Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Jaguar XJ6, XJ8 advice needed »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Jaguar XJ6, XJ8 advice needed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jaguar XJ6, XJ8 advice needed  (Read 497 times)
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

Jaguar XJ6, XJ8 advice needed
« on: Sep 18th, 2006, 12:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi guys, Been looking at buying an XJ series Jag for a while now. Drove a 97 XJ8 a few days ago and i'm in love!!! car drove like an absolute dream. XJ's seem to be plentifull here in florida and parts are not as expensive as i thought they would be.

Anyone owned a XJ before? I know they're not the most reliable things to own but what kind of problems did you experience? was the 6 more reliable than the 8? Input welcome, thanks in advance

Danny_R

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Jaguar XJ6, XJ8 advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 7:47am »

Danny, Over here a magazine called Car Mechanics is running a series on 'buying and restoring' an X300.There is also an advert in the magazine for 'Jaguar World' which says 'If you are thinking of buying a Jaguar X300 you'll need this'. Their web site is www.jaguar-world.com  CM is www.carmechanicsmag.co.uk
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Danny_R

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 12:11pm »

Hey Simmo thats a great help mate! thanks for the link Smiley

Kind Regards

Danny_R
IP Logged
DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 3:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One of our company cars was an XJ8 and apart from the excessive tyre and brake wear which you must expect with a car this size and weight (probably not an issue if you are used to driving Yank tanks), we had lots of suspension issues.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 3:38pm »

obviously earning too much over there Danny,and all that time in the sun and all that,not that i am at all envious... Roll Eyes
all the best mate,you took a chance and it all worked out,good on you,you deserve it.... Wink
craig..
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 3:38pm »

Hello Danny, I love my Jags too Cool

The new model XJ8 replaced the XJ6, if you're going for an XJ8 there are a few things you should know:

The bores in the V8 engine were coated with Nikasil (as were some German V engines in the mid 1990's), there are a lot of problems with Nikasil, a search of the web will tell you more and I have an article on Nikasil here somewhere, I'll try and dig it out Smiley, also there were other problems on the new model including chain tensioners but once sorted they are said to be good cars.  

Most 2nd hand V8's are 3.2 Executives, the word on the Jaguar enthusiast circuit seems to be leave the 3.2 and instead go for a 4.0, it has far more power, similar fuel economy and holds its value far better.

The X300 is a safer, less expensive bet mechanics wise but the V8 is nice to have, don't be afraid to pay more for a car from a good dealer with history Wink.

Happy shopping.

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Danny_R

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 6:23pm »

Hey DJ, Bruce, thanks for that helpful info. I have always liked jags. They are even more appealing to me than say a BMW or a Benz of similar class. Cant quite but my finger on it but there is definitely something about the XJ's Smiley I've actually been looking at a 96 XJ6 that has the 4.0 DOHC 24v. It's black with a nice cream colored interior Tongue Tongue Tongue cant let my heart rule my head though.

Hey Craig good to hear from you mate. Hope you and your good lady are doing ok. So how are you liking that big yank 4x4 then? Dare I ask how many miles to the gallon your getting Cheesy I can just imagine the thoughts of LPG conversions going through your head at night Grin The XJ's are not that expensive if you look hard enough. I suppose I’m trying hard to get over the fact that my dear old scorp is probably going to end up in the big junkyard in the sky soon Cry  

Kind Regards all

Danny_R
IP Logged
nic

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26th, 2006, 10:24pm »

Danny,

Get a post 99 and the bore problems are gone, Jaguar recalled them and fitted a new motor with steel liners. Post 99 the engines are fine.
Dont go for the 3.2v8, even thoughthey have 270hp its a big car to pull.
Bite the bullet, like me and get the full fat 4.0V8 supercharged, you will not regret it.
Just bought mine and it is everything I thought it was and more.

Plus the look on the boy racers faces when you leaver them in a cloud of tyre smoke, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds Grin Grin Grin Grin

One word or warning, in really bad rain, DO Not turn the traction off and nail it on a motorway, spinning the back tyres at 110 is not fun, is it Simon Wink

Nic
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 7:51am »

Chap next door has a late 90's Supercharged 4.0 V8 that he doesn't spare the horses on when he goes off up the road.

Oh the noise  Cheesy
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
nic

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 6:07pm »

It would be impolite if he didnt, why have them and not use them, never drove my cossie without using the loud pedal and I wont change now.

Nic
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.