Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:28pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Motorcyclists »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Motorcyclists
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Motorcyclists  (Read 1865 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Motorcyclists
« on: Mar 25th, 2007, 2:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This morning (24th) there were two fatalities on the M25, J28 over the Brentwood turn off.

It involved...1 lorry...3 cars...& 5 motorbikes  Shocked

Both the fatalities were motorcyclists.

Having accidents on the M25 like this are not uncommon...but to involve 5 motorcyclists is very uncommon.

I don't know the reasons for this accident, but I can only make assumptions that the bikers were doing a high speed convoy that didn't quite turn out right  Undecided

It's a very sobering thought that a biker can die a much nastier death on the road than a motorist  Undecided

My question is....when a motorcyclist gets on their bike...do they drive the same as they would when they drive a car...i.e....obey speed limits & respect other road users....or does adrenaline take priority over judgement ?

I personally think that the latter is the case.

Bike riders have to be more alert on the roads, as they are the ones most likely to be hurt...so why don't a large majority of riders seem to consider this fact ?

They break speed limits most of the time (never seem to get caught) & give the finger to any other tax paying road user that happens to get in their way.

Certainly, there are many cases of car drivers pulling out on a bike due to 'lack of due care & attention'.....but I reckon a lot of bike riders should take notice of speed limits....as alot of drivers don't expect a small two wheeled vehicle to be doing double the speed limit when they look right, then left, then right again.

Motorcyclists....it's in your hands as to how much you value your lives.......go with the flow, & don't assume that everyone else knows your next move  Wink
IP Logged
dogma

THE IVE NOT GOT A CLUE MONSTER

View Profile Email

Re: Motorcyclists
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 2:56am »

Agree Agreei couldnt agree more, i was a biker for years and i rode with sence, but i also lost a lot of good friends due to there own fault and fault of others.  I look out for people on bikes but how many times have i been on the road when a bike under takes me at high speed, if id pulled over without looking he would of had it.  Sometimes you can look but still not see them as they can just appear due to the speeds these machines now can do. My friend who is sadly no longer with us had a HYABUSA, this thing could do 190 mph as standard and he wanted it to go faster, if that came up behind you would you see it or would he have good enough breaks or control to slow it down enough before he and the bike becomes part of your car
good subject mate, its one that touches a nerve
jim
IP Logged

LIKE MY CAR, WIDE WITH BIG TYRES
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 1:31pm »

Agree Agree

Yes I totally agree, I think in most cases it's a case of the rider letting the influence of others rule the head, we have all watched the racing on Cadwell Park and Donnington etc but these people need to realise that the speeds used in these instances do NOT fit in with the conditions of everyday roadusing RIP to many of them .....

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 3:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i agree to an extent,but IMHO the younger breed of bikers are to blame,the more elder,experienced "born again bikers" who have been diving cars (or 4x4's  Wink) and then gone to back to bikes are a lot more sensible,they tend to be more wary and road "user friendly"....
some of the yonger ones with no fear what so ever,really are suicidal sometimes......
heres a thought though,you can pass your driving test on a monday morning,and monday afternoom be drving a ferrari etc....
but now to ride more powerfull bikes (a hyabusa for example  Wink) you have to go up in stages on tests....
a step in the right direction i think....
should possibly be the same for cars     Undecided
IP Logged
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 5:22pm »

I used to have a motorbikelet and the only accident I ever had was somebody rear-ended me on a junction because they thought I'd pulled off and I hadn't.  Mind you, riding terrified me (though it was a great feeling on a nice day with a straight empty road ahead of you) so I always rode like I wanted to survive!  My instructor gave me good advice - if you don't make eye-contact with another road user then assume they haven't seen you.

Darren
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 5:54pm »

on Mar 25th, 2007, 5:22pm, sector-9 wrote:
if you don't make eye-contact with another road user then assume they haven't seen you.

Very good advice!
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
v4-max aka Cheekyboy1

focus cc  mk3 mondeo 2.0 auto cbx750 vt600

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 6:32pm »

the accident was on the local news, it was caused by a car driver [bmw] who forced a lorry to swerve and over turn the car driver has been charged with dangerous driving and driving witout due care no doubt he will get dealt with very seriouly, probably get a £50 fine and told not to do it again.
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 8:30pm »

couldnt disagree more jonny, ive ridden bikes and driven cars since i was about 20, im a fair bit older now (not quite simmo's generation  Grin) so have plenty of experience.
'My question is....when a motorcyclist gets on their bike...do they drive the same as they would when they drive a car...i.e....obey speed limits & respect other road users....or does adrenaline take priority over judgement ?'

the answer is simple, if bikers got on their bikes and drove as car drivers do they would all be dead.

They break speed limits most of the time (never seem to get caught) & give the finger to any other tax paying road user that happens to get in their way.  

no difference to cars in that respect really, aqlthough bikes can often be assumed to be speeding due to engine revs (most dont redline till 15000) and race cans (which sometimes improve performance but are more often fitted because cars drivers are often blind and normally dont use mirrors, so at least they might hear us!)

