Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Helping someone to buy a car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   Helping someone to buy a car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Helping someone to buy a car  (Read 425 times)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

Helping someone to buy a car
« on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The last few days have been a nightmare.
My brother in law told me he wanted to get a two seater soft top and had about 6k to spend.
Would I mind going and having a look at an mx5 in a local dealers that he had been to view that morning.
No Probs said I so off we whent.
When we got there the salesman made a mad dash towards the car which was inside the very crampt show room. He generaly got in the way and tried to distract me from the job in hand. When I popped the bonnet he was quick to point out the after market alarm and generaly whittered on and got in the way.
I was suspicious about the seam sealent on the off side inner wing, it looked like silicone does around the bath when you run your finger over it.
By chance there was onother mx5 of similar age right next to it so I asked the sales man to lift the bonnet on that one. He said no problem but made a point of closing the bonnet on the one we were looking at, infact I was very lucky to get my hands out in time.
At this point I had sean enough and said in a loud and happy voice its time to leave this guys a joke. Obviously the salesman was not happy and murmered a few insults as we walked towards the door.
As I opened the door he did say something that caught my ear so i turned and looked at him when I felt my brother in laws hand on my shoulder. He said watch this Al, My brother in law then removed the biggest roll of notes I have ever sean from his pocket, waved it at the guy and said if you weren't such an not a very nice person this could have been yours.
The next one we whent to see looked absolutely mint, very well presented and had no signs of any previous prangs, not even a shopping trolley mark on any pannel.  
It had new discs all round as well as new tyres. The documented history was extensive.
The car was on a grassy area next to the forcourt as I popped the bonnet the salesman arrived with the keys and asked would you like to hear it running gentlemen. As he started it it sounded okay so I let it warm up to operating temp and then gave it a bit of a rev from the throttle linkage. There was a hidious rattle, you know that terminal clanky rattle of a broken crank.
I said switch it off in a demanding type voice, the sales man looked hugely embarresed I checked the oil and you guessed it not a drop. I showed the dipstick to the sales man and said to my brother in law its time to walk AGAIN.
These are the two worst cases out of seven but all seven had good reasons not to buy them.
All of these cars were in dealers so to be honest there is no good reason why the dealers couldn't have done some basic checks on the cars before they are presented for sale.
Kind of annoys me when a bloke has a pocket full of money to buy a car and we can't find one single good one.
By the way, I did mention he could keap 5 of his 6k and get a scorp but I think I may have scared him by being a bit heavy with the right foot as we were going to view these cars. Grin
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: Helping someone to buy a car
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 7:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
There was a hidious rattle, you know that terminal clanky rattle of a broken crank.

OUCH.........That will teach them to check the oil..... ROFL  ROFL  ROFL

You are right Al. Some of these 'Motor Dealers' are so eager to take your money, but can't even look after the basics.

I know you are like me, a serious DIY mechanic who knows his way round a car. When I go looking at cars for myself or friends, then the first thing I always do is check the oil. I physically smell the dipstick. If it's not spotless, I walk.

This has served me well over the years. Dirty oil means lack of servicing. Or No servicing. Period. A good car will have been serviced regularly, either by a garage or its careful owner, and has a 'looked after' feel to it. Little giveaways under the bonnet like all the levels being correct, belts/chains taut and no leaks or smells.The car will 'sit' well, without any lean. It will be clean and tidy inside and out. Fresh paint spray traces on tyres or exhaust ends are an immediate 'car failure' if buying from a dealer.  

A light touch of grease on the door hinges, smoothly operating , un-keyed locks and sunroof. Windows that glide rather than shudder. Switches that actually DO what they are supposed to do. A radio Code in the Handbook......Yes and a handbook.

