   could've     done   with   Sat-Nav   while driving  in  the   US   recently.

The  number of  illegal    U turns   I  did   after missing  turn offs, you would not believe  Shocked

As  well   as  illegally  going   through   the  Express   toll  booth   on  the  New York  Turnpike   thus   failing  to   pay   the   $2  toll.

If anyone from America asks, you  don't know me ,    right ? Wink
IP Logged
mach1rob

'95 2.9 12v Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:56pm »

I'm running TomTom mobile on my Nokia 6600, have been for the past 7 months, and its not let me down yet, although it does send you som eodd ways at times!  Not that I need it in anger often as I've got a pretty good sence of direction, and can generally get where I need to be, and, I don't mind stopping to ask directions! Usually easier than finding yourself stuck in a dead end with a large truck!
If you can afford it, then go for it, you'll be glad of it if you often travel to unfamiliar places, however a map is cheaper Wink
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 9:07am »

on Jul 1st, 2006, 12:30pm, mr._floppy wrote:

......If anyone from America asks, you  don't know me ,    right ? Wink

ROFL  Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.