Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:27pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Tail-gating...... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Tail-gating......
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tail-gating......  (Read 1976 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Tail-gating......
« on: Mar 8th, 2007, 5:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is it just that I'm getting older (40 in November) & look in my rear view mirror more often, or is tail-gating getting worse  Undecided

It doesn't seem to matter if I stick to the speed limit, or at night may go 5-10 mph over the limit....I always get someone right up my arse, who seems to want to invade my personal space (you know what I mean  Wink).

Is it because I drive a facelift Scorpio & they want to get a real good look at those rear lights, or do they honestly think, that if I slammed my brakes on suddenly then they are that good at mind reading that they will brake at exactly the same.... Huh

Don't they teach the 2 second rule anymore...& if they do...why do so many drivers take no notice of it ? Huh

It's no wonder insurance companies are rubbing their hands in glee when it comes to rear end shunts......the whiplash injuries are worth more to them than the payout for the repairs  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Tail-gating......
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 7:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, I agree. These people are a total danger and menace on the roads.  

When I drive, I use all lanes properly, and always pull back to the left hand lane whenever possible in view of traffic conditions. But these morons will often scream up behind you, whilst you are overtaking and sometimes even flash their lights at you in the arrogant belief that you will move over for them.

I will not be coerced into driving above speed limits for arrogant thingys like this, and they can flash all they like, and get as hot under the collar as they like. Basically, they are bad drivers who have no respect for anyone else. I move over when I have completed my overtake, and not until. After all, where the hell are you supposed to go when you are overtaking alongside a 32 tonne truck for God's sake?  Angry

Morons. Arrogant Morons. No other word for them.  

One thing's for sure. IF I DO get hit by one of them, I will take them for every penny that I can get. Neck injuries, vehicle damage, time off work (and there will be LOTS of THAT), taxis everywhere, and anything else that I can think of.

THAT is the only way to really hurt them, but if you are looking to sort out their weird heads.........Forget it!  Wink

IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 8:14am »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 7:52am, Spannerdemon wrote:

When I drive, I use all lanes properly, and always pull back to the left hand lane whenever possible in view of traffic conditions.  

Me too and it's a pet hate of mine - the middle lane hoggers, and they are predominatly young women and old men (on the M25 anyway!)

Not so long ago I stayed in the inside lane which was going faster than the overtaking lanes for no other reason than no one would move back in! (plenty of room as well!)

As for tail gateing - this weekend we was on the M3 - peeing down with bad visibility an they were still at it (Mainly BMWs!!) - madness! Angry

Dave
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 10:11am »

Agree
Totally agree with everything you say, as for the BMW, I always interpret this as an accronym,   BRAINLESS MAN WITHIN.... Shocked

Maybe I shouldn't Tongue

pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 1:08pm »

i also hate people that change lane without looking/giving consideration, or indicating right in front of me, normally while im driving 13 tonne of double decker leaving me with a few foot of braking distance, and they do it without a care in the world, as if its their right. i think one day i'll use the same attitude and not slow down, even at 10mph 13 tonnes is a lot of mass, i might see how good bmw crumple zones are  Grin
IP Logged

Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 1:38pm »

ROFLROFL

It can't be that difficult to signal first and then check the mirrors to make sure one won't be cutting in front of someone before changing lanes. And ofcourse, live by the tip my driving instructor gave me. If you can't see what's coming in front of the car in front of you, you're too close.
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 6:04pm »

Kjetil S
Isn't that MIRROR....SIGNAL........MANOEUVRE  Shocked Shocked  
You should give your driving instructor a boll***ing Grin
DH Dove
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 6:23pm »

i dont get it the tailgating much in the scorp, but if im in the mini (the real one, not the fake ones), omg every BMW seems to want to bully me out of the outside lane, even if there is a long queue in front of me.  

its just too much fun on the B roads watching them trying to keep up round the corners with their fast entry speeds and braking on the corners, they dont stand a chance  Grin

my pet hate is people that dont pull over for blues & twos, then try to follow behind them once they are past. round the bypass yesterday, i pulled over early for an ambulance, saw someone tailgating the ambulance (BMW) !! pulled straight back out in front of them and went at 40mph. they were flashing,waving at me, how friendly i thought, so i waved back  Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 6:36pm »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 6:04pm, dh_dove wrote:
Kjetil S
Isn't that MIRROR....SIGNAL........MANOEUVRE  Shocked Shocked  
You should give your driving instructor a boll***ing Grin
DH Dove

Ofcourse, but. If you do mirror, signal, manouvre on the motorway, you risk cutting someone off which suddenly found that they wanted to pass you, therefore I do the mirror check as the last thing before I turn the wheel. Ofcourse checking the mirror _before_ signalling too though  Smiley

Should perhaps be:

mirror, signal, mirror, manouvre, mirror, signal off, mirror  Grin

IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 6:40pm »

tintin
wonder who was in that car........................?
DH Dove
IP Logged
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 7:00pm »

Kjetil S
Well it's certainly true that on todays roads you need eyes in the back of your head, I think a constant check on your mirror is a good way to keep yourself safe. Smiley
My pet hate on Motorways is people WHO WILL NOT KEEP LEFT, effectively most of our motorways operate on two lanes because ignorant ******** will not pull over into the inside lane.
In too many cases it's the "I'm doing 70mph so I can stay here" syndrome. ie You will break the speed limit if you want to overtake me, so I'll stay here as long as I want irrespective, GRRRRRRRRR  Lips Sealed
Even the Police accept that 80mph is OK on the motorway in appropriate conditions and to block the road just causes jams, solution.......congestion charges Angry
I think that these people are beyond re-training, there are only two solutions
1 The Police should impose stringent fines for NOT KEEPING LEFT
2 Introduce all lane overtaking as in the US.
DH Dove
IP Logged
fallendark

