Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:23pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« What a find..... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Off Topic Subjects
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Simmo, Baz)
   What a find.....
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What a find.....  (Read 900 times)
Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

What a find.....
« on: Apr 14th, 2007, 3:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Rang 'round a few breakers today trying to hunt down a windscreen washer pump.

I wasn't having much success until I remembered a small breakers about half a mile from where I live.

I gave him a call & he said "yea, I've got one...a fiver"...result  Wink

When I got there ten minutes later, I couldn't believe it....a silver 'P' reg, 2.3 Ultima completely intact  Shocked....now there's something you don't see in a breakers very often  Wink

He told me that he's had it a couple of months, but hasn't had much interest for parts...mainly due to the fact that it's small breakers & no-one knows he's there, & told me if there was anything else I wanted on it then the parts were cheap.

I opened the door & was met with a raven leather interior that looked as though it had never been sat on....it still had that new leather smell  Smiley

Popped the bonnet, had a look at the engine....& that's when my eyes lit up & very broad grin made it's way from ear to ear......what looked to be an almost brand new inlet manifold with no signs of cracking & was dry as a bone with no evidence of leakage (white residue) was staring back at me. Checked the coolant tank & it was still full to the max  Cool  

I asked him how much he wanted for the manifold & he said £35.00  Cheesy....I told him I'd be back in ten minutes with my tools  Grin

I felt like I'd found the unfindable & so close to home as well....for almost a tenth of the price that FMD want, & alot cheaper than a dodgy one off Ebay  Cool

When I got back & started removing all the parts necessary to access the manifold bolts I realised that the manifold wasn't the only new looking part...

....The wiring loom looked new as well & was nice & flexible with no signs of breakage or brittleness, the FPR looked new, the fuel rail was still nice & shiney with no oily grot on it & the throttle was nice & clean.

An hour later, & the whole lot was in my boot as well as the MAF, resonator & trunking (looked clean as well, so I threw that in for good measure)....oh & of course, the windscreen washer pump  Roll Eyes

Being an honest guy, I showed the yard owner my treasure hoard & said I'd obviously pay him a few bob more for the extra parts.

"OK"...he said..."£40.00 for the lot"  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I also asked him about the seats & he said I could have the seats, door cards etc for £50.00  Shocked...as long as I took them out myself.........no problem  Cool

The only trouble is...even though the seats are immaculate & alot better condition than mine....my facelift has air bags in the front seats, where as this pre-facelft doesn't....

...Is it possible to replace the seats & just leave the airbag connectors unplugged ?....will this affect the steering wheel & passenger airbags ? Wink
IP Logged
Spannerdemon

Email

Re: What a find.....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 6:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

God....I'd have offerd him for the car!! What a find!  Wink
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 8:50am »

hi jc

great find. re the seats, though. you can't change them. your vin plate states the number of airbags so your insurance would be void if something happened and the air bag light would flash.

shame that.
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 10:10am »

The holy grail of breakers yard finds!

Nice work, glad you got some useful bits.

I remember finding a 24v Ultima in a yard about 30 miles from me a couple of years ago, was like a kid at Christmas, though my squeeling was a bit embarassing  Grin
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 10:38am »

And does it have silver boot hingesHuh Grin (re my post in parts wanted)

Nice find as well JC
IP Logged
pete from Hull

Non Scorpio at the moment, but still interested...

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 11:35am »

NoNo

johnnycab  
dont tell the scrapman about this site or he'll put the prices up..... Grin

Pete
IP Logged

Bring back fair wages.........
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 12:31pm »

on Apr 14th, 2007, 8:50am, scorpio_man wrote:
hi jc

great find. re the seats, though. you can't change them. your vin plate states the number of airbags so your insurance would be void if something happened and the air bag light would flash.

shame that.

Not to worry.....I'm gonna have to convince myself that my drivers seat isn't worn, but is actually like a well matured leather armchair  Wink

Baz...I didn't look at the boot hinges (only had eyes for the manifold), but I may be down there again next week, as I think I may be requiring the starter motor  Roll Eyes......so I'll have a look, but it maybe that he would want to sell the whole boot...I'll let you know  Smiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 2:09pm »

Well done JC... looks like your luck is on the way up!!.Regards, Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ferretmobile

2.3 saloon S reg & all the toys. mmmm toys

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 4:35pm »

Hi JC, I am fairly local to you...does this remarkable find have a decent front grill and chrome trim? if so could we possibly meet up and I could hand over cash to you for the above mentioned. If it does and you do, I will roll on my back and bark for you... ROFL
Ferret Wink
IP Logged
Kjetil S

2001 BMW 520iat

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 5:28pm »

Jonnycab, It should be possible to swap the leather from one seat to another. Maybe not easier than swapping the whole seats, but atleast legal  Wink

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/interior/seat/fseatback98+.pdf
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/interior/seat/fseatcushhi.pdf
IP Logged

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Norway
sector-9

No scorpio anymore

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 8:46pm »

Interesting point regarding the airbags - on Friday I replaced my cloth interior with full leather from a scrap Scorp, however my original seats had mechanical pre-tensioners whereas the new one has electric ones.  Of course, the wiring isn't in place for the new seats so at the moment the tensioners aren't connected to anything and won't fire in the event of a collision.  Fortunately, the SRS module on mine is only designed for the driver's airbag and is none the wiser that the belt tensioners are different and won't work.

I wonder if this would affect my insurance?  Obviously it should only make a difference if I (or a front seat passenger) claim for personal injury and working tensioners would have prevented it..?

Darren
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 12:14am »

on Apr 14th, 2007, 4:35pm, ferretmobile wrote:

Hi JC, I am fairly local to you...does this remarkable find have a decent front grill and chrome trim? if so could we possibly meet up and I could hand over cash to you for the above mentioned. If it does and you do, I will roll on my back and bark for you... ROFL
Ferret Wink

The front grill & chrome looked fine to me, but didn't really get a close look...spent most of my time under the bonnet  Wink

I won't be able to get down there again 'till mid week to get the starter off, so I'll ask him how much he wants for the grill & chrome then.....or you could always ring him yourself to find out.

PM sent  Wink
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 2:26pm »

Cheers JC, got your PM. You will probably get there before me, what I am after doing is a chrome mesh job and need a grill insitu while I fettle a n other...if you see what I mean Wink
many thanks, Ferret Cheesy
IP Logged
Jonnycab

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 4:58pm »

Just been down to the breakers again....& had the auto dimming mirror out of it, as mine is broken.

He said, as he couldn't guarantee that it works & can't be bothered to test it, he let me have it for a fiver  Cool

I've fitted it in & guess what....it works  Grin
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 8:17pm »

Well done JC, As I said, time your luck picked up!!. Regards, Mike.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 9:14pm »

Hi JC have sent you a P.M.
Thanks in advance Wink
Graham
IP Logged
ferretmobile

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 8:49pm »

Hi Jon have sent you a PM about tommorow Wink
Graham
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.