Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Petrol »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Petrol
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Petrol  (Read 743 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Petrol
« on: Oct 8th, 2006, 12:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I keep hearing about how good Shell Optimax/BP Ultima petrol is.
I hear people harping on about how much better it is than regular unleaded.

I've just done my own little experiment over the last couple of weeks.

I usually use regular unleaded, but tried the super stuff for a couple of weeks....
There was no feeling of increased power, & as fuel economy goes....it was more expensive.

If I stick £10 regular unleaded in my Taxi then I get about 65 miles around town.
When I stuck £10 Optima/Ultima in then I was getting about 60 miles around town.....slight difference Roll Eyes.....probably due to it being 5p a litre more expensive. Roll Eyes

The car didn't feel any faster using 97 octane, but then again I have a fuel cat fitted.

My opinion.....If the big petrol companies were really worried about the planet then Optimax/Ultima would be the standard grade sold.... Cheesy

Can someone fill me in on the benefits of using super grade petrol?......because as far as I'm concerned....it's just another little bit of tax on motoring that doesn't benefit the motorist or the planet at all Huh

....so there   Tongue
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Petrol
« Reply #1 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 7:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

IMHO
it's a long term thing,you have to give the petrol time to work thrugh the engine and clean the system through,try giving it a little longer,i for 1 did notice a difference after a months use,and still to this day use the "superior" fuels....
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 9:28am »

No Scorpio has to use super unleaded all the engines where designed to use regular 95 ron.

Super unleaded is over rated by many people Wink

However some cars have to use it.

For example if I run over 1 bar of boost my engine will pink on 95 ron petrol. So I have to then use 98 ron petrol to stop it.

Trouble is some petrol don't even reach 95 ron that's when problems occur, using optimax you know at the very least it is 95 ron.

This is one of them things that people will have all sorts of different results due to the quality of their local fuels Wink
IP Logged

Dave
julie_quaife

'97 2.3 16v ultima estate blue azura

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 8th, 2006, 12:31pm »

I do on occasion use shell optimax and do notice a difference, the car seems more 'settled' and the drive more luxuriant than on my normal co-op top-up, as my nearest shell garage is 12 miles away I only use it when i'm passing. I never use tesco or morrisons anymore as the additives they use tended to cause 'pinking' on my previous cars
IP Logged
Baw_Flinger

Ex 2.3 owner..... Snif

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 8:17am »

I used to stick a Redex mix (inj + carb) in every month after about 2 months of having the car, my economy went up and she ran real smooth (until the HGF Embarassed). I used to to 2k a month though so it was cheaper than running on 97 or whatever.
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 11:46am »

i dont know what bp/shell stick in it to increase the octane rating but if its 5p per litre more thats 22.7p per gallon, 3.50 per tank full extra, if you use a tank full per month thats 42 quid a year more. which is quite a lot considering you can use redex every few months for a fiver, havoline valve guard etc etc...
IP Logged

Penguin

Scorpio Owner 12/05 - 7/07

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 12:21am »

In my cosser estate sticking super unleaded in it has a very slight improvement on a full bore take off (eg when one goes from 20 straight to 90 at the begining of the M1 at Staples Corner or on the very short slip roads the French use for their autoroutes) but otherwise there seems to be no discernable difference so I run it on 95 all the time.  

Cheers

Penguin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.