Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:17pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Road Pricing - Have a look at this WE GOT A RESULT »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Road Pricing - Have a look at this WE GOT A RESULT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Road Pricing - Have a look at this WE GOT A RESULT  (Read 2981 times)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Road Pricing - Have a look at this WE GOT A RESULT
« on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know this will impact us all in one way or another, I will leave it to the moderators (Happy New Year Chaps)  Grin to decide if this is the right place or wether it should be off topic.

Our blessed PM Tony has commissioned a website for petitions from us common folk where we can vote on line about what troubles us.

The largest on line at the moment is proposing that satelite tracking and road pricing as a cash grabbing tax scheme should be abandoned  

See Here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/02/nroads02 .xml

And the petition is here...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Now I suspect that somebody in the Ministry of Transport or the Treasury is hoping that people will snooze their way past this but over 70,000 (edit now 77,055 edit now 79885 edit now 83009 edit now 86995 edit now 88015 now 101716) have already spotted it and signed up. It is only available until February

Have a look and tell them what you think. Or just wait and watch it happen.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Road Pricing - Have a look at this
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:37pm »

I think it is a worthy News story and should be signed by anyone who drives a car..... Unfortunately I reckon it will probably be implimented and the Tories will not get rid because of the amount of extra cash it will generate to replace all the cigarette tax now that 16 year olds won't be able to buy fags till they are 18!!(tongue in cheek by the way!!)
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:09pm »

Fair comment Baz but if we sit still for it we get what we deserve.

Well fuel duty and vehicle excise duty already go into Gordons coffers and he had a lucky escape in the European court on the mail order/ internet shopping appeal, maybe we can see the tax burden reduce through more efficient government   ROFL
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:24pm »

I think that the government are already losing huge amounts of tax from tobacco sales & have been for years......I don't know anyone that buys it in shops anymore.

Most people go to Belgium to buy it, don't they....like I do  Wink

Imagine if everyone gave up smoking & drinking.......petrol would probably be £10 a gallon & council tax would be higher than your morgage repayments  Roll Eyes

P.S. I gladly signed it.....I wonder if it will affect my credit history Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:30pm »

Jonny I know what you mean, there are some parts of the country where 50 - 60% of booze and tobacco is personal import.

Well maybe if our government learned to spend our money wisely instead of just spending it........Aaaagh!!!
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 1:23am »

But that goes for every government not just this one (which I really do deplore.....) I reckon the people should be allowed to have a get out clause in our votes that if after 2 years of a parliament we think the government are just a corrupt bunch of freeloading pocket liners, we could recinde our votes and force an election. 4 years is too long. Just think, we have to possibly put up with the slack jawed Brown leading us for 2 years after that nice Mr Blair decides to stand down!! so Gordons report would read: "10 years bleeding us, 2 years leading us!!"

And I think I will move this to off topic subjects.... Sorry Geoff!!
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 11:42am »

No problem Barry.

The post is starting to look a little bit more like an off topic one any way.

78758 Signatures at 11.40am on the 3rd and the site keeps timing out so I guess it is getting a lot of hits, chance to take part in a sort of democracy so go and have a look folks  Wink You know it makes sense  Grin
IP Logged

macroy

White 24v Ultima Cosworth Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 12:22pm »

Same thing over and over again.Hit the motorist,Hit the smoker,Hit the drinker,and then Hit them some more and if there is anything else we can tax,then tax it.They make me sick. Roy.Angry
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 2:09pm »

Jonny & Roy

We get taxed because some of the things we pay for make sense Defense (though the money does not seem to reach those that need it), Health, Education, Social Care (whatever that means),and all the other guff pops up as stealth taxes.

Actually if everybody gave up smoking (coffin nails, cancer sticks etc) our tax bill would drop because of the reduction in cardiac and asthma / breathing related diseases. (But with people living longer and in better health other things would start to kill us off and actually for those people that get a calm moment from having a ciggy would be running up big bills on other types of pharmaceuticals).

