Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Moving on »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Moving on
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Moving on  (Read 627 times)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Moving on
« on: Nov 25th, 2006, 8:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I've had the Scorpio for over 2 years now but as a few on here know I've been looking for another car for a few months. I'm coming up to 23 now with growing no claims, I have the good ol'  Mondy for everyday use so looking for a weekend car I can keep for a few years.

The 2.3 is a capable car but I long for more power and something without the mechanical niggles I've become accustomed to. Last week I saw an advert for a '95 Jag XJ Sport 4.0 in a classic car mag. Car was also listed on eBay, here. Listing didn't do the car justice, the condition is near mint and everything has checked out genuine even though the asking price (and reserve) of £4k is a tad above average. The Sport is between an Executive and a Sovereign but this car has been a limousine (hence the colour) and has a lot of extras, folding mirrors, Sovereign alloys, sunroof etc. It's the best one I've come accross and the power from the straight 6 is magic. 60k total mileage, it purrs like a kitten.

I can't afford to keep 2 cars running so the Scorp will most likely be making an appearence on eBay in the next week or two. So I'm poor and happy this weekend, planning the bank robbery on Wednesday of Thursday to pay for it all...

I just want to send out a big thanks to all who've helped me out in the past months and I hope it's ok if I still hang around a bit Wink

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Moving on
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:04pm »

hi bruce

good luck with the new car. and yes, you need to pop in every now and again! Grin

regards
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:31pm »

Who am I going to argue with now!! Grin

Pop back and tell us how the Jags going
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:52pm »

Shame to see the Scorp is going but wow, what a car. Can I have a go  Grin  

Stick around mate anyway  Wink
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 11:11pm »

Sorry to see you go Bruce

You still qualify as a virtual member as long as you keep working on the virtual Scorp Wink don't be a stranger.

Nice looking Jag, just a little curious, does it really have cruise control? I thought the buttons were on the wheel.
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 3:23am »

Bruce.... stick around mate

Even though you won't be a Scorp owner anymore, you still know alot about the car & your knowledge can still help others  Smiley

Especially newbies & halfwits like me  Wink
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 8:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the tips you've given me Bruce, and I hope that you enjoy the Jag. Had one years ago (Mk2 4.2 Inspector Morse type)....was a great car. I still think Jag engineering is about the best going.

Sure we'll all be glad to still see you on here.

When's the race!!! ROFL  ROFL  ROFL
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 7:23pm »

Thanks all, I know it's a bit of a plunge with the Jag but I've wanted one since I was a kid and I really miss my series 3 now. I look after my motors (can't afford not to Wink), if I didn't have the Mondeo I'd keep the Scorpio as my daily driver but the Mondy doesn't really belong to me and the word is it has to stay. Now I've got to sell the Scorpio it's running perfect, the autobox thump has cleared and it's running silky smooth, polished it up the other day and I'm starting to regret losing it now Cry. If it doesn't sell mabye I'll cover it up and hang onto it a while longer. If I do sell though, whoever gets it is getting a good car, I live in hope they'll turn up on here Smiley

Geoff, the car does have the cruise control on the panel below the dash, although it's badged as a Sport it has the comfort pack etc and has a spec similar to a Sovereign (hence the headlamp washers and wood trim on the steering wheel). I was dubious myself at first but all the paperwork is there and everything seems to check out. Also the auto shifts smoothly and the fluid is a nice slightly dirty red...yipee Cheesy

The eBay listing doesn't do the car justice, it's an ex fleet limousine (hence the aerial plate on the rear window), the owner is an enthusiast and bought 2 of them for a business venture, he also had an XJ40 3.2 Gold and a facelift XJS on the drive, all mint and covered. I checked all the usual places and it looks good, no rust on the sills or arches, no overspray and the engine is almost silent, I've seen a few V8 3.2's and they tend to sound tappety even before you hit the Nikasil or chain tensioner problem. Straight 6 is older tech but far safer.

I'm hoping it works out well, all I need to do now is work out how to pay for it Wink. Got the insurance sorted today, I nearly fell through the floor. Fully comp for the Scorpio costs me just over £800, I'm happy with it, 22, 2 years no claims etc; went on Lancaster.co.uk and got one fully comp on classic car insurance:

£490 Shocked

Double checked it all and it's true, the only catch being £500 excess (I'm on £350 now). The Jag is classed as a 'modern classic' and low risk, I just hope the chavs don't work it out and start buying 4 litre XJ's to chuck around backstreets, I like my nice quiet quality cars Roll Eyes

I'm picking it up Wednesday all being well, I'll let you know how it goes. And I'll still be around on here, I'm on the net most nights while studying and I could never forget my Scorpio Wink

Regards, Bruce Smiley
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
nic

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 10:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Bruce,

I have done the same thing, I have kept the estate car as I am working on the house and it is too practical.

But for nice days and holidays I have bought a 2000 XJR V8 in pacific blue, again off ebay. Cracking motor, fastest I have been in and nicest drive ever.
So far no problems apart from a powerfold mirror that forgets wher it lives and I might need some tyres on the back soon  Grin.

Mine has had the engine change by Jag under recal as it was just on the change and has also had the chains and tensioners changed as well costing some poor sap £1300.

I even got the original bill for .... wait for it £53,000 six years ago, and I only paid £6000.

I drove a 3.2 V8 sport before I bought this and liked it.
On the note of insurance I was paying £1100 for the scorp and the wifes passat 130 sport. I am now paying £1000 for the Jag, Scorp anp Passat on a multi car policy from admiral, wheres the sense in that.

Enjoy it and if you ever see a blue XJR flying around give me a flash.

Nic

IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 9:50am »

Thats brilliant Nic, talk about a bargain, I could consider that and like you I'd keep the hearse for its practicality issues.

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 1:49pm »

What a fab looking motor, if i had seats like those and all those button and switches you wouldn't get me out for love nor money Wink You've got me sold, a jag is next on my list (a diesel and manual of course though)  Grin

Hope it all goes well and stick around  Smiley

Matt
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 7:26pm »

Hey all.

Picked up the Jag today and what can I say... Roll Eyes

It came with 2 sets of keys and working keyfobs, even has the valet key and handbook folders. In the old paperwork it turns out it was used as a wedding car, reg JCM 731, there's still a set of white ribbons in the glovebox. It drives perfect, tons of power, the engine changes up at just 1200rpm and the low end growl is magic. I put £40 of unleaded in the tank when I picked it up and after 40 miles, the needle has barely moved, I'm getting 25mpg Shocked. I'm not a lead foot driver by nature, I'm happy to poodle along at 30mph and enjoy the ride but the power reserve is there if needed...  

Nic, The XJR is one of the best Jags ever built, you are very lucky to get a car in that condition with both V8 woes sorted. I saw a few 3.2 XJ8's but the 4.0 is the one to have in both models, I would love an XJR but the 250 or so horses from the straight 6 is enough for me, I'm in love with it big time. Oh, and the pass side powerfold mirror on mine has forgotten too, I'll attack it with a screwdriver one day and get it to remember Cheesy

Other than that the car is almost perfect but I know I'm going to miss the Scorpio, I'm already missing the remote boot popper and audio stalk on the steering wheel but things have to move on, I'm going to hang onto the Scorp for a few weeks longer and whoever gets it when I finally let it go is getting a good car Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.