Bike riders have to be more alert on the roads, as they are the ones most likely to be hurt...so why don't a large majority of riders seem to consider this fact ?  

well, we have to be more alert due to moronic car drivers, but yes we are more likely to get hurt, and believe me, it does hurt! actually come to think of it, my left leg wrote off a mk1 granny that was in the middle of restoration once, thanks to its idiot driver doing a u turn without looking.

Certainly, there are many cases of car drivers pulling out on a bike due to 'lack of due care & attention'..

fact; more than half of all bike deaths are caused by other road users

as alot of drivers don't expect a small two wheeled vehicle to be doing double the speed limit when they look right, then left, then right again.  

thats the problem, they should. apart from the double the speed limit bit which is a dubious generalisation, how many drivers do you see looking 'right again'?
car drivers seem to have the assumption that as there are more cars on the road than anything else, thats all they need to concern themselves with, the amount that havent a clue about other vehicles characteristics is quite frankly frightening, whether they be motorbikes, lorries, cyclists, artics, buses, horses, tractors etc, all of which have an equal right to the road.

Motorcyclists....it's in your hands as to how much you value your lives.......go with the flow, & don't assume that everyone else knows your next move    

unfortunately jonny it very often isnt. its often been stated by motoring organisations, the police etc that the ideal way of reducing motorcycle accidents is to make all people learning to drive cars ride a motorbike/moped for 12 months first.

please dont assume (as lots seem too) that because theres a motorbike accident its the bikers fault, as in this accident like many others, it was a car driver.

lastly, i must apologise if my reply seems a tad angered jonny, nothing personal, but as a biker when i see threads like this i start to get touchy, however, im glad you posted it as it gives me an open and honest insight into how drivers (who've never ridden) view bikers.

on a worrying note, i havent been on my bike sites for a while so hadnt heard about this accident, im now a bit anxious as my ex girlfriend lives over that way and i know she was going out on her bike today.......

IP Logged

Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 12:37am »

Points taken Taliban...& very well put forward mate  Wink

I don't ride a bike...never have done...& don't intend to  Smiley

But there does seem to be a differing opinion on a car driver's perspective of the road & a bikers perspective of the road  Undecided

Cars must out-number bikes on the road by at least 10 - 1....so when you see bikers blatently breaking speed limits, then you tend to notice it more.

Maybe it's a deeply ingrained jealousy that bikes are faster than cars & can weave in & out of traffic  Undecided

As Craig mentioned above...it's not the older more experienced riders that are at risk......because they know how to ride a bike.....it's the younger, inexperienced riders who are the ones that don't realise that a 1.5 ton heap of metal on wheels will kill them  Roll Eyes.........

"due care & attention" should be practised by both bikers & car drivers......but unfortunately it isn't  Undecided

Which is why I said that bikers have to be more aware than car drivers....because they are the one's who will come off worse  Wink......

I know car drivers should be more aware, but the fact is, they aren't. Alot think they are great drivers, but aren't really, because they only look for other cars & don't consider bikes or cyclists, or even pedestrians.....jay-walking isn't a crime in this country & the pedestrian has the right of way over any vehicle  Tongue

There are also the mid life crisis/second childhood brigade that go & buy a big bike to try & re-capture what they missed out on in their teenage years  Huh

IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 1:01am »

Just noticed this comment taliban  Wink

"the answer is simple, if bikers got on their bikes and drove as car drivers do they would all be dead"....

....maybe that's why so many bikers die on the roads ?  Undecided

IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 8:29am »

both the lorry and the bmw car went through the centre barrier, the lorry on its side over all 3 lanes, the bikes had no where to go.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
fordnut

im Big im Grumpy but im very nice

windlkev
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 9:46am »

I ride a bike and drive when i ride my bike i ride to stay alive.riding a bike has made me a better driver also ,because on a bike you think more and adapt your style of driving or riding to the weather conditions/approaching juntions or roundabouts/distance to the vehicle in front of you...you get good and bad wether they are on a bike or in a car ( or lorry )..But i must add when im on my bike i can not stand the those cars ( mainly huge 4x4 's ) with those spinning wheel rims that make the car seem like its still moving even when they are standing still i saw one sitting at a junction the other day i did not know if he was going to pull out in front of me or let me pass due to his wheels were still spinning... Shocked
IP Logged

i never apologise.I'm sorry but thats the way i am
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 12:30pm »

a nerve touching subject indeed here, having said that you dont even ride a bike then making the assumption that the bikers must have been speeding would be the equivalent of saying 'all cab drivers drive like idiots' having seen a few doing u-turns as and where they please, does picking up a fare take priority over safe judgement? as the saying goes, 'assumptions are the mother of all mess ups'...

tali is absolutely spot on with his reply, and i'd certainly agree with making new drivers ride on the road for at least 12 months, at 16 i had a bike on the road for the 12 months before learning to drive, the experiance certainly taught you to be looking everywhere at the same time. this experiance i would like to think what enabled me to pass first time without a single minor, and have the examiner at the end say he couldnt find fault with my driving  Grin im now 20 and have just bought myself another bike for geting around town on as the traffic is so bad, i would say that compared to 4 years ago i would actually say that drivers are more aware of bikers on the road, possibly due to the numbers increasing, or simply the area i live in (Boxhill is only 10 minutes away, or 5 on a bike  Tongue)  Undecided

this topic shouldn't be a have dig at motorcyclists opportunity as they were on the correct side of the road doing the speed limit for all we know, the first thing i noticed was that 3 letter badge beginning with B which is commonly assciated with bad driving (although there are some exceptions  Roll Eyes) causing the accident, with the accident resulting in the tragic death of 2 bikers.

