Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:21pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« St Georges Day holiday ? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   St Georges Day holiday ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: St Georges Day holiday ?  (Read 1384 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

St Georges Day holiday ?
« on: Mar 13th, 2007, 1:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone fancy a day off work on St Georges day (April 23) ?

Well you can vote for one on the link below...

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/voting.asp

IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: St Georges Day holiday ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 1:33am »

worth a go, but i seem to remember receiving that e mail for the past 2 years running......
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 1:48am »

Yea, come to think of it, I've seen it before as well. Must run every year  Wink

Oh well, it's an excuse for a day off work, to celebrate a guy that apparently came from Lebanon, during the crusades & never actually killed any dragons....you'd have to find one first  Roll Eyes....maybe he stamped on a nasty looking lizard... Grin
IP Logged
macroy

White 24v Ultima Cosworth Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 2:21pm »

I could have done with the guy when I was married to my ex mrs.         GrinRoy.
IP Logged
julie_quaife

'97 2.3 16v ultima estate blue azura

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:00pm »

i just voted, catching up on this site as i,ve been ill lately and am behind in reading all the items. i always made my kids wear their brownie uniforms on st. george's day as anyone belonging to the guides/scouting movement have that right. i am fed up hearing about st patricks day with all the associated guinness advertising everywhere you look and then st davids day with charity boxes of daffs on every counter. everyother saint or deity associated with britain seems to be celebrated in some way apart from our st george he may have been a foreigner but he is a figurehead and a symbol of courage and bravery, in my view either allow celebration as others do or ban the lot!!-i am now up-standing with a badly remembered brownie salute-god save the queen!!  land of hope and glory etc; etc; god i,m in last night of the proms mode again!!
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:28pm »

Is there one to vote against it? I employ 6 people and if I have to give them another paid holiday it would cost me about £600.00 plus the cost of lost production....

It is so easy to campaign for all these days off without having to think of how to fund them. We now have the minimum wage, minimum holidays entitlement and god knows how many other bank holidays throughout the year including the two days off at the weekend...

What about voting for a day when employees go into work and work for the entire day for no wages; that way the bosses get something back?

Any takers?

No I thought not!!
IP Logged
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:40pm »

Agree
IP Logged
julie_quaife

'97 2.3 16v ultima estate blue azura

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 4:49pm »

baz, you left out maternity leave, paternity leave, jury service leave, TA leave plus many others i am sure, i am not meaning to be rude or facietious but it did get me thinking when you listed your reply and looking at your side of things i can appreciate your side of the story.  NB one for mrs spannerdemon :the fight is still on down here for an official st pirans day holiday!
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 5:14pm »

Julie,  

you are right about the others... I don't have any female employees at the moment apart from a free lance book keeper who doesn't fall under my remit.

I have had instances of TA holidays as a lot of the guys I have employed are ex forces and we do provide on site experience for forces personnel who are due to leave. This is done on quite a regular basis!

I am only a small company and it does take some finding when you have to provide vehicles and equipment for 6 men along with work clothing and tools and to cap it all there is the holidays and bank holidays and sick pay etc.

Shame the Chancellor can't come up with a one week tax and vat holiday for small businesses where they can nominate a week every year where they get to keep all the VAT and tax generated as long as it is re-invested in the business... what I could do then!!

Plus on top of it all, I have to now compete with companies employing eastern europeans who are happy to work for minimum wage doing a job which is normally paid at twice that rate!  

I'm never going to get my Bentley at this rate!
IP Logged
cleave

am i bovered!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 5:14pm »

im all for it.Its about time british people showed like many other countries of the world that they are proud of there heritage.Last christmas my employer wasnt allowed to decorate the workplace as it was deemed as offinsive to the immigrant workforce,and ive heard that in alot of places this will applt to st georges day too.Paying employees for public holidays etc is part and parcel of being an employer.No disrespect baz,but you sound like you think the minimum wage law is a bad thing?.If we can have time off to dress in white frilly shirts...plus fours...with bells on our feet and dance around a pole..surely an extra day for st georges day is ok? Wink Wink
IP Logged
dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:10pm »