1995 2.0 16v Ultima Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 7:53pm »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 7:00pm, dh_dove wrote:
Kjetil S
Well it's certainly true that on todays roads you need eyes in the back of your head, I think a constant check on your mirror is a good way to keep yourself safe. Smiley
My pet hate on Motorways is people WHO WILL NOT KEEP LEFT, effectively most of our motorways operate on two lanes because ignorant ******** will not pull over into the inside lane.
In too many cases it's the "I'm doing 70mph so I can stay here" syndrome. ie You will break the speed limit if you want to overtake me, so I'll stay here as long as I want irrespective, GRRRRRRRRR  Lips Sealed
Even the Police accept that 80mph is OK on the motorway in appropriate conditions and to block the road just causes jams, solution.......congestion charges Angry
I think that these people are beyond re-training, there are only two solutions
1 The Police should impose stringent fines for NOT KEEPING LEFT
2 Introduce all lane overtaking as in the US.
DH Dove

Its the people that indicate to pull over from the fast lane, just as you go to undertake them out of frustration that get to me.. or the type that put their foot down as you come up the inside lol

IP Logged

"We live in a dog town and its a dalmation parade"
hepburn

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 11:16pm »

I was once tailgated at 70-80mph on the A12 by a couple in a 4x4 with a small kid standing up between them.  suffice to say a quick 999 call and 5 miles later they had been pulled over Wink

Don't know the outcome but hope they had the book thrown at them...
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 1:46am »

pmsl, tintin, that was probably a doctor or plain clothes police on the way to the scene of an accident, thats why he was waving at you  Grin

fallen, theres no such thing as a fast lane on uk motorways.....

reading all the replies about changing lane.....its quite interesting that none of us mention or probably do the over shoulder life saver to check the blind spot......

i must admit motorbike wise i feel far safer on european roads than i do here; the first thing i noticed in france was the tailgating, they nearly all seem to do it, however, apart from that they are so much more aware of whats going on around them. the times i've gone to overtake in france, holland etc only for the driver to wave me past because they use their mirrors, whereas over here the sound of my exhaust makes the car driver jump because they havent a clue about whats behind them etc....
IP Logged

tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 8:01am »

only if he had his girlfriend in the car, cruised for 20 mins earlier with all the other "home" traffic before refusing to yield to the ambulance for a while, then pulling in and straight back out .... Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
pinto

TD04 on a galaxy manifold ? whooooooosh !

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 8:56am »

on Mar 8th, 2007, 6:40pm, dh_dove wrote:
tintin
wonder who was in that car........................?
DH Dove

Some chav in a White BMW with naff body decals and a flashing blue roof neon ?  ROFL

my response to tailgating is a simple one Smiley...i slow down...and down...and down....with each flash and hand gesture Cheesy

You should see them when you reach about 24 mph in a 40 zone...look like they're at a rave  Grin
IP Logged
big_neil

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 9th, 2007, 11:33am »

indicators are a joke ,you only have to move one finger about an inch to use them but a lot of people can,t be bothered, another problem i find is the highway code says when your overtaking on a motorway return to the inside lane as soon as practically possible, surely when the motorway is quite busy remaining in the centre lane is more sensible and safer than in and out of lanes like the hokey cokey. i know you read conditions as they are but some drivers go in and out every couple of hundred yards and if someone wants past you there,s always  the overtaking lane.
IP Logged
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 2:57pm »

Big Neil
Re changing lanes.........APOLOGIES I am one of those people, I use all three lanes and return to the inside (Lane #1) as soon as is practicable. I believe that's what the big round thing in front of you is for Undecided
Re Indicators...I couldn't agree with you more. Where we live there are a lot of roundabouts and we are always amazed at the number of people that have bought those "special limited edition" cars that had the NO INDICATORS option fitted........ Huh
None Intended
DH Dove
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10th, 2007, 8:10pm »

I get the tailgating thing too. Maybe I'm really lucky but I had a really good instructor (ex-army) and the things he said about signalling and distance I still remember. What really got me in the bad snow/fog the other week was that there were people in the thick fog with no lights on, sitting right up the six of the car in front...the same people who drive with sidelights and fogs on in broad daylight it seems...no wonder we have carnage on the A12 every week.

Strange thing is that when I used to drive my Aunt's Fiesta in London I used to get carved up like the Sunday roast...

I'm not really a fast driver, got over that thing in my first few months behind the wheel Kiss. But, I've had a couple of times lately where I've had people behind me who know no better it seems, seem to think I'm driving some old land yacht... mucho fun to take off in full flight from 50mph but I know from experience that if you do this, you just end up doing stupidly illegal speeds and the person behind never seems to learn when they eventually catch up. Best thing to do when you get this and you're already doing over the limit is just to slow to the limit and stay there...they soon get the message Smiley.

Two things that really get me on the roads:

The people on A roads going slow (like 40-45 in a 60) and when you move to overtake they move to the centre to block you, like you've got no right to get past...had this a couple of times lately.

The people who go around an entire roundabout in the left lane, right to the last exit. There's a big roundabout just up the road from here and the number of times I've been gestured at and nearly hit up the six by people who speed right around the outside and won't even give way when you indicate left at the exit.

Ahhh...

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 3:04am »

ooooh dont get me started on roundabouts and the totally ignored 12 'o' clock rule.......
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.