Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:35pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Lest we forget.... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Lest we forget....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lest we forget....  (Read 3401 times)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Lest we forget....
« on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Rememberance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtl5kmWrFLg

If you have a poppy wear it with pride

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
clarkster

Dear Santa, could I have a plasma cutter, please?

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Lest we forget....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:27pm »

boots and medals polished, No2 Uniform back from the dry cleaners, new beret and I have even found my braces!
IP Logged
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 7:56am »

on Nov 3rd, 2006, 7:27pm, clarkster wrote:
boots and medals polished, No2 Uniform back from the dry cleaners, new beret and I have even found my braces!

Ditto, have dug my medals out and my No.1's(RAF) will be on parade Sunday in Norwich with the local Air Training Corps Squadron that I help out. Strangely my unit isn't parading Embarassed Though we are only a small station.
Guy.
IP Logged
julie_quaife

'97 2.3 16v ultima estate blue azura

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 9:42pm »

i will always wear my poppy with pride!!
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 6:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

We should never forget those brave souls who laid down the ultimate sacrifice for us all in the two World Wars.

R.I.P. All of you.
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 10:16am »

And then there are those who don't come back or return crippled or mentally wrecked by the conflicts we are involved in now.  

Lions led by political donkeys

IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 4:08pm »

on Nov 7th, 2006, 10:16am, Geoff_W wrote:
And then there are those who don't come back or return crippled or mentally wrecked by the conflicts we are involved in now.  

True, my father (and Grandfather) served in the RAF in the likes of Borneo and Saudi, always kept a lot of things about it to himself and it ruined his life in many ways too.

Got mine pinned on my jacket Wink

Bruce.

IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 5:36pm »

Indeed,    there  can't be many    1914-18   veterans  left  and  even  ww2   combatants  are  into  their  eighties now.
IP Logged
dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 6:16pm »

My Dad served 01/09/39 to 02 /46 in the RAFVR then RAF (got stuck in the middle east awaiting transport home). He was in 111 MU (maintenance unit) they repaired and overhauled Merlin engines amongst other things. They had three engine test beds running 24 hours a day seven days a week on camp. He says that if they were  ever all turned off "the silence was deafening"............
My Uncle Sid was killed in April 1941 whilst serving as a pilot in 21 Squadron from RAF Watton (Blenheims.....................short term job............ Cry)
Wear your Poppy with pride  
DH Dove
IP Logged
cossieguy

1996 Cosworth Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 10:15pm »

on Nov 7th, 2006, 10:16am, Geoff_W wrote:

As a serving member of the RAF for the last 17 years I couldn't agree more Sad  It's a disgrace when it takes pressure from the press to give the "Troops" what they need(i.e decent equipment and allowances). Did you know some soldiers claim income support as their basic pay is so low? Good enough to die for your country just not worth paying. I've been to Iraq and believe me I can't understand for the life of me why our boys are dying in that hell hole.  
As always, history will see the dead as heroes and the politicians that sent them as murderers, QUITE RIGHT IN THE CASE OF IRAQ Angry
Not forgetting the estimated 250,000 Iraqi civilians that instead of liberation got a hole in the ground. RIP.

Guy.
IP Logged
clarkster

Dear Santa, could I have a plasma cutter, please?

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 8:50pm »

Was at a meeting yesterday and the procurement of new armoured vehicles for us to use in Iraq/Afghan was raised. We have put a bid in for some of the aging (1960s) AFV 432, now called bulldog. This is for the RLC bomb disposal teams that are currently using soft skinned trucks.

The bid has been turned down as too much was spent on the soft skinned trucks!!! So much for Blair saying that all we need to do is ask for the kit.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:18pm »

my dad's brother was killed in ww2, he was a tail gunner, apparently one of the worst positions to be in, didnt get shot but was killed when his plane crashed in the yorkshire dales returning from a night raid. dont think my dad has really got over it especially as he wasnt allowed to serve due to him working in research depts. he then went on to become a MOD metallurgist helping develop alloys, gun barrels etc, in the 70's he played a major role developing depleted uranium as armour shell casing for piercing tanks etc. him and many others like him with brilliant scientific minds were paid a pittance by consecutive governments.....
IP Logged

wayne

2l 16v Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 11th, 2006, 11:09am »

IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:03pm »

Its time for us to remember again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtl5kmWrFLg
IP Logged

ghia-x

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 12:01am »

Im with you all on this one.  
Lest we foget.Lest we foget.Lest we foget.Lest we foget.

For all the Boy's, Girl's, Men & Women that have past on in the first & second world war & every battle since. Cry Sad

We will not forgetWe will not forgetWe will not forgetWe will not forget
Rest in Peace
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 1:15am »

I'm ashamed to say I can't find one person,  from  my family's  past, who took part in any sort of combat,  was  injured or was killed  in  action.

My Dad was called up in 1944 but never got nearer to serious action than chucking out time in Buxton on a Saturday night. Undecided

However,  to be brutally honest,  even as a keen student of modern military history, I find myself  being drawn to the idea that we should begin to let history be just that, History,  and allow  it,   to recede into the distant past.

Not  to forget,  you understand,  how can we ?    but  allow  us  to  move  on  and look to the future.  

IP Logged
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 3:27am »

Mr Floppy.... have you tried looking here ?.....

.......http://www.cwgc.org/

I found my Great Grandad on there, who died in France during WW1  Smiley
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 4:30pm »

I guess there are two components to this, one is remembering the debt that we owe to past generations for the sacrifice and commitment that they made, regardless of whether they were killed or gave their lives in conflict, returned physically or mentally injured or returned changed in some way.  

Thats where the remembrance comes from and Jonnycabs link to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission may help people to learn more about where some of their ancestors ended up.

However we also have people serving now who whether regulars or reservists may have to put their lives in jeopardy in our "interests".

That is a different dimension and also needs thought and I am supporting the Royal British Legion's campaign to honour the covenant.

Have a look at http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/index.cfm?asset_id=516704  

I accept Floppy's point that we should move on but I suspect he and I may have different views on the how.

Geoff

IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 12:57am »

Geoff_W wrote... "However we also have people serving now who whether regulars or reservists may have to put their lives in jeopardy in our "interests"."

Not sure whether anyone will consider me out of line for saying this...but I'm gonna say it anyway.... Wink

......The armed forces nowadays are totally voluntary...there is no national service or compulsory conscription.......so anyone that signs up for battle do so at their own will & they are aware of the possible situations that they may have to confront.

WW1 & WW2 relied not only on the armed forces, but any able bodied man could be called up to fight for their country. Many didn't want to, but they couldn't refuse, as they had no choice  Huh

My Great Grandfather died in the field in WW1....he was 38 years old & still only a private  Huh....so was obviously called up to fight, even though he had no combat training  Huh

'Cannon fodder' & 'Over the top or shot at dawn'....nice  Undecided

But once put in that situation, they had no alternative but to fight for their lives & country....& I salute them  Smiley

Thank god we don't still have the same system today.
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 10:37am »

Agreed, thank goodness we live in different times.

But Jonny I repeat my point which is that in addition to remembering the sacrifices that millions made, either voluntarily or as conscripts, we should also still acknowledge our own responsibility to hold people to account to see that our serving forces personnel get the resources and support that they need.  

People talk about the quality of training that our forces receive to help them in combat situations, however there are issues that need attention. Whether we are talking about enough body armour of jamming devices to reduce the risk of roadside bombs or on a more mundane level, family housing that meets todays standards of public housing or the right types of facilities and health care.

Government applies itself when faced with appropriate levels of pressure to do so.

And that for what it is worth is why I am supporting the British Legion campaign.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.