Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 6:25pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« clay bars........ »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   clay bars........
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: clay bars........  (Read 1286 times)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

clay bars........
« on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

absolutely brilliant, can be had off ebay for under a tenner.
did my bonnet with one today; you just lightly stroke it back and forth over the washed surface using detail polish as lube, once done wash the residue off. it leaves an exceptionally smooth finish to the paint removing old wax, microscopic pieces of dirt etc. once done, put on a couple of coats of polish/sealant, it takes a while but the result is worth it, can be used on glass too.........
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

Re: clay bars........
« Reply #1 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:15am »

I bought one off Ebay a couple of months back but haven't used it yet....not sure what kind of soapy water to use.

I've read up on it on various websites & they say to use a 'special soap'...but I was thinking of a spray gun with a soap/water mix  Undecided...........does this sound about right to you ? Smiley
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:21am »

I have just bought a kit from meguiars and some 'Scratch X' Have used the Scratch X and was quite impressed - I had cleaned the car first but the amount of dirt it lifted was quite shocking!

I hope to use the clay this weekend - it comes with a spray liquid.

The site has quite a good advice section and a forum where you can get some good tips!

Dave
IP Logged
Daven

I'm a cheeky Boy! (Simmos fan club)

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 4:13pm »

Well managed to run the clay bar over the car this weekend - I must admit it has worked better than my expectation!

I sponge washed the car first, chamois leathered it dry and then used the clay bar - the bar comes like a small bar of soap and is like Blu-tak.

The bar started off pure white but after using half of it on the roof it had an almost brown colour to it.
I thought it may be the liquid that you use as a lubricant but when I checked it was a clear liquid! So the bar was getting something off the car!

I finished by waxing as normal - I now keep looking and thinking it has never looked as clean, since I bought the car I have never been truly satisfied with the finish - almost as if the clear coat had a bloom to it! Not now!! Cheesy

Dave

Dave
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 4:21pm »

hi there

i'm going to buy one as well. i don't think it'll do much for my silver car, which is very smooth anyway. Undecided

anyone used it on a light coloured car?

really want it for my son's black car. should be good for that. Smiley
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 11:18pm »

Andrew, If you have not used one before you will see results believe me, Remember to use a good wax after claying and polishing Wink
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 7:47am »

hi richard

thanks for that. i wasn't too sure how much it would work on the silver paint. a bit like polishing/waxing it. it goes nice and shiny, but it's not like a dark coloured car. lovely deep, wet look about it. Smiley

will give it a go and post results later.
IP Logged
RichardMS

More mods coming soon !

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 9:00am »

I know what you mean about the colour but how smooth the paint is afterwards is fantastic.
http://www.meguiars.com/video/index.cfm?vid=1
IP Logged

DJWerkz

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 1:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I use the California clay bars and their own cleaning fluid, it works exceptionally well.
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 1:24pm »

hi there

just finished using the Meguiars clay bar on the wifes (normally mine now) honda civic. it's a silver colour as is my scorpio. my opinion is that for a light coloured car, you're better off with MER.
yes, the paintwork comes up all nice and smooth, but you then need to polish/wax it afterwards, as all the wax has been removed. Mer on the otherhand, adds a wax at the same time as smoothing the paintwork. you can then wax it another day.

now on a darker coloured car (son's black megane), the clay bar was the winner by miles. we used his as the test car. because it doesn't leave a residue (or very little), you don't get all the white powder in all the gaps, etc. we're going to do his again as we only put Jofs wax on afterwards and not Comma top gloss polish, then wax.

this is only my opinion and the products that i/we used.

hth

ps, if your paintwork is as rough as a file, Mer might not be able to smooth it out. that's where the clay bar would come into it's own as you can really work it, if required.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28th, 2007, 3:14pm »

Got myself a Meguiars clay bar and some Jofs on order, had some scratches on the Mondeo touched in last year and I've never been happy with the way the bodyshop finished them. Would like the paintwork to be smoother Roll Eyes.

I used to swear by Autoglym but it just doesn't cut it on the Jag for some reason, strange thing is that Auto Express said Autoglym High Gloss was better than Super Resin but I always found Resin was better, easier to polish off and gave a smoother surface...

Really bought the Scorp up well (looked like it'd been attacked with Ajax when I bought it) but I guess it's different types of paint, the Jag is lacquered but non metallic...pain in the bum to get rid of the swirl lines and black shows everything Smiley.

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 2nd, 2007, 6:05pm »

The Jofs was great, had a couple of hours last night and gave it a try. Goes on easier than Autoglym and polishes off easier, also seems to leave a protective film on the paint that feels a bit like the old paraffin microfibre things Roll Eyes

I've never seen a 12 year old motah look so clean and shiny Cheesy

I've been an Autoglym man for years but I've gotta admit this is better.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 3rd, 2007, 12:11am »

scorpio man........you will never get the same finish comparing mer and a clay bar; one's a polish, the other removes polish. mer (or any other polish) will never smooth the paint to the result of a clay bar. the idea of the clay bar is a kind of pre polish/wax treatment........
IP Logged

taliban aka Cheekyboy2

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 3rd, 2007, 12:18am »

jonny, any kind of mild soapy water will do really, it only acts as a lubricant, all the sellers of clay bars advertise using 'detail polish' as a lubricant, but thats only because they can make another 8 quid out of you, the main thing is dont use the clay bar dry......
IP Logged

pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: May 3rd, 2007, 7:30am »

Huh

What's this clay bars? the name conjours up memories of the old days when my mam used to use a donkey stone on the front door stepHuh? Grin

lol Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: May 3rd, 2007, 8:57am »

on May 3rd, 2007, 12:11am, taliban wrote:
scorpio man........you will never get the same finish comparing mer and a clay bar; one's a polish, the other removes polish. mer (or any other polish) will never smooth the paint to the result of a clay bar. the idea of the clay bar is a kind of pre polish/wax treatment........

hi there

i think you've miss read what i wrote. my reference to MER was for use on a light coloured car (silver), though use of both products on it. i then went on to state that the clay bar was the winner on darker coloured cars, again though use of both products on it. if you use MER with a clean white cloth, you will see the 'dirt' on the applying cloth as you use it.

i finished up by saying that if your car was that bad to start with, regardless of colour, then you'd better use the clay bar.

i hope this clears up any mis-understanding regarding my opinion of both products. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.