Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Road Tolls »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Road Tolls
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Road Tolls  (Read 1004 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Road Tolls
« on: Aug 13th, 2006, 12:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have read that my local county council is considering charging motorists for using the A12, A127, A13, with the aid of a 'Black Box' fitted to every vehicle.
The reason being is to relieve congestion on arterial/trunk roads & motorways Huh

Excuse me if I am wrong....but weren't these kind of roads built to take traffic away from towns & villages.

If you charge motorists to use main roads.....aren't they just going to go the back route through the villages again...like they did before trunk roads were built Huh
IP Logged
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Road Tolls
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 7:56am »

Agree However it's going to be a tough choice between taking the shorter route with the toll or going the long way round with no toll but using the extra go go juice especially with petrol prices at their stupid government enforced levels Angry
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 1:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sorry guys, but we are ALL losing the way here. We keep letting this stinking government stuff and shaft us, day in and day out. We put up with it, and in typical British fashion, we just meekly accept that this is what will happen.

It doesn't have to happen. All it needs is for every single UK motorist, haulage firm, coach firm, etc etc to say "GET STUFFED" to these little black boxes, which apart from anything else, will tell Mr Blair exactly where we all are 24 hrs a day........as if that's any of his f****ng business!

This government just gets crazier and crazier. we already pay the highest fuel charges in Europe. we pay road tax, we pay VAT on every dam thing going, and now they want to do a George Orwell number on us as well?  Shocked

No doubt WE will be paying for the black box, AND for the fitting. Yeah Right.  Not Me..........

The government have no right whatsoever to impose this on us, and it will be a VERY brave man who tries to fit one of these things to MY car!!  Angry

We must ALL kick up 100% HELL over this idea, to prevent it at all costs.

The French have toll Motorways, *(which knock the spots off ours because the money generated IS ploughed back into keeping them in A1 condition), but they don't insist on surveillence boxes in your vehicles.  

Why is it so difficult to have a system like that here!!

Blair is security obsessed. CCTV everywhere, and our every movements monitored.
Time the British people told him where to get off!
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 1:41pm »

they were going to introduce congestion charging in Edinburgh, the council spent about £1m before the people worked out what was going on and demanded a vote. the vote was NO  Grin

if they spent the money on improving our public transport, i wouldnt have to drive into work every morning (30 mins as opposed to over 1hr on the 3 buses i need to take)

ahh if only we had the Amsterdam system......
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
derekne

PULL OVER

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 3:08pm »

The forth road bridge at the minute. Is costing me a fortune as im on my holidays in Scotland. East fife (LEVEN)
The bridge has shot up to a pound. Soon aparently its going to be 1.50 EACH WAY. When the councils stop arguing as to which side gets the money Shocked
Im traveling back and forth over the bridge every day.
IP Logged

derekne
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That's just it. They DON'T spend the money that they generate from motorists on improving roads or public transport.

They use it to constantly pad their own fat ample backsides.

As they get all their motoring expenses paid, they couldn't care less about the rest of us.

http://www.urban75.com/Punch/

IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:00pm »

the black box idea is nothing new and is part of the future, trouble is the future is drawing closer.
it would take a long time, a lot of debate and shed loads of money, but 'black boxes' could possibly be fitted to new cars by the manufacturers.
i cant see them ever being fitted to existing vehicles; legally there would be hundreds of lawyers taking the government to court for various rights infringements, illegally there will be plenty of computer boffs that could 'adjust' them, then of course theres the ' that big mallet just sort of fell on it officer'.
another worry about the black box idea is not just road tolls, but they could in theory be used for speeding offences etc.
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:15pm »

Trafficmaster have the technology and are the people who provide Norwich Union with their black boxes and the RAC Trackstar product. They also provide the majority of tracking products for the commercial trucking fleets in the US

The black box is available now and can prove where you were and how fast you were going, I only hope that the government has not got the balls to use it  Sad.

However if they do it will be like health service computers, home logbooks, new passports and ID cards, the costs will over run but its not a problem cos they will be using our money to keep track of what we are doing.

Problem is the majority of law abiding UK citizens do not have the nouse or interest to see whats coming and therefore will meekly roll over and nanny and Gordon will take a bit more money out of our pockets cos he can...GRRRRRRRRRRR Sad

Political moi?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 15th, 2006, 9:52pm »

Be no good fitting black boxes to Scorpios; not with their penchant for electrical problems!

Of course, what the govermint will do is give an incentive (or penalty) to encourage us to buy and fit them, such as doubling road tax unless one is fitted.  Insurers may also refuse cover unless the car has one fitted.

Problem is they threaten you with fines and jail if you don't comply with their latest ill-advised laws so everybody does.  If we could get 80% of the population to ignore these laws they'd soon get the message,

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 12:43am »

Sorry.....I didnt post the whole story. Apparently there is an incentive for having a black box......No road tax payments & reduced fuel Huh.....
Yea right......It would probably cost you more in charges to drive from London to Southend than it would six months road tax Roll Eyes
How is the reduced fuel price going to work?.....If petrol is 97.9 a litre & you walk into the shop & flash a card (with a smug look) saying that you are entitled to 10p a litre off their fuel Huh..they're going to call the police, because you can guarantee that there will be some very good forgeries going around Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 8:13am »

I have black boxes in my vans....it tells me exactly where the vans are at any time, how fast and where it has been!

Keeps my wage costs down when lads tell me they were on site till 6 oclock at night!

As geoff said the technology is already here
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.