Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« speed cameras »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   speed cameras
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: speed cameras  (Read 890 times)
craig

Email

speed cameras
« on: Sep 10th, 2006, 6:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

heres a question,do speed cameras only operate in one direction?....
reason for asking is i have recently bought a road angel navigator, (amazing bit of kit if you are looking for a good sat nav unit)and on some journeys it only warns me "of a fixed camera ahead" when i am travelling away from them and not toward   Huh
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: speed cameras
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi craig

yes, only from behind on fixed camera sites. i get the same alert from my pda (tomtom 5).

hth
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 7:38pm »

If you're talking about the normal yellow ones with the grid painted on the road, I think they do. Strange thing though, when I was in London last the other week, looks like the gremlins have been at work turning some of the cameras around so they face torwards you away from the grid Roll Eyes

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 7:44pm »

There is one in the central reservation of a dual carriageway in Warrington that is turned occasionally by the Police to catch people going out of town. As long as the lines are in the road for both directions they will work either way so beware!!

Just remember a speed camera on the side of motorway roadworks will catch cars in all 3 lanes so it can easily strecth to a two lane road in each direction!

By the way Craig..... does this sat nav have up to date maps?? Grin
Baz
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 7:54pm »

NO!  

the old style only catch your rear plate, these can be turned around to face the other carriageway, but still only photograph from the rear.
tuvelo's (i think they are called) are a later version and photograph the FRONT number plate, loved by motorcyclists as bikes dont have front number plates. one tuvelo site that springs to mind is on the a21 southbound just before the tonbridge south exit.
the next generation (i think have been tested on the m4) are 2 cameras a mile or so apart, they work out the time it takes to travel the distance and therefore your speed, apart from tractors, bendy buses, post office vans, cyclists, these are the most evil invention known to the motorist as slowing down for the camera then speeding up wont work.
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 8:03pm »

remember, number plate coatings that 'blind' the camera are illegal and easy to spot, however, blue-tacking a couple of blank cd's to the inside of your rear screen to reflect the flash is perfectly legal....
IP Logged

cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 11:24pm »

Just got to tell you this story guys,
A few years ago one of my motorcycling mates got a ticket due to a camera at Belsay in Northumberland, he ended up with points on his liscence.
the next time we were on a run out in that area we pulled up in the village and came up with lots of ideas as to how to sobbottage the camera non of which we carried out.
One of the guys had the idea of all but one of us standing in the road mooning the camera and the last guy should remove his number plate and drive past us all bums in the air at about 40 odd mph.
The camera did flash and I have been watching police camera action ever since but never spotted my bum on tv Roll Eyes
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 6:52am »

on Sep 10th, 2006, 7:44pm, Baz wrote:

By the way Craig..... does this sat nav have up to date maps?? Grin
Baz

yes it does baz,so much so,it even has my home address on it  Shocked,the VNR was a nice unit,and i said i would NEVER have 1 of those ridiculous units that sit in the windscreen,however,i am well impressed with this one (i have the navigator,not the navigator 6000,apparently the 6000 uses "lesser" software),easy to use,and lots of usefull features....................

thanks for all the replies about the camera'si was just curious as to why the unit alerts me in 1 direction... Smiley
IP Logged
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 10:50am »

on Sep 10th, 2006, 8:03pm, taliban wrote:
however, blue-tacking a couple of blank cd's to the inside of your rear screen to reflect the flash is perfectly legal....

But apparently does NOT work, a mate of mine has the points to prove it.
IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
bertie

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 11:13am »

chaps

for all speed camera/ticket queries, see these guys

http://www.pepipoo.com/

fight the law with the law....

simon

IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 11:19am »

bren, depends on the car i.e. shape, how you position the cd's, they need to be positioned at a slight angle, left and right so they can reflect the full flash, they will obviously only work with the older cameras that flash......
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 5:49pm »

Why not just go all the way and install mirror film all over the rear screen as seemed to be the trend in 3 Series Beemers a few moons ago?  There may be a use for all those AOL trial discs yet... Cheesy

I was thinking a while back (not that I would consider doing anything which might be seen as illegal you understand Wink) about a device fitted in the recess along with the rear number plate which could bring down a cover to obscure the real one in about a second, like a blind worked from a push button somewhere discrete in the cab. Combinations for the 'fake' number are endless, F 00 KED, SP 33 DER, or  

How's my speeding?
Call xxxxx

etc etc. There's some law vs. motorist crackers on the 'cokelore' site which jonnycab linked to, http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/law.asp

I am told there are talents in me yet Grin.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.