Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Another Fuel Question »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Another Fuel Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another Fuel Question  (Read 865 times)
r33per

1998 S Reg 2.3 Ultima Saloon

View Profile

Another Fuel Question
« on: Sep 7th, 2006, 8:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Recently, I've been hearing stories about other motorists having problems with the "Supermarket Grade" fuel. Some vary from a lower than normal MPG to serious performance lag and flushing out the fuel lines...

Has anyone here experienced any problems like this with the Scorpio?

Stu
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Another Fuel Question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 8:48pm »

Well, I filled my 2.3 up at Sainsbury's once when I ran low, it might have been me but the car didn't seem as responsive on the drive home. I normally fill up at Shell (yes, I even use Optimax when I feel flush, forgive me) and it suits me, normally a couple of coppers less than the BP down the road too.

One problem with cheap fuel is the sulphur content, google 'Nikasil' and you'll find a lot of information on the problems it causes with the Jaguar X308 XJ V8's and some Beemers, the sulphur content dissolves the cylinder lining, trashing the engine; one morning you start the car and get no compression...

The moral is, never buy a 'bargain' 1998 model Jaguar XJ with the original engine, you'll live to regret it as I nearly did (dreaming out of my price range Smiley).

Regards, TiberiuS Wink.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 4:42pm »

any one found a shell garage selling that v max stuff yet, the one near me still has optimax on the pumps Sad
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 9:00pm »

The two near me have Vmax on the pumps, pretty sure it's just a rebranded Optimax though Wink

Filled up tonight, 89.9p/litre; first time I remember it being below 90p for quite a while, won't last long though, the tank full or the price  Embarassed

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 5:35pm »

almost vmax has a higher octane rating then optimax

matt
IP Logged

r33per

1998 S Reg 2.3 Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 9:26pm »

on Sep 9th, 2006, 5:35pm, Matt wrote:
vmax has a higher octane ...

Yeah, I was speaking to a guy at work about the octane thing. He said that it was to do with the height of the piston when it ignites the fuel.

Higher piston = better push on the downstroke = more power. However, because the piston is higher, it requires less fuel and so (theoretically...) the fuel economy should improve as well.

Is this correct, or have I missed something here?

Stu
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 9:53pm »

I think he's right, the compression ratio has a bearing on output power, hence why cheap (low octane) fuel causes pinking and knocking.  

The Scorpio handbook says that using higher octane fuel 'has no notable benefits'. I thought the main thing about Optimax was that it burned clean and contained additives to clean the engine. The higher octane can't be a bad thing though.

Whatever it is, the car seems to like it so I'm happy Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 9:54pm »

interesting, i thought the higher the octane the purer the petrol and therefore a cleaner more efficient burn.
isnt the height of the piston determined by the valves opening to let fuel into the chamber?
IP Logged

Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 9th, 2006, 10:12pm »

the octane rating is something to with the fuel air mix, e.g. less fule is needed to produce the same power (cant remember the exact tech part right now, i'll find out again) normally, the octane rating has no effect on normal engines because it's not tuned to use the benefits (they wouldnt know it's a hight octane, so it prob just run rich), so any power increases experienced are from the additives being burnt. Car engines tuned for it, or high performance engines like the v6's would see some improvement, but as the newest cars are coming up to their 10th b'day, the technology is old and then we’re back to just burning additives Sad
IP Logged

cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 11:46pm »

I dont disagree with any of the above but one of the guys that goes to my local drives a fuel tanker and he reckons tankers from all the major companies fill up at the same place.
So when does the fuel change ie why is shell unleaded any better than sainsburys or tescos? Huh
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 11:55pm »

There  are only a handful of  petrol  refineries in the UK   and they're all   run  by the  big   companies  Gulf, BP, Texaco ,Etc.

So the idea that Morrisons,  Asda  and  Tesco  have their own refineries is  mistaken.
IP Logged
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 12:02pm »

on Sep 7th, 2006, 8:48pm, TiberiuS wrote:
Well, I filled my 2.3 up at Sainsbury's once when I ran low, it might have been me but the car didn't seem as responsive on the drive home.

Funny you say that my sister put some petrol in her Vectra (only because we couldn't find a decent Scorpio at the time) from Sainsburys the other day and she commented that it ran like a bag of bolts afterwards. Normally theres no problem with the likes of Tesco's etc.
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 1:35pm »

Technically the base product is the same. Its what the company's add to the base product that makes the difference. Personally if I didn't run a diesel car (fuel from work - a haulage company) then I would use shell as a preference. We order our diesel for work from different suppliers (price can vary a penny a litre, which on 12,000 litres makes a difference!) and they pull from the same terminals, but the fuel is dealt with slightky differently by each of them.

A number of people I know have poorer running of their cars due to supermarket brand fuel. One person who really advises the use of branded fuel especially optimax is honest john of the telegraph newspaper (saturday motoring section) and his own website.

If I had a cossie then it'd be optimax only for me.

HTH
Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 8:20am »

octane value refers to the fuels resistance to detonation, higher octane has more calorific value, and burns slower, but longer.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.