Might seem to be asking a lot for a lower priced car, but that's the way I buy them. The seller wants a deal. Make him work for his money, but be fair, and don't expect total perfection. Likewise though, you don't want to buy a pile of parrots.  Shocked

ALWAYS test drive for at least 20 miles. If they aren't happy with that.....Walk. The car must run properly, smoothly change gears (all of them including reverse), and on return, the car should be running smoothly and quietly, and have no noises or leaks.

I travelled up to Staffordshire early in 2006, a 500 mile round trip, to buy my Scorpio 2,9 12v.  The garage that were selling it (Perry's of Swadlincote), had advertised it accurately, at a sale price of £1200, which I had knocked them down on, and when I arrived 4 hours earlier than I had told them that I would, the car was on the ramps having a full service. And I MEAN a full service. Wheels were off, oil was out, diff and gearbox oils were being changed etc etc.

The owner had no problems with me inspecting it, and test driving it. I even got tea!! A more helpful and courteous garage would be hard to find.

My drive home to Torquay with my wife following in her MR2 was a dream. She said the car looked 'fantastic'. She loves it to this day. I even let her drive it now and then.....when she's good!  Grin

Finally, like your friend.....always pay with "The Wedge".
The sight of cash does funny things to these guys. They are transfixed by it.  Cheesy They are hypnotised by it, Shocked and knocking the price down, whilst clutching a fat wad is almost childs play.  Grin  Grin

14 Months on, I have a car which has no known faults, looks terrific, sailed through its MOT and is the envy of several of our friends who can't believe that I paid just £1000 for it!  Smiley

IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 11:55am »

I'm always aghast at  male  friends and  colleagues    ( of my age, 50ish )   pride  at    "  not knowing a thing about cars  ".  

I listen with relish and  a hidden smile as they  fume about being ripped off  by garages when it comes to servicing and repairs .  

What did they do in their youth,   are they  girls  ?   Kiss  

After 30 years of  tinkering  and servicing   cars  I'm   as  knowledgeable about    cars  as  some   professional  mechanics
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 2:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Me too. The proud speakers of such subjects as:

"I can't even change a plug" (as in the 3 pin domestic variety),  and "I don't even know where the bonnet catch is"...........

Yeah....they make me wince too!!!!   You are right. They are GIRLS, or to quote from a recent episode of Life on Mars..................Amoebas with learning difficulties!!  Grin  Grin
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 2:42pm »

That bit about showing the salesman the roll of money is brilliant  Grin
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 3:23pm »

Al, that's a great story mate, I too love the bit about the wad of notes, would liked to have been there Cheesy Wink

There's a few car dealerships around here (read:ROGUES) and sometimes if I see something I like I have a browse (Do I have the money? Don't ask silly questions ! Roll Eyes Grin).  

I've been lucky with my cars, even though I bought the Scorp as seen (cash from a rogue selling artics and vans) minus tax and MOT and it cost me a few £££ to put right (cost me easily what I saved just to get it through the MOT), it was a good car overall and in pretty good nick once cleaned up. The way I saw it was I needed a car and had always liked the Scorpio,  the price of Scorps hadn't crashed at that time, I could've paid £3k from a dealer forecourt and had the same problems so get one cheap and know about them before I start...

With the Sport, I saw it on eBay and went to see it out of curiosity. But, he was so honest about it and left me alone to look it over and then we took it out a few miles on the quiet Sunday roads and really opened it up, driven hard it was so smooth and powerful for a 12 year old car.  

Now I've sold the Scorp it looks like I'll be needing one soon, the job I'm hoping for is miles away....oh well Grin

Regards, Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
cossie_al

Ex 24v

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 8:15pm »

Aye! the sales man on the second car was deffinately more insulted by 6k rolled up tight with an elastic band round it. I was about to give him a mouth full but I couldn't have said anything to make him feal any worse than he already did.
When my brother in law first told me what style of car he was looking for, and how much he wanted to spend I was convinced we would find a mint low mileage example owned by an enthusiast with a tweed jacket and pipe.  
how wrong can a man be.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.