Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Inside Longbridge »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Inside Longbridge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Inside Longbridge  (Read 1204 times)
granorpio

1998 Silver Facelift Cosworth

View Profile

Inside Longbridge
« on: Mar 11th, 2007, 11:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Recent photos taken from inside the now deserted Rover plant.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=306199

http://www.photoaddiction.co.uk/

What a  waste, especially for those enthusiasts out there in years to come.
IP Logged

- Mike -

So nearly said "goodbye" but now Scorpio will see another day, alongside the replacement! eek!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Inside Longbridge
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 11:37am »

some photos there!! really good find, mike.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2007, 10:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

That is really sad, and another lesson to all these bloody unions who are always holding strikes in the UK.

Yes, cheap labour IS now in China, Eastern Europe etc, but we hand it to them on a plate every time the workforce downs tools, and production goes down the pan, because some useless t****r calls 'strike', and the workforce follow them like sheep.

Then they wonder why the jobs go abroad. It's not rocket science.

Remember, Shipbuilding, Coal Mining, Engineering, and Car Production (as here)!!

I remember when I used to ride motorcycles. BRITISH motorcycles. Triumphs, BSA's and Nortons. They all said that the Japanese bikes would never get a foothold in Britain!!!

Yeah........Right!!!  Roll Eyes  NOW go and find British bikes in the showrooms.

Time this country woke up to the shambles that it gets itself into sometimes  due to bolshy union activists, clinging on to their self-important little 'jobs' who are about as out of date as Dinosaurs. Smiley
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 1:01pm »

hi there

i need to disagree with you there regarding the union. yes, sometimes they get carried away with themselves, but most of the time, the 'bosses' force them into a corner.

take the latest rail strike in scotland. they have an agreement with network rail in england/wales but the company doesn't want to use it in scotland. yet it's all one company. go figure that out. Angry

i think there's a place for the union, but the union need to be flexible as well.
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 4:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I take your point, but personally I could never work for any organisation that had that kind of hold over my work.

I think sometimes, as you rightly say, that the bosses and unions want to get together in a cool dark room, and sort out their differences in a more amenable way. Too often, confrontation wins, and the end result is fewer and fewer jobs all round.

The shiny-assed pen pushers and accountants are the winners every time. I despise accountants. The slime on the face of the earth in my book. Only one level above Estate Agents. Money is all that matters to them. People are unimportant, unless of course THEY are in danger of losing their jobs.

Longbridge was a mess for years, but I still think it could have been there today making some marque of British cars with the right management, and not those cheating sods who fiddled it.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12th, 2007, 6:17pm »

It's the same with most British owned companies. Heard the news today that Aston will be likely sold to the UK racing team Prodrive, at least they're back in British hands. But the likes of Land Rover and Jaguar face an uncertain time ahead, Jag in particular is losing Ford big bucks and they want rid of both the Cat and Land Rover together, a lot of enthusiasts are hoping the British firm JCB's interest will come to something before they go to Toyota...

It's the same with Rover. All the factions tear the company to bits then it gets sold off to an overseas buyer for next to nothing to pick over the bones and take what they want. You can't blame the overseas investors for seeing the opportunity, it's the fault of the powers that be for letting this happen.

It's a bloody crime, the 75 especially was an ace car but the rumors about it being a badge engineered BMW and about the company going broke never gave it a chance.

Really sad Cry

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 8:21am »

Guys,  

have a look at:
  www.28dayslater.co.uk

and go to the industrial section, have a wade through and there are quite a few Longbridge visits  Shocked
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
dannynic

2.3 Manual Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 4:45pm »

If the unions hadn't been created in the first place we would all be still working for 14 hours a day 6 days a week just to have enough to eat so I'm all for the unions to be honest as long as you rightly say they are sensible which to be fair I think they all are now (certainly the one I'm in anyway, AMICUS). I think the loss of British manufacturing has as much to do with the greed of multinational companies and directors than the unions to be honest as well as the consumers need for constantly cheaper and cheaper products. Undecided
IP Logged

I really want a cosworth!
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 9:12pm »

I gave up on unions years ago. I was in the EETU and worked as an electrical contractor on Kelloggs in Manchester for about 9 years. We had a disagreement with the electrical firm we worked for and picketed the gates. The local rep came to see us and just asked us straight away to go back to work as he didn't want to upset Kelloggs as they had just recognised the EETU!!

Needless to say he got his marching orders. But we still had to stay in the union because I would never have got onto another site if I had ripped my card up. Closed shop is not a good thing for democracy!!

Now as a business owner I know what it is like to employ people and frankly I'd rather be back on that picket line!!
IP Logged
lock3h

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 9:59am »

You see that large flat sarna roof, i fitted that roof Wink

Also fitted the cladding on the new silver building you can see from the m42, which never got used at all, this was the time when BMW taken over the plant and wanted all the cladding changed to silver, the new building was ment for the mini which bmw took.

ive worked at rover for years, well subcontracted.
IP Logged
shaun

shaun

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 8:48pm »

great pics ....
 Cheesy
IP Logged

[IMG]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc140/shau
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.