On the booze front well a slice of folk just don't handle it well and then wander about doing stupid things, picking fights and acting like richard heads. ( In some areas at weekends 50-60% of A&E activity links up to overindulgence and a big slice of the ones that are drunk and agressive are not paying taxes to fund the NHS anyhow)

For all the sober calm charming members of the Scorpio community this does not mean you Roll Eyes

Council Tax well we are in for another hit this year partly because for some people it is easier to stick the tax up than manage what they already have smarter. In my neck of the woods Council Tax has literally doubled in the last ten years.

Now the vested interests on this road charging fiasco are the government, the technology companies that want to put in the infrastructure and the academics who see this as a nice way of getting grants for bits of research.  

Apparently we in the UK are going to trial this so that it can roll out across the rest of Europe, the satellites are paid for it just needs the black boxes fitting and I expect each of us will have to pay for that pleasure as well and the problem is that a lot of folk are just wombling along and don't have a clue  

Rant over for now.

Geoff Undecided
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:50pm »

not sure if i agree wiv the smokin bit geoff,

if theres between 12 and 20 million smokers (dont know if that includes cigars n pipes) so say 15 million. lets say they smoke 20 a day at roughly 4 quid on each pack as tax, thats 60 million squids tax per day, times that by 365, that equals a lot (my calc wouldnt do it lol).
its often said that the revenue from tobacco cud build and run 10 new hospitals per year. i dont know if thats true, however, theres lots to take into account, probably more so from outpatients (as you mentioned asthma etc) with ongoing treatment more than the terminal in wards from smoking.
but lets face it, every government loves a smoker, they pay exhorbitent tax throughout their lives, then its very nice of them to die early so they take less pension.
i find it interesting that this government has increased and invented all sorts of taxes, seems to coincide with more people like me buying there tobacco in belgium; costs me around 2 quid a pouch there, about 10 quid here.
i find the political future of this country a tad worrying, most of us dont want blair (or brown), but whats the alternative? the conservatives? well they lost my future vote as soon as they said they would bring back that barbaric mentally retarded blood thirsty pastime.....fox hunting. not as if blair actually banned it though, more of a ladyboy whimper attempt.
the liberals? sorry, silly thought lol.

oh well, back to the actual topic; i find it disconcerting that blair feels the need to do this vote thing online, he already knows the reply to it.
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:54pm »

'Council Tax well we are in for another hit this year partly because for some people it is easier to stick the tax up than manage what they already have smarter. In my neck of the woods Council Tax has literally doubled in the last ten years. '

how very true, exactly the same can be said for the nhs, this current gov proudly throws increasing billions at it, but it still fails. doesnt matter how much is thrown at it if it isnt managed correctly.
IP Logged

TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 8:21pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2007, 7:54pm, taliban wrote:
'Council Tax well we are in for another hit this year

The council tax on our place is rising to nearly £2k a year, it isn't a mansion for Gods sake Angry

Add that to road tax, fuel duty and all the other 1 million or so stealth taxes and you see why so many people in this country live barely above the poverty line. This charging per mile thing really gets my back up, surely fuel duty is proportional to the amount of so called greenhouse gases a car puts out. A tank of fuel in the Jag normally costs me about £50, if they really want to punish souls like me for owning a second car to drive around at weekends then surely fuel duty is the most profitable way to do it, the more you use the more you pay...

...But they've now realised that make fuel expensive enough and people will go and buy smaller cars or go for alternate fuels. Hence charging per mile, with the added advantage of putting a box inside your car to record every journey you make, along with the proposed ID cards, the photocard driving license and new passport. I don't like this thing when I drive past a police car now and I can see them scanning my plate and waiting...alas, not to see if my car's been stolen, waiting to see if they can pull me over and trick me into a hole because my tax disc's out of date, I've skipped a parking ticket or my car is really registered in my girlfriend's name to make the insurance cheaper.

Now we have a mass of people on this blind 'save the world' crusade because large companies have just realised how much profit there is to be made out of people's fears...this will make a few company bosses and ageing rock stars hideously rich. Mabye we really will get cooked in our own slow bake oven but I don't think a tiny island like the UK could make the blindest bit of difference to what is touted as a worldwide phenomenon...  