Quote:
& the pedestrian has the right of way over any vehicle

i wouldn't go stepping out in front of me then!!  @

Matt
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 11:10am »

Ok...I can see that I'm just digging a bigger hole for myself to fall into if I write anymore on this subject & maybe I was making some assumptions that may not have been true.

I suppose I was writing from experiences & opinions & maybe wasn't looking at the bigger picture, but it's always good to know what other peoples opinions are on such a touchy subject. Opinions that you wouldn't know if you didn't talk about it  Smiley

Lets just say that you get idiots driving cars & you get idiots riding bikes & you get idiots who walk infront of both, & of course, you get plenty of idiots driving cabs  Wink

Matt....If you said "like saying alot of cab drivers drive like idiots"....then I think that it would be pretty close to the truth. Alot of cabbies do drive like morons, especially the ones on radio cicuits who are late for jobs......but that's another topic  Smiley
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 11:38am »

hi there

can we all have a read of this post by forum admin.

cheers
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 3:39pm »

I would like to add one more comment to this post if I may & I promise that it does not involve slating bikers as a whole, just this particular one.

About 2 hours ago, me, my wife & 2 1/2 year old (in his pushchair) were in Wickford high street waiting to cross the road at a zebra crossing. There was also a young mother with a pram waiting to cross from the other side.  
When all the traffic had stopped we all proceeded to cross. Unfortunately a guy on a bike had different ideas....he went around the stopped cars & proceeded to weave in between the pram & pushchair on the crossing, narrowly avoiding both....infact we had to stop otherwise there was a good chance that he would have clipped my little boys legs  Angry
Everyone, including people on the pavement just looked on in total dis-belief  Shocked

So what did I do....well I gave chase on foot, but alas, I'm no Lynford Christie  Roll Eyes

All I can add to this is, I got your number pal & reported you to the police. And if I see you again whilst in my Scorp, then you'd better hope that you can still outrun me then  Wink
IP Logged
mazzy_j

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 7:29pm »

Quote:
Lets just say that you get idiots driving cars & you get idiots riding bikes & you get idiots who walk infront of both, & of course, you get plenty of idiots driving cabs  

Agree  Agree Well said indeed  Smiley

As we all know its the few inconsiderate individuals like that biker who give everyone else a bad name, i certainly hope the police get in touch with him for some words.  

Matt

p.s. Apologies for the  Lips Sealed in my last post
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 7:40pm »

Grin
IP Logged
dh_dove

There's no substitute for cubic capacity.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 7:55pm »

Johnnycab
I think the answer to your original question was in the first line of your post..........24th March.
Our favourite watering hole is on a crossroads with traffic lights on the A46 (popular biking route), we enjoy sitting in the window seat and watching the world go by over a pint or two of Abbot Ale.......... Wink
It was very noticeable this last weekend how, after seeing very few bikes during the winter all of a sudden there were dozens of them.........ALL highly polished etc.
I think every fair weather biker (and possibly his dog) was out for the first time last weekend........
Out of practice, slower reflexes and something to prove........a recipe for disaster Embarassed
I'm surprised there weren't more serious accidents........
DH Dove
IP Logged
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 9:14pm »

dh, you could replace biker with scorpio owner, or put another way whats the difference between bikers going out and meeting up when the sun comes out and a car owners group?

Out of practice, slower reflexes and something to prove........a recipe for disaster  
I'm surprised there weren't more serious accidents........  

out of practice, yep, i know that feeling, i ached all over the other week, and actually i find when im out of practice i ride a lot slower and my reflexes are all eager, probably a bit too eager, dunno about other bikers. as for something to prove, true for some, but an assumption about all.
if you read down the posts you'll see that the accident jonny was talking about the bikers were totally blameless........

i think its a psycological thing with bikes, people always assume when a bikers 'down' its the bikers fault, even my mum has (and she loves bikes), was in the car with her last summer went round a bend, bike down, his mates helping him, no real damage or injury it was a low speed spill, my mum says 'ooooh going too fast'. i asked her how she knew that? she just said 'well they do dont they'. it turned out the road had been re surfaced and his rear tyre slipped out from under him on loose gravel. a bike copper also told me that cars are more likely to pull out on bikes than cars possibly because of their size.

jonny im glad you reported that biker, theres no excuse for that kind of riding, unfortunately i see exactly the same everyday down the kings road, but with cyclists.........

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.