Dear All
Surely there are two discussions here............
English people having no opportunity to celebrate their heritage, as opposed to St. Patrick's /St. David's Day etc. etc.
AND
Employers having to pay for employees Bank Holidays.
As a compromise why not slash the payments to Scotland that allow them to give students tuition free of fees and low Council Tax payments, and slash the payments to Wales that give them free prescriptions?
There again, why not just let them pay for themselves...........could save Miillions Roll Eyes  Sorry, not enough people live there to foot the bills and they can't afford to pay their way.  Sad
Also ask for repayment in full for their overpriced "Assemblies/Parliaments" and make their countrymen pay their representatives wages ROFL ROFL
Then the English could have St George's Day as a Bank Holiday!
Result
DH Dove
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:26pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:10pm, dh_dove wrote:
Dear All
As a compromise why not slash the payments to Scotland that allow them to give students tuition free of fees and low Council Tax payments, and slash the payments to Wales that give them free prescriptions?
There again, why not just let them pay for themselves...........could save Miillions Roll Eyes  Sorry, few people live there and they can't afford to pay their way.  
Also ask for repayment in full for their overpriced "Assemblies/Parliaments" and make their countrymen pay their representatives wages ROFL ROFL
DH Dove

you're having a laugh with all this, aren't you?
IP Logged
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:38pm »

Scorpio Man
Sorry to introduce some discord  but I do feel that The Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is under some stress at the moment , and more particularly The Act of Union  between Scotland and England is under considerable strain.
Look at it from our point of view, if you can please
We are paying massive taxes to fund your benefits. Scottish Parliament, (what exactly does it do apart from keep SMP's in jobsHuh)
You have benefits that we don't have and by and large we are paying for them!
Now we are also paying for benefits for people in Wales that we don't receive
Your parliament was ten times over budget I believe, who do you think paid for it?
Personally I am a bit hacked off Sad
DH Dove
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:47pm »

hi dh

you could look at another way. we all paid for it, because my taxes go to the uk. plus i think so does the north sea oil and gas, etc, etc.... Wink Smiley
IP Logged
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 8:58pm »

Scorpio Man
YES!!!
We all paid for it years ago because the "pot" was shared fairly - by and large.........
I remember the debates over the oil and gas and WHO it belonged to....it might as well be the Norwegians as the Scots as far as I can recall  Grin
Now us poor sods down south seem to be paying the Lion's share and we are not getting much back!  
NB  WHAT DO your SMP's do apart from fill in their expenses claimsHuh I presume that they have possibly a thousand Civil Servants or more keepinng their paperwork sorted?
I really DO NOT MEAN to be offensive to the Scottish People, we have a long and illustrious history together since  1606(?)
I do think that you should realise that the mood is changing in England as we seem to be the fools being taken for a ride at every turn.
I love paying taxes, but there comes a point, if you know what I mean.
DH Dove
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:20pm »

hiv dh

re taxes. i think if you pay tax, then they make sure you don't see any of it back again, regardless of what part of the country you live!  Angry

i think that's one thing we can agree on, at least! Cheesy
IP Logged
dh_dove

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:45pm »

Scorpio Man
Agreed..............
When Gordon Brown becomes PM we'll have to raise the white flag Cry
Perhaps he'll allow us (foolish English) some tax concessions on the grounds that we live"south of the border" and we have been bled so dry over ten years that we have nothing left top give  Sad
Otherwise , I'm thinking of moving to Scotland to take advantage of your more favourable regime......assuming you do not impose Passport Controls in the meantime...... Wink
DH Dove
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 9:49pm »

so do we get to keep the north sea oil?  Grin you can keep trident....

two different agruments here, first is fiscal :

scotland costs england money : careful how you think of cutting up the "revenue" from scotland, the politicians may be lying to you.....although i agree with you on the cost of our parliament, to be honest, im pretty sure all politicians are costing us a fair bit..... im also fairly sure we pay the same tax rate as you. there are a few companies that pay quite a lot of corporation tax that are scottish, (edinburgh is the second biggest finance city after london in the uk, and finance is the mainstay of the UK), but recognised as UK, so arent taken into account in your straw poll (£2bn from Royal Bank of Scotland last year, a company that is now bigger than Coke, and the No.1 corporate tax payer in the UK ). and dont get me started on the north sea oil (the tax from which "economists" allocated almost 100% to england). take that back, lose trident (we were allocated £3bn deficit in defence hah!), and scotland is subsidising england.

second is allocation of funds : if you are arguing that we are spending more on nurses and prescriptions, etc, then thats a rocky place to argue from. we are the ones in the right. dont cry wolf if you are the wolf.....if we chose not to follow the policies set down south by Labour, and benefit from it, perhaps you should follow suit rather than complain. if you think the grass is greener, come on up.

maybe its time for independance.....  

Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
macroy

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:00pm »

All this because some poor sod wanted a day off work.Roy Grin
IP Logged
tintin

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:07pm »

ROFL ROFL ROFL

its an old political ploy to raise this issue, always gets disproved. i was born in scotland, raised in london, living in scotland for last 12 years. heard it all before....

would we get St Andrews Day off?  Grin
IP Logged

'95 Cosworth Ultima
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.