Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« looking like a police car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   looking like a police car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: looking like a police car  (Read 2125 times)
wickedteen

Email

looking like a police car
« on: Sep 18th, 2006, 4:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

has anyone heard of some being stoppped by the local bobby, for there car looking like a police car, i havent, but if i get enough interest in this topic i shall show you all a little video of my P reg cossie estate, some might go WOW, some might say wot a thingy, then i shall let you in to a secret....................
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: looking like a police car
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 5:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think I may know what you're talking about, a friend of mine installed a pair of blue strobes behind the grille on his (diamond white, cough) Capri, for offroad use, of course Grin

Would love to see the vid Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 5:35pm »

did you know it is not illegal to have the "blue lense's" on your car as long as you do not switch them on on the public highway, as this would put you in prison for upto 2years as you would be inpersonating a police-man, it is legal to show a blue lense as long as you cannot see the light, ie: not blue flashing just a lense, same as a blue beacon for the roof of the car, leagal to put on the parcel shelf with the cord showing, but not legal to use.............
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 5:47pm »

i had deep blue sidelights on my clio for 2 year, never got stopped, also had blue leds facing rearward, again never got stopped, but it does depend where you live, birmingham bobbies dont care much about anything to to with cars or road use
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 5:53pm »

have alook at the pic in my profile, these are the real covert police lights
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 7:56pm »

Wickedteen. I think you ought to read This before you get 'pulled'. It is quite clear that it is an offence to FIT the type of lamp you describe ...whether it works or not.!!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 8:26pm »

let me put it this way.............
i am a authorised dealer in police car lights and sirens, my cossi goes to shows and is fully equipped, it is all hardwired in but is on several switches, so if you get caught with them on it is obvious that you put them on and didnt hit the switch by accident, a bit like the nuclear button,lol.
 and i would never sell these things to your local yob, sorry boy racer, we mainly sell to military clubs and shows, which use them for WWII ambulances and so forth.
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 5:04am »

Winksomeone else had all that stuff on there cossie as well,they were looking into selling that type of stuff as well,imported from the states.......
remember anyone    Wink
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 6:41am »

on Sep 18th, 2006, 8:26pm, wickedteen wrote:
i would never sell these things to your local yob, sorry boy racer

In case they fit them illegally to their cars?? Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

wickedteen

Email

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 6:57am »

my local police know that i have these fitted and also know that i am a authorised dealerand what i do, so its not like im hiding anything, i spoke with them about it all and they were not too happy in case they get in the wrong hands, but other the past year all has been fine and i do not use them on the road, i have had plenty of strange looks when im at the petrol station checking my oil and water, sometimes its quite funny to the faces of the boy racers who have just tried to race me, lol
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 8:21am »

I was once sat in a petrol station having a cup of coffee, nattering to my mate and reading the papers etc. Just generally chilling and not doing anything special. I was sat there for nearly an hour when all of a sudden a cop car pulled into the station and a big copper dressed in full facist outfit comes in and threatens to arrest me for impersonating a police officer!! Grin Grin

Its all true I tell you!!
IP Logged
Bren

I claim the 5th amendment officer

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 9:48am »

Well Baz that's because you probably were without realizing it.
We've all seen them parked on garages supping coffee for hours having a skive .... Grin Grin
IP Logged

Vote WHITTINGTON for London Mayor
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 9:53am »

hey baz, why did they do that then, did you have any blue lights on on your carHuhHuh
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 9:54am »

Baz,
I think you forgot to mention the plate with a dozen doughnuts on it Grin
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 9:55am »

And then I've seen them killed or injured trying to save innocent, law abiding members of the public Undecided

But lets keep to topic please  Wink

Dave
IP Logged
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 9:59am »

dave i like the front of your car, its a bit boy racer though, but i like it
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 12:07pm »

Cheesy Not my car - someone else's, not a member here AFAIK -  looks awful IMO Wink

Dave
IP Logged
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 12:37pm »

This may be of interest.
A) We have also had some enquiries concerning miniture blue lights fitted to tyre valves.

If the lamp moves - as it would if fitted on a wheel then an offence under Reg 12 Lighting Regs 1989 (moveable lamps) would appear to be fulfilled.

'No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle to which, or to any load or equipment of which, there is fitted a lamp, reflector or marking which is capable of being moved by swivelling, deflecting or otherwise while the vehicle is in motion.

Exceptions listed include retro reflectors fitted to pedal cycle pedals, and wheels and tyres of pedal cycles, invalid carriages and solo motorcycles.

If a lamp flashes then it would fall foul of regulation 13 - Lamps to show a steady light

'No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which automatically emits a flashing
light.'

Exceptions include direction indicators, a headlamp fitted to an emergency vehicle; a warning beacon or special warning lamp

Are all blue lights warning beacons or special warning lamps as these are restricted to fitting and use on emergency vehicles by regulation 16?

'No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with :-
(a) a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or
(b) a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.'

Regulation 3

‘Special warning lamp’
A lamp, fitted to the front or rear of a vehicle, capable of emitting a blue flashing light and not any other kind of light.

‘Warning beacon’
A lamp that is capable of emitting a flashing or rotating beam of light throughout 360 degrees in the horizontal plane.

Thus if a blue light does not flash it does not fulfill the above definitions and as long as it does not resemble such a lamp then it would not fall foul of reg 16.

Can they be considered as optional position lamps? - no they do not fall even close to the definition of one.

To summarise - if they do not move, do not flash and do not resemble (other than perhaps in colour but certainly not in size) a special warning lamp or blue warning beacon and do not display to the rear I cannot see how such lamps can fall foul of this legislation.

Taken from this site
http://www.hughesguides.com/Law/qanda.html#Anchor-Blue-47857
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 12:43pm »

Except they cant be blue Smiley
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

wickedteen

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 19th, 2006, 1:01pm »

the main issue is wether you can see the light, yes light, not the external fitting, the cover " coloured glass", apparently it is illegal to be able to see the flashing light no matter what colour it is, but to see a reflection is legal, ie; the covert behind my grill are illegal to use as you can quite clearly see the glass, "thats if you are looking at the grill, which most none law abidding scrouts do", now the covert lights in the back are completely legal as they are TIR6's LED's which are totally clear until switched on, and they are blue one side, red the other.
now these have a range of upto 3miles, so if you unlucky to have a undercover police car in front of you and it puts these on, then you are going to stop, as these will almost certaintly momentarily blind you, these are commonly known as TAKE DOWN LIGHTS, you could be right up the back side of the vehicle and not know it until its too late and god do you know it.....
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.