Aaahhhhh...I should apply for a slot on Talk Sport...the world is a darker place since the loss of Britain's angriest man Cry

Regards, Bruce Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:34pm »

Regardless of the other taxes that we have this one is still at a stage where we can make politicians regardless of colour wobble.

Yes they want our money, yes they want to know where we are and what we are doing and how fast, but its worth having a go.

If you have'nt visited the site yet please go and have a look, it was over 80,000 votes by 5pm. If the link gives you an error page please keep trying, it is a government website after all, and the government are poor at IT.

Tell anybody you know that has to pay for their own motoring about it.

Geoff
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:40pm »

Agree

Done it Geoff, the least we should all do Wink
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:44pm »

Nice one Bruce  Wink

83009 and still counting
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 1:48pm »

Talib

I knew I was on shaky ground with smoking  Wink  but there is still no reason for Blair to push through road pricing when they are already using fuel duty as an inhibitor/source of revenue.  

The other thing is that I am concerned at the way that this government are nibbling away at our civil liberties and our pockets and the idea of compulsory satellite tracking linked to road  pricing.

The main thing is that with TB doing this on line we can send a message, he can ignore it but at least we are marking the cards of those that follow him.

Geoff
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 6:47pm »

quite agree geoff, the thing that worries me is its an un advertised online 'vote', aimed at not reaching the whole audience for a reason...
IP Logged

dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 6:56pm »

Tiberius....I'm with you on all your comments.
Re road pricing....if(when) it comes in they use a GPS based system then that will know what the speed limit is and how fast you are going....result squillions of cash, huge congestion and a happy Scottish forum member...... (none intended Tongue)
NB Last figures I heard smoking related diseases cost the NHS £1.5billion annually and smokers pay @£7.5billion in taxes. And as has been pointed out they have the good grace to die earlier and claim less pension. (It begs the question why are "we" so reviledHuh)
Off to Tony's "Consultation exercise" now to regiister my futile disgust Angry
Catch you all later
DH Dove
PS Have you put bricks in your fuel tank to save on petrol a la 1976 drought? It costs me £80.00 to fill the XJS Roll Eyes
IP Logged
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 4th, 2007, 7:21pm »

on Jan 4th, 2007, 6:56pm, dh_dove wrote:
result squillions of cash, huge congestion and a happy Scottish forum member...... (none intended Tongue)

LOL, I wonder who that could be thenHuh  

I do however remember the ancient words "If you speed, you deserve to get caught" Wink

on Jan 4th, 2007, 6:56pm, dh_dove wrote:
PS Have you put bricks in your fuel tank to save on petrol a la 1976 drought? It costs me £80.00 to fill the XJS Roll Eyes

Come to think of it Dove, I haven't tried that one yet, couldn't squeeze the bricks down the hole Grin. The biggest shock I had was the day after I bought it when I could see the fuel needle dropping before my eyes...alas, fuel economy!...If only someone had said the fuel senders on the X300 are nearly always faulty Roll Eyes

I normally get it tanked up at a quarter, costs me around £50. I'm still getting mid 20's MPG out of the beast, mabye my driving shoes have feathers attached to save the world from certain slow baking?

Happy driving Wink

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jan 5th, 2007, 6:18pm »

Bruce
OK Sounds like you have a bad case of nineties Jaguar dodgy gauges, they really are hopeless. It amazes me that a "quality" manufacturer could take such a big step back. Only problem, dodgy gauges coincident with Ford takeover Lips Sealed
All late XJS owners know never to believe what the gauges tell them. We calibrate them ourselves.......brim tank, set trip, do 100, 200, miles etc take note of needle position, brim tank again check fuel input and do the arithmatic. It's the only way of knowing what your gauge is actually telling you.  
Best bit is the same goes for the engine temp. oil pressure etc. etc. Roll Eyes
Still, nothing beats giving an AJ16 a good thrash (apart from doing the same to the Cossie!!!). Always bearing in mind prevailing speed limits  NoNo
Regards and enjoy your big cat. Cool
DH Dove  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  5 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.