Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Comet PLC »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Comet PLC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Comet PLC  (Read 2225 times)
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Comet PLC
« on: Jan 17th, 2007, 3:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok, so i need a new freezer, comet has a deal on an LG £700 reduced to £430, bargain ! i go into the store last thursday, they have one in stock, i reserve it and say i will pick it up early this week. do you want a deposit? no sir, just pay when you pick it up.

i hire the van, go to comet this lunchtime, yes sir, its waiting for you, go to pay, its £700. yes sir, sale has ended. they wont budge. i am now out of pocket £24 for the van for the day, plus have £100 in tokens i stupidly took with them.....

i have written to the MD, but dont hold out much hope

MUPPETS  Angry
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Comet PLC
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 4:37pm »

Tintin, they aren't the first firm to pull a stroke like that. It's easy to be wise afterwards but the best thing to do is to always get your name on a receipt of some kind with the price stated. They might have you there on the legal side because you didn't actually complete the purchase before the sale ended...cunning swines Angry.  

I had a similar thing with Ford when I had my autobox episode, pestered the hell out of them all week to get it done and when I went up on the Friday to pick it up they'd bumped £185 onto the price. Asked them what it was for and they said filters and oil...luckily I had the original (signed) invoice from when I booked it stating £1460, 'all in'...

Good luck getting it sorted Smiley

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 4:53pm »

yeah, i know, nothing in writing, but i think in scotland verbal agreement is binding (whereas in england i think it isnt),  

not really too bothered, as i am going to have lots of fun telling everyone i know, so their cheapness will cost them more in sales hopefully. plus i have enough time to keep sending them letters to take up their time and inconvenience them as they inconvenienced me.

its more the principle of the thing !! you cant trust anyone these days...... bits of paper dehumanising the population....
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 9:07pm »

what i cant work out is 24 quid for hiring a van for the day Shocked that is cheap!
IP Logged

TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 9:19pm »

Hmmm...that crossed my mind too Roll Eyes

When we moved the other year it cost us about £60 to hire a standard Transit box for a day...ended up hiring it for 2 days and getting another to help shift all our stuff.....
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 9:50pm »

work has a deal with them, we get very good prices.... i dropped it back having done 24 miles, hadnt put in any fuel..... dont worry about it sir, you only had it a half day.... first bit of good news all day (until Highlander PM'd me  Grin)
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 8:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Comet are the pits of the Home Electrical world.

I am another customer who will never darken their door again. When they want to sell you something, it's all smiles and toothy grins, but when anything goes wrong, they don't want to know.

Writing to the MD is your best move. Adverse publicity is also a very heavy duty weapon, as a firm in Norfolk is finding out at this very moment in my own particular issue with MATTRESSMAN.........!!

NEVER give up hassling these firms is my advice.I actually parked my Land Rover outside Comet (like RIGHT outside their main doors) for 4 hours, covered in A3 sheets of paper detailing the issue I had with them, and it's amazing how much effect it has when people stop to read it. They just go away again. I reckon I cost them thousands that day.

They called the police, but as it was a peaceful protest on private land, they wouldn't act on it.

In the end they coughed up the new unit I wanted, but not in good favour!!  

They made it pretty clear that I wasn't welcome as a future customer..............as if I'd want to be!!  Grin  Grin

I don't mess with tossers like this. Good luck. Keep us posted.
IP Logged
barrie

24V The only way to fly

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 12:01pm »

Tell them you are going to contact Watchdog, and get in touch with Trading standards
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 12:28pm »

...will be the next step, the letter went yesterday to the MD, it mentioned ombudsman if not satisfied etc

will give him a chance to make good, otherwise its posting all over the web, talk to the ombudsman, continuing a stream of letters to the company etc
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
barrie

24V The only way to fly

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 2:40pm »

Top man, dont let em get away with it
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 11:58am »

just had a phone call from the MDs office, they can see both sides of the argument, the store are saying they reserved it until monday (i said early next week at the time), then it reverted to normal price.

cant offer me the sale price any more, but will give me 20% off any fridge freezer i buy from them. guess i will take that, as is a reasonable discount, but probably wont use them again....
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 12:01pm »

Go somewhere else and tell them you are about to go public with your Comet dealings and see what price they'll give you for mentioning their generosity Wink
Most places will jump on the chance to publicly get one over on the "opposition" Wink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 12:07pm »

would do, but still have £100 of comet tokens, plus all the hassle, at this stage i just want something to keep my food cold  Grin can buy one today 20% + £100 off and pick it up tomorrow......

usual story, we give up because it causes us too much pain, but sometimes its nose biting to spite face scenario.
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
TiberiuS

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 8:29pm »

Well, might not be the perfect outcome but it's better than the proverbial kick in the teeth Wink

I would have kidnapped the Comet area manager and stuffed him into the cavernous boot of the Scorpio though Roll Eyes
IP Logged

tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 11:32pm »

thats tomorrows job  Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
hepburn

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 3:12am »

bought a tumble dryer from comet. it failed, beyond repair, some 8 months later. comet said go to any local store and choose another one.  

went to store, picked another, only to be told i would have to pay a delivery charge!  Cheeky sods.  I argued the point and eventually got free delivery but they still insisted the new tumble dryer would only be warranted for the remainder of the 12 months from the date of the original one.  

These days I buy electrical stuff elsewhere, like at John Lewis, but still pop into comet occasionally to ask the muppets some technical questions they haven't got a clue on...  hehe

ps: Carpet right tried to rip me off recently.  I wanted some carpet edging trim and they wanted £22.95 for an 8ft length.  Wickes wanted 8.99 for the same thing.  I won't be shopping at carpet right in a long time...
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 8:16pm »

they still insisted the new tumble dryer would only be warranted for the remainder of the 12 months from the date of the original one.    

dunno how long ago you're talking about, but i would think that is illegal, its a brand new item, even the manufacturers warranty would be 12 months.

this comet story is quite an amazing show of diabolical customer relations; ok, they're within their rights to ask the full price as no deposit etc was paid, but so what. sale prices are determined as are the products months in advance, the accounts dept will have worked out the companies margins based on all sale stock being sold at the lower price. sounds like the store manager is trying to keep his figures looking good, at the expense of customer service, and more importantly future custom. i seem to remember being told once if a customer receives bad service, they tell approx 8 people. if they receive good service, they tell approx 2 people.
i find it quite amazing that big companies retain this backward attitude with internet shopping on the increase.....
IP Logged

tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 6:57pm »

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l230/tintin74/DSC00106.jpg

it fits, it fits !!! was a hard slog up the two flights of stairs though.....
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
wickedteen

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 9:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

you were lucky i deliver these for curry's and i find any excuse i can not to deliver them, there a pain in the ass
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 26th, 2007, 9:40pm »

yep, lots of shouts of "pivot", removing the doors (electrics and hoses) and 1hr later......builds up a thirst though